Free 150

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clement

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is medfriends calculator off for the free 150? It says 70% is a 180??

Seems like free 150 was more popular with step 1 test-takers. I didn't think it was all that easy, anyone? Please? Must. Stop. Freaking. Out.

Reply!

EDIT: I guess it's not 150 questions, but you get the point...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i dont know how it messures up with a %, but i had 2 questions that were exactly the same on the real test as the 150. i think doing them and knowing the answers is worth it.

i dont know how it messures up with a %, but i had 2 questions that were exactly the same on the real test as the 150. i think doing them and knowing the answers is worth it.

The problem is I DID do the free 150...Now I'm wondering how the percentiles match up to the medfriends calculator vs actual scores? According the calculator a 70% is a 180 on step 2.
NBME 4 was roughly 30 points higher for me last week. So which do I trust if I'm taking the test in a week or so?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have insight? I thought the free questions had a fair amount where it was more straight-forward than UW but others where the questions were loooonng and with way fewer clues than UW. Anyway, I'm still concerned that a 70% on those is a 180 per medfriends? I tend to trust the nbme's more but still...

Anyone else have insight? I thought the free questions had a fair amount where it was more straight-forward than UW but others where the questions were loooonng and with way fewer clues than UW. Anyway, I'm still concerned that a 70% on those is a 180 per medfriends? I tend to trust the nbme's more but still...

what is the free 150? is this a question set? where can one obtain this from?

Last edited:
looking back on some experiences... heres what i saw..

ppl scoring in the range of 80's were in the 99.

one person scored 73% and scored 97 (his uw avg. was 57%)

so medfriends doesnt seem to be accurate at all in this one.

if you put in 75% on it.. it gives you 197.. yikes.:eek:

For those who are wondering where these q's come from..

http://www.usmle.org/Orientation/2010/menu.html

http://www.medfriends.org/step2_estimator/index.htm

Lany,
Thanks so much for your post. Yea I looked through the Step 2 experiences thread but the thing is, a lot of people didn't say WHEN they took the free test...Since I took it a week before my exam, I got my panties in a tangle. Just to update everyone...Naturally I feaked out after I took the free 137 (and...some questions in that free test were harder than the nbme q's and longer...kinda scared me as far as question length).

anyway, the next day after I got 70% (equivalent of 180 per medfriends), I took NBME 2, which seemed a lot easier than nbme 4, but anyway, I got a 217 or a 224 (per medfriends)....assume nbme tests are more accurate than medfriends! i'm guessing/hoping the free usmle test score converter is definitely wrong within a certain range of percentiles....from what I hear nbme 2 is pretty good at predicting but it did seem a lot more straight forward than world. I'm about to finish my second round of world...The first time through I went by subject and got a 51% cumulative (while going through each rotation, except IM). The second time through I'm getting 65% random, timed, cumulative. Hopefully the jump is not just because I'm remembering a few questions from before, but regardless, remembering them is still good!

Last edited: