Apr 4, 2010
Status
I am sort of kicking myself right now for not having planned this year out better. I am currently unemployed, living with my parents, trying desperately to find a position related to my degree. I didn't realize that finding a job would be so difficult (at least for me) and at this point, I don't think anyone would want to hire me (especially since I can only guarantee work for 6 months).

I started my job search during the end of my spring quarter of my senior year (mistake). I sort of took a break from searching (another mistake) while traveling to Asia with friends and family for one and a half months during the summer. The entire time I kept thinking something would come up soon and I planned my year around having a job. However, now, December is closing in and it seems unlikely I would find anything worthwhile.

I am somewhat depressed and distraught because I feel like I am just wasting a year while everyone is moving on with their lives. I mean how pathetic is it to be 22, living with your parents and unemployed? What will the adcoms think?

That's not to say I'm completely dormant right now. I still volunteer at the hospital and at a local hospice and I've been taking random classes at community college for fun (like astronomy and music). I am also looking to volunteer with an organization as an ESL tutor/teacher (which is something I've always wanted to do). I am currently studying for a retake of the mcat (which is by far the weakest portion of my application). So I am doing something.

However, because of my job situation, I just feel so useless and unworthy of medical school now. I mean if I can't even get a decent job... how can I even hope to get into medical school when med school is several orders more competitive? It's completely wrecking my confidence like none other and I am incredibly lucky my family is helping me out.

What do you guys think I should do? I feel like maybe I should give up on the job search at this point (maybe work part time at starbucks) and pour my energy into finding meaningful volunteer work, studying for the MCAT and perhaps taking more classes at community college (such as beginners acting or mythology).

I came into this year expecting to experience the "real world" but man I did not expect this.

(sorry for being so negative, it's just the state I am in right now)

PharmyDude

Removed
Sep 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I am sort of kicking myself right now for not having planned this year out better. I am currently unemployed, living with my parents, trying desperately to find a position related to my degree. I didn't realize that finding a job would be so difficult (at least for me) and at this point, I don't think anyone would want to hire me (especially since I can only guarantee work for 6 months).

I started my job search during the end of my spring quarter of my senior year (mistake). I sort of took a break from searching (another mistake) while traveling to Asia with friends and family for one and a half months during the summer. The entire time I kept thinking something would come up soon and I planned my year around having a job. However, now, December is closing in and it seems unlikely I would find anything worthwhile.

I am somewhat depressed and distraught because I feel like I am just wasting a year while everyone is moving on with their lives. I mean how pathetic is it to be 22, living with your parents and unemployed? What will the adcoms think?

That's not to say I'm completely dormant right now. I still volunteer at the hospital and at a local hospice and I've been taking random classes at community college for fun (like astronomy and music). I am also looking to volunteer with an organization as an ESL tutor/teacher (which is something I've always wanted to do). I am currently studying for a retake of the mcat (which is by far the weakest portion of my application). So I am doing something.

However, because of my job situation, I just feel so useless and unworthy of medical school now. I mean if I can't even get a decent job... how can I even hope to get into medical school when med school is several orders more competitive? It's completely wrecking my confidence like none other and I am incredibly lucky my family is helping me out.

What do you guys think I should do? I feel like maybe I should give up on the job search at this point (maybe work part time at starbucks) and pour my energy into finding meaningful volunteer work, studying for the MCAT and perhaps taking more classes at community college (such as beginners acting or mythology).

I came into this year expecting to experience the "real world" but man I did not expect this.

Stop WHINNING! Your taking random CC classes for fun? You travel all accross ASIA. Your obviously not paying for anything and that's the pathetic part, not that you live with your parents at 22. Do you know some people can't afford to rent a movie for fun so your traveling and spending hundreds of dollars on classes is unbelieveable. No one will feel sorry for your "horrid" MCAT score of 29. Feel unworthy for medical school because you can't relate to people who struggle to just get by, not because your not trying hard enough to get a job. GEESH.

Oct 14, 2009
Status

Hmm, sounds like you are in a slump. I'm from the dental forums and I also have a gap year. I went into my gap year expecting the same as you.

However, your gap year is what you make of it. I started my gap year extremely depressed like you. I felt everyone was moving on, doing something great etc etc. However, then I realized life is what you make of it.

I took up volunteering/semi-part-time job (which I will be quitting in December), running (almost able to qualify for the Boston Marathon when I never had run in my life previously), and looking forwards towards my first triathalon. In addition, I'm learning mandarin (language) at a JC, and will be traveling to Europe in January-March.

The way I see it- is that dental/med school will be tough as heck. This is your one time to enjoy life before embarking on that journey. Choose what makes you happy, and challenge yourself. The above things that I mentioned makes me happy and it challenges me. If you can find yourself doing that everyday, then it won't seem like you're wasting your life away.

Good luck!

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
There's no rule that says your job has to be related to your major. Go dig a ditch. (I'm not being facetious).

OP
P
Apr 4, 2010
Status
Stop WHINNING! Your taking random CC classes for fun? You travel all accross ASIA. Your obviously not paying for anything and that's the pathetic part, not that you live with your parents at 22. Do you know some people can't afford to rent a movie for fun so your traveling and spending hundreds of dollars on classes is unbelieveable. No one will feel sorry for your "horrid" MCAT score of 29. Feel unworthy for medical school because you can't relate to people who struggle to just get by, not because your not trying hard enough to get a job. GEESH.
I am sorry PharmyDude... I honestly didn't mean to anger you like this. You are absolutely right. I am in an incredibly lucky and fortunate position and here I am complaining...

I know what you are trying to say and I would be pissed if I were you too.

Like beat said... I'm just in a major slump. I'll just make sure to pursue things I enjoy, find whatever work I can and keep a better perspective on everything.

Last edited:

Evergrey

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
This is what I'm doing now. I work ~20 hours/week at Starbucks, mentor, volunteer at a SICU, and take a Spanish class at the community college. I've taken up shadowing too. Adding onto all the application work/flying I have to do for interviews, I am quite busy. It's a pretty good life, but it's really hard to live on part-time barista wages.

PharmyDude

Removed
Sep 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I am sorry PharmyDude... I honestly didn't mean to anger you like this. You are absolutely right. I am in an incredibly lucky and fortunate position and here I am complaining...

I know what you are trying to say and I would be pissed if I were you too.

Like beat said... I'm just in a major slump. I'll just make sure to pursue things I enjoy, find whatever work I can and keep a better perspective on everything.
I sent you a private message. My sent folder always says 0 so I'm not sure if you got it, but I hope so.

OP
P
Apr 4, 2010
Status
Yeah thanks a million for the message and everyone else who posted on this thread.

Sep 14, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Unemployment and underemployment are pretty rampant for all college graduates at this point in time. As a pre-med that's probably not going to make you feel any better since you're "elite" and have some genuine laboratory and scientific skills that supposedly make you marketable, at least compared to people with softer degrees like english or political science.

If you're volunteering you can at least say you've been doing something worthwhile with your time during your gap year. Try to get involved in research if you want something more academic, or do what you've been doing: travel a little, take up a new hobby, take some classes for fun, etc.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was a construction worker during my two year gap period. I also volunteered at a free health clinic and improved my ECs. The ad coms were cool with it. Now I am a 4th year med student and interviewing for residency.

Don't beat yourself up about the job situation or living with your parents. The economy is a bummer. That is reality.

startswithb

Future Urologist
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's a mistake a lot of young people make to wait for the "perfect job." Work anywhere. A long gap of unemployment actually makes you less marketable. I worked for $10/hour in a hospital lab for 7 months post-grad until I got my much better paying full-time research position at a med school. You never know when new positions or opportunites will pop up. Just get on the train instead of waiting around.

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

wanderer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Just find something bearable that pays even minimum wage and do it at least part time. If you only have 1 gap year what you do isn't so important as long as you do something. I only work part-time (but fill the rest of my week with other things) and things have been working out okay for me.

Southcane

7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2010
Status
OK, first of all, stop freaking out... one of the biggest problems with Pre-meds these days is that everyone freaks out so much! Soo.. take a deep breath and calm down. There is absolutely nothing wrong with relaxing for a year off.

I just finished up an entire year off and started med school this past August and trust me... you'll definitely be glad you've taken this break.
I didn't do anything medically or job related during my year off (another good decision) and I just traveled around Europe and India, caught up on A LOT of TV shows I hadn't been able to see, slept, hung out with my dog, and worked a few random temp jobs to fund things.

All in all.... don't worry if you don't get a steady job for this next year, just have fun, continue traveling, go to a temp agency and see about some part time work, and plan an exciting trip for the spring. Have you ever been mountain biking out west? Its a lot of fun, and admission committees like people who actually do exciting things with their lives instead of sitting at a desk studying.

Reactions: reticence