freaking out over verbal!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isidella

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just how important is Verbal Reasoning of the MCAT for MD/PhD apps? I feel confident about the rest of the test and my application as a whole, but I know I bombed verbal. Say if I got a VR 7 (with 13s on the other two sections), do ya'll think some doors will close? Thanks for your input in advance.
The Newbie

Members don't see this ad.

First off,

Of the many people I have talked to who thought they "bombed verbal"--most ended up with >10 when the scores arrived. Unless you filled in 20 bubbles at the end, you really shouldn't try to "guess" at all what your verbal score will be. I felt very confident about my verbal after the august test, but was shelled out a 9 in the mail. I did well enough in the sciences to keep my cum at a 33--which is still low for MSTP applicants.

I would say that MSTP is probably the most lenient on verbal, considering that you are looking to do research in the sciences. This doesn't mean a 7 will look favorable on your app! The fact that the average MSTP'er is near a 36 says that they are probably doing well in verbal as well.

However, you probably are granted the most leeway in the sense that phenomenal research and lab experiences (w/solid letters of recc and an overall good app) can make up for a subpar verbal score. This is all just speculation from my viewpoint bc I still have to apply this cycle! However, what I have said is synthesized from random info I glean off this horribly addictive site!

isidella I thought the same thing you did after the MCAT and ended up with a 12 verbal. DON'T PANIC. If you're that worried, wait till you get your MCAT scores to apply. If you really were to get 7-13-13, I think that it would be a real handicap (not impossible), but you should attack that bridge when you come to it.

Again. DON'T STRESS! :)

Thanks for the advice. I am glad to know that many have a sinking feeling, just like me, when it comes to reflecting on VR. I do panic. . . this whole process is all about panic and fear, they weed out the chihuahuas that way. (I am allowed to say that, I have a little shaky dog.)