1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Freaking out. Another Do I have a chance this cycle (09)?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Sillygirl, May 28, 2008.

1. Sillygirl

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Okay so yah here's another one. Please help me out because I'm tossing and turning at night worrying about this. My situation is like this:

I have a 2.96 from UCLA. From what I've been seeing, my gpa should drop a lot? Is this correct? I noticed that UCLA gives a 2.7 for B- and Aadsas gives 2.6. And this corresponds to all the grades. My transcript is littered with c's and b-'s. So in my head my gpa is somewhere actually around a 2.7 or 2.8?

I have done a year of post bacc and completed Human anatomy, human physiology, neuroscience, neuroanatomy, molecular bio. histology, microbio and the biology of cancer with a 4.0. (if only the school i picked had A+'s i would have scored big but they don't!) So there's a huge chance that even though I have a year of straight A's, they won't look at me because my gpa won't be above a 3.0 right? :thumbdown:

I've already taken my DAT and scored a 22 aa. Pretty good, I could have done better but won't test my luck unless I need to. Do I need to? :oops:

Also I've been accepted to UMDNJ smp and will be starting this august. I've pretty much followed everything recommended in this forum and I'm pretty sure I'll get in eventually but the question remains. Do I have a shot for this cycle????

(I have nothing crazy for extra curriculars. Just shadowing a couple of dentists, and dental assisting at a free clinic but only for the last year)

Also should I mention that I was on academic probation on my application? I'm not quite sure when that was and don't even know how to check that anymore :p

Anyways thanks everyone for any imput I can get and good luck to everyone out there!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yes you must mention any disciplinary action. There are two questions one dealing with academic issues you've had and another with disciplinary issues outside of school. You must come clean. They are not out to get you they want to see an honest representation of you.

You seem to be well on your way to remedying your situation. Keep it up and congrats on a fantastic DAT score. :thumbup:

I doubt the AADSAS GPA discrepancy will help you or hurt you in any way. Regardless of the GPA you are still going to be at a disadvantage. Concentrate on doing a SMP if things don't pan out this year.

4. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Absolutely mentioned that you are on AP, and offer your most sincere explanation along with it.

It might look bad, but I thought it helped me and gave me a lot more to talk about during interviews.

5. Sillygirl

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks so much for your advice. I guess I should call UCLA and figure out which quarter it was that I was on AP.

I'm reading between the lines here but since no one has mentioned it I guess I have a slim chance of making it this cycle huh? *sigh* I'll get there eventually!

6. Bruinlove

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    By any chance, did you have any D or F and repeated them?

If so, you need to add them into the AADSAS GPA calculation.
    (This may drop your GPA by .2~.3)

If not, I think you still have a slight chance of getting in because of your good DAT score.

7. Sillygirl

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hmmm I have a C- and repeated it. Thats bad huh! Just gotta suck it up huh =(

8. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Shouldn't be that bad. I had so many C- and below on my transcript that I lost count...

9. UCSF2012

UCSF2012 Tooth Rehab Student
    2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    You should still apply this cycle. Polish up how you present yourself. The only top school I'd apply to is Columbia. As for others, it's the high acceptance rates. Tufts, BU, USC, Maryland, Buffalo, etc....

10. Sillygirl

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks Jigabodo that actually makes me feel better! :rolleyes: I'm definitely applying to Colombia although I don't know about my chances there. Most of those schools are on my list =)

As for polishing up my application. I'm not so good at that. I'll just have to work a lot at it and we'll have to see what happens. Thanks for all your input.

11. THDental

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think you will get in somewhere in this cycle. Even though you got a low undergrad GPA, you got a good post-bac GPA + high AA. You should practice on your interview skills, and do community services, the you are in a good shape. just follow your heart. My friend got in USC, and his BCP is below 3.0. He also graduated from UCLA. believe in yourself!
    Gud luck to you!!

12. Sillygirl

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks! Yah I'm just hoping I can get an interview because I'm usually pretty good with people. Keeping my fingers crossed!

13. dentaldude8

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    A 3.0 at UCLA is not that bad. Yes, its not great but it is far superior to a 3.0 from Chico State (no offense if you went there). With you great postbac grades and 22AA I think you'll be fine as long as you apply early.