Freaking out. Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

damadazkikr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. This is my first post on this forum. I did pretty bad these past 2 semesters and I wanted to know if I still had a decent shot in getting into med school (preferably MD)

cGPA: 3.67
sGPA: 3.47

I just finished my second year and am done with all my science pre reqs for med school. From here on, I am just taking psychology classes to fulfill my concentration requirements. I am studying for the MCAT right now and will be taking it on September 2nd. What kind of score do you think I need with this type of GPA?

I also do not have much EC's:
~100 hours of volunteering at a hospital
~20 hours of shadowing a neurosurgeon
~1.5 years of working at a gastroenterologists office
2 semesters of research (not lab based research however. It was a psychology research based on surveys. I did no lab work)

I am really worried that I will not be accepted. I live in Michigan so I would like to stay in state (MSU, UM, WSU) but I am open to going out of state if I do not have much chance here. As of right now, I am second guessing even going into medicine...

Members don't see this ad.

If you can't raise your cGPA, with a 31+ you have a good chance of an acceptance somewhere, provided you can raise your BCPM GPA.

Try to shadow some other specialties, to include an office-based primary care doc. Add some regular nonmedical/noncampus community service. If leadership or teaching opportunities arise, take them. Your rsearch is fine. The clinical experience looks terrific.

With a 31+ I see no reason you wouldn't find sucess at one of the schools in Michigan, especially MSU and Wayne. I also assume that now that you're done with pre-reqs and taking your major classes you'll get better grades. Many students find upper levels in their major easier than entry classes.

You're doing fine on ECs. Simply keep up the same level of intensity and you'll be in good shape. Michigan is a decent state to be from as far as public school competitiveness goes.