Freaking out...just a little

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choo301

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I really should be thankful that I already have two interviews lined up (UConn and Georgetown), but I've gotten two rejections (BU and Vanderbilt) the past week that have sort of dampened my euphoria at being 2 for 2.

I have a 3.6 overall GPA (Psych major @ Gtown), and what I believe to be a relatively diverse set of extracurriculars. But what's keeping me up for a few minutes each night is whether I should have taken the MCAT again this past summer. I took the April administration and got a 35S (11PS/13V/11BS), but I had been scoring in the 40-42 range on the practice tests, so I figure I might as well take it again to see if I just froze up the first time around. So the second time I got a 39Q (14PS/11V/14BS), and now I'm thinking that maybe I should have just stuck to my first score, as it's not much of an improvement over the first take. Especially since I applied to Columbia, but didn't realize they converted 13+ on the VR as a 15 until after I had taken the MCAT a second time.

So basically, anyone know if getting two relatively similar scores reflects poorly on me when adcoms look over my application? I'm looking particularly at schools like UVA, Pitt, Case Western, and Mt. Sinai.

Members don't see this ad.

I know I really should be thankful that I already have two interviews lined up (UConn and Georgetown), but I've gotten two rejections (BU and Vanderbilt) the past week that have sort of dampened my euphoria at being 2 for 2.

I have a 3.6 overall GPA (Psych major @ Gtown), and what I believe to be a relatively diverse set of extracurriculars. But what's keeping me up for a few minutes each night is whether I should have taken the MCAT again this past summer. I took the April administration and got a 35S (11PS/13V/11BS), but I had been scoring in the 40-42 range on the practice tests, so I figure I might as well take it again to see if I just froze up the first time around. So the second time I got a 39Q (14PS/11V/14BS), and now I'm thinking that maybe I should have just stuck to my first score, as it's not much of an improvement over the first take. Especially since I applied to Columbia, but didn't realize they converted 13+ on the VR as a 15 until after I had taken the MCAT a second time.

So basically, anyone know if getting two relatively similar scores reflects poorly on me when adcoms look over my application? I'm looking particularly at schools like UVA, Pitt, Case Western, and Mt. Sinai.

um...r u serious? yes, if i were you, i would have rather stuck with having a life and kept my first score....but u did wayy better, like 99% percentile better, so no, i dont think they will care.

Members don't see this ad :)

The two scores are great scores (39 is excellent) so I think that they're the least of your worries. I don't think it would reflect poorly on you considering how high the scores are. But as an aside, I'm wondering what made you want to retake that damn test in the first place? A 35 is also awesome.

:confused:

troll.

sorry i'm not going to stroke your ego like the rest of these idiots.

I apologize if it seems like I'm showing off, but I am dead serious. Maybe I just keep terrible company for self-esteem purposes, as several of my good friends already have interviews from Johns Hopkins, Pitt, Northwestern, etc. (I forgot to mention that I only got a "recommended" from my pre-med committee, whereas everyone I know got a "highly recommended" or better).

So please don't label me as a "troll." I'm just looking for some honest advice. No harm intended.

I apologize if it seems like I'm showing off, but I am dead serious. Maybe I just keep terrible company for self-esteem purposes, as several of my good friends already have interviews from Johns Hopkins, Pitt, Northwestern, etc. (I forgot to mention that I only got a "recommended" from my pre-med committee, whereas everyone I know got a "highly recommended" or better).

So please don't label me as a "troll." I'm just looking for some honest advice. No harm intended.

Its hard to take you seriously when you ask something like "does increasing 4 points on my MCAT from awesome to phenomenal look bad?"

Sorry.

You have a 3.6 GPA. What did you expect?

This sounds sort of familiar as I posted a similar story in the MCAT forum...

Anyways, so you improved your high score in each section (as considered by some schools) from 36 to 41, your average score (as considered by some schools) from 36 to 37.5, your latest score (as considered by some schools) from 36 to 39, and your score at Columbia from 36 to 43(!) and you're wondering if this is a bad thing?

I think you need to find a doctor to prescribe you a nice glass of stfu.

lets just end it at this. Go do research on the situation rather than posting about it without any basis. If your smart enough to get a 39, your smart enough to figure this out

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I just keep terrible company for self-esteem purposes, as several of my good friends already have interviews from Johns Hopkins, Pitt, Northwestern, etc.

You gotta stop comparing yourself to friends/classmates. Be happy for them! If you're not used to this, med school/residency/fellowship/attending posts/etc. will be painful.

I'm starting to think that SDN is responsible for at least 2-3 suicides per application cycle

...and maybe a couple homicides.

Haha, thats awesome .... I mean .... funny!

Okay - if this is serious: I don't think you have anything to worry about with the retake. You improved...A LOT. I seriously doubt that your rejections have anything to do with your MCAT score, but rather other aspects of your application. Stop worrying, you cannot change the past, and I'm sure many more interviews will be rolling your way.

I have better labels than a troll....

Maybe you got rejected from those schools for other/random reasons.
I know vandy is SUPER strict about AP course credit. Did you make sure you met all their requirements?

GTFO

If this is real, I think there is a good chance the rejections are a result of questionable reasoning in your AMCAS and/or responses to supplemental questions as demonstrated by your crazy reasoning in this post.

3.6 GPA and a 39 MCAT? You'll never get in with those stats. Maybe you should try the Caribbean.

I honestly would consider retaking the exam. you claim to have been averaging in the 40's but only ended up with a 39. Try again and get that verbal score up or the original 13 will be thought of as a fluke.

I know a lot of people report a score big jump on the real test from their practice tests. I think if you've been consistently scoring 40-42 on practice exams, you should take it again and shoot for a 44 or 45.

:rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? Unless you live in a cave, you must know 39 or even 35s are not that common. You definitely need to retake and make at least a 60.

Only a 39? You need to retake.

A 3.6 at Gtown? In psych? I think that you're going to have trouble convincing your interviewers that you're fit to handle medical school. Even a 39 on the MCAT cannot make up for years of being just average. You might want to consider doing a re-applicant, post-bac program?!? sorry