Technology Free clinic software

fantasty

15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
The one with the Wings
  1. Attending Physician
    Our student-run free clinic is getting to the point that they really need some patient database software. Their paper files are getting out of hand. I know there were some free programs out there specifically for free clinics. I did get some products that were for general clinic management, but they were not really helpful (heavy focus on billing, procedures, which are not relevant to this general "wellness" clinic). I couldn't much help with google.

Any suggestions?

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Jan 21, 2006
    1. Attending Physician
      What is it that you're trying to accomplish?

Unless there's a great deal of provider continuity in this free clinic (which would be unusual), implementing any kind of EMR or "paperless" medical record is going to be a tremendous challenge, free software or not. If the paper charts are "out of hand," that should be a tremendous red flag that the clinic has problems aren't going to be fixed by automation...they'll likely be magnified.

If I were you, I'd work on standardizing and streamlining the paper charts using flow sheets and templates for office visits. Include preventive care flowsheets, diabetes flowsheets, etc. Make sure that there's an organized "front sheet" with a current problem list, PMH, PSH, SH, FH, allergies, etc. If you really want some sort of automation, you could make a patient registry for chronic problems, such as diabetes, using practically any database or spreadsheet program. However, keeping something like this updated and accurate will take some pretty serious commitment on somebody's part, which (again) I've found lacking in a typical student-run free clinic where there's lots of turnover.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.