Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Freaking out with possibly 2 C+'s this semester

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by htdt, 09.30.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. htdt

htdt 2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I know it's still early in the semester, but I just got my first 2 exams back. I got pretty much a C+ for both of those exams, since those 2 classes won't be curved. FYI, they are Anal Chem and Microbio, so not prereq. I've never got any C before, and I'm currently a junior having a 3.62 GPA. I got mostly B+'s for the prereqs. I know that 2 C+'s this semester will bring my GPA down by 0.1, so I'll end up with a 3.52 or something. This is absolutely not what I want, as I plan to earn A's this semester and thus raise my GPA closer to a 3.7 before I apply in 2015. Also, I planned to study for the MCAT this semester, but with my 14 credits I haven't been able to study at all.

Unfortunately, after 2 years in college, I still don't feel like I have developed good study habits and skills. I still feel like a clueless freshman when it comes to taking exams. I'm freaking out right now, what should I do to not get my first C's in those classes?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    Learn what you're doing wrong in terms of studying and fix it ASAP. If your school has a learning center, that would be a good place to start.

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile

4. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sounds kinky.

5. Strudel19

Strudel19 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    :laugh:

There is plenty of time left in the semester to bring those grades up. Don't worry.

htdt and shenellica like this.
  6. Afford

Afford

Medical Student (Accepted)
    It happened to me in a few classes. The best thing is that it gave me a strong motivation to do well on the next test.

chocolatethunder likes this.
  7. Heplayer92

Heplayer92 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Go to office hours and chat with your professors (if they are available). Definitely helped me out when I was in the same boat! I actually got C's on 2 of 5 exams in a similar chem class, rocked the last two, did well on the final, and ended up with an A-. It's too early to start worrying, but good in a sense that it will motivate you to work harder =D Good luck!

8. Rinya

Rinya 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Go to office hours with your teachers. I took analytical chemistry and got a C on the first test (on the cusp of a B) and went to almost every session of office hours plus I worked out every single problem in the back of the book and I looked up sample tests from other universities. My teacher was impressed and I learned the material very well. Keep going to your teacher for help. That's why you're paying him. And if you got B's for prerequisites, you don't want C's in classes like these. I know someone who took the nursing equivalent of microbio and got a C, then took the regular micro and also got a C. That was brought up harshly in his interview and he is now reapplying. (For a multitude Of reasons but nevertheless the C's contributed)

You can still end up with A's. Just keep going to the teacher for help. He'll see the effort you're putting in and that goes a long way.

9. cactus8910

cactus8910

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Go to office hours, find another student to study with (assuming you can be productive together), schedule your study time and hold yourself accountable. If you have access to old exams or other practice questions, do them. If you're getting them wrong and you can't figure it out on your own, ask questions.
    I started off getting Cs and Ds on organic chem exams and ended up with the highest grade in the class on my final. You can improve your grade, but it's going to take a lot of work.

htdt and shenellica like this.
  10. shenellica

shenellica 2+ Year Member

How have you been studying so far? I don't know what you are doing now but I can suggest what I do. I schedule time to study everyday so I must study during those times. Make condensed notes and start reviewing now for your final. Use anki whenever you have free time like standing in line or using public transportation or pooping. If you don't understand the material find another source to learn from like videos or another book. Go to office hours. Start communicating with your professor now.

11. OsteopathicHopeful

OsteopathicHopeful 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There's your problem buddy....your taking anal chem!! Thats the hardest of them all!

12. chillinillinkillin007

chillinillinkillin007

It's not that bad if your on the giving end but taking it is another story.

OsteopathicHopeful likes this.
  13. htdt

htdt 2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Thank you for all of your replies, I really appreciate it. After pretty much 3 days feeling super depressed, I've decided that I will go to office hours to talk to my professor tomorrow. Also, I actually understand Anal Chem very well (I'm a Chem major, got straight A's in Gen Chem), so I don't think in the long run Anal Chem would be my problem if I stop making stupid mistakes on the tests. On the other hand, Microbio is a real pain for me. I have serious problems with memorization, that's why I switched my major from Biology to Chemistry a year ago. So I guess the real question is how should I deal with memorizing random microbes' names for Microbio?

14. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hmm I'd always heard that Anal was what caused real pain, not the Micro. Maybe I misunderstood.

About the ads