Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Free clinics in Dallas?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DianaUT06, Apr 21, 2007.

1. DianaUT06

DianaUT06 MS4

Medical Student
    Does anyone know of some free clinics in the DFW area that I could volunteer at this year? Or better yet, has anyone volunteered at one in the area and really felt like they got some good experience from it?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Richspiders07

Richspiders07 User - peruser

Medical Student
    Parkland hospital is a good volunteer hospital... if you like coral colored jumpers... buts it almost the equivalent of a free clinic

4. myKuduSlewaZulu

myKuduSlewaZulu Kiss my 6 glutes Ike

Other Health Professions Student
    I'll put a plug in for the one I volunteer at. It's associated with Mission Arlington (in Arlington, at just north of UTA) which is a large charitable organization. My premed advisor recommended it. It's faith based, but anyone can volunteer. You can do pretty much whatever you want, its mainly just volunteers there. There are two nurses who pretty much run the place (both are absolutely wonderful...one is a fiesty octagenarian). You'll also run into nursing students, MA students, and first/second year medical students from TCOM. There are a number of doctors that volunteer there, and they are really nice as well. One is an FP from Baylor and he gave me a lot of advice.

You can check patients in, do histories, temp, BP, blood sugar, urinalysis, pregnancy tests, assist/shadow doctors, work in the pharmacy, etc. Because its a free clinic people start lining up a couple hours before it opens, and you'll see some strange pathologies. Their open on Mon, Wed, and Fri from about 8 or 9am to 1 or 2 pm; and on Tues from 6pm to 9pm. Its very family-like and informal. You don't have to commit to a schedule or anything. Just come in and leave as you please.

All you have to do is call or show up and they'll put you to work right away. I liked it muuuuch better than volunteering at a hospital, because you just don't have all the liability issues. I got so bored at the hospital that I quit after a month.

Their phone # is 817-277-9597. Since I got a job recently I haven't been in as much, but I really enjoy my time there. Here's the map:

http://www.missionarlington.org/p/ma-map.pdf

5. Vvandenn

Vvandenn Member

Pre-Medical
    And on a similar note, does anyone know of any free clinics in Corpus Christi?

6. DianaUT06

DianaUT06 MS4

Medical Student
    Thanks so much, myKuduSlewaZulu, for the advice! That sounds like an awesome opportunity :D . When I move to DFW this summer I will definitely check it out.