freaking out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wwang20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am freaking out and super anxious at this point. I have only applied to 10 schools because I have to pay for everything application related out of my own pocket. I am a traditional applicant with a mediocore MCAT score (32O) and okay-ish GPA (3.81) and a Florida resident. I want to add more schools but because of my tough financial situation (long story), I only want to add schools that I actually have a chance of getting into (don't want to spend money on secondaries and such if I don't even have a chance..). So far I've applied to all the Florida schools and a few others out of state (Boston-already rejected, Tufts, Emory, NYU, Georgetown), but I feel that most of my out of state schools are rather unrealistic. What other schools should I add? What should I do to maximize my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I am freaking out and super anxious at this point. I have only applied to 10 schools because I have to pay for everything application related out of my own pocket. I am a traditional applicant with a mediocore MCAT score (32O) and okay-ish GPA (3.81) and a Florida resident. I want to add more schools but because of my tough financial situation (long story), I only want to add schools that I actually have a chance of getting into (don't want to spend money on secondaries and such if I don't even have a chance..). So far I've applied to all the Florida schools and a few others out of state (Boston-already rejected, Tufts, Emory, NYU, Georgetown), but I feel that most of my out of state schools are rather unrealistic. What other schools should I add? What should I do to maximize my chances?

K... first... BREATHE. You have a great MCAT and a great GPA.

Awesome, now apply deliberately, as in... make sure you would attend that school if you were accepted.

Add a few more safety schools to your list. You have a great shot with the Florida schools because of your scores. If your ECs and letters are up to par, you will be fine. :luck:

K... first... BREATHE. You have a great MCAT and a great GPA.

Awesome, now apply deliberately, as in... make sure you would attend that school if you were accepted.

Add a few more safety schools to your list. You have a great shot with the Florida schools because of your scores. If your ECs and letters are up to par, you will be fine. :luck:

Can only reiterate what CodeBlu said, your MCAT and GPA are very competitive. Have you done some medical volunteering & shadowing? If you have, you're in a fine position and don't worry about Boston, they've been rough on just about everyone.

Remember, stay positive! We don't have control over our GPA and MCATs but the least we can do is keep a positive outlook and attitude throughout this marathon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't have a stroke before you matriculate!

Disadvantaged, Fl resident, great stats, all you need to sugarcoat it a little is volunteering/shadowing. Those stats make you pretty competitive y'know.

What other schools should I add?
Since we don't know your ECs, it's hard to say if all these schools are appropriate, so check them out for "fit". They all have a decent OOS matriculation rate and are in your stats range:

MCW, SUNY Downstate, UMaryland, UConn, Loyola, Stony Brook,
UKentucky, Rush, Jefferson, Virginia Tech (newer), Temple, Albany,
Toledo, Wake, Creighton (no CC credit for prereqs), Nebraska, LSU-NO, NYMC, Vermont, Hofstra (new)
Wright, Drexel, Tulane, Arizona X 2,

Thank you for all your replies and words of encouragement :). I will definitely add more backups due to your suggestions. I have shadowed few times (not extensively though...only once or twice a semester), been volunteering at a cancer hospital for 3 semesters and spent a summer sitting by patients' bedsides reading books and watching TV (I don't even know if that counts as anything...). I hope everything will turn out alright in the end...*crosses fingers*