FREE credit check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
you can receive a free credit report from each of the three nationwide consumer reporting companies through

www.annualcreditreport.com/
or by calling 18773228228.

I thought i would have to pay for a report, but then stumbled over this info in the UVA interview packet. Just wanted everyone to know they could do it for free

here we go with the financial mess medical school will cause....but isnt it worth it? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Oh dude, OP, I nearly reported you as spam!

Thanks for the info, but in the future, it may help to title your threads a bit differently :)

Thanks for the info, but in the future, it may help to title your threads a bit differently :)
Seconded.

Btw, OP, everyone can get a free credit report once a year. Type in "free credit report" and you'll see that hundreds of sites will do this for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
you can receive a free credit report from each of the three nationwide consumer reporting companies through

www.annualcreditreport.com/
or by calling 18773228228.

To clarify, the free credit report is available once annually at each agency. I thought it was a good idea to check them out, in rotation, to be sure they were accurate. I've checked one of them every four months. Some of them listed addresses where I'd never lived and "open" credit accounts that I'd closed years before. One had an open account I'd never applied for that belonged to one of my relatives. You can correct most such errors on-line. It is a good idea to be sure there are no inaccuracies that would prevent an open line of credit being given to you when you apply for school loans.

Maybe I'm waaaaaay off on this, but I thought that by requesting a credit report you actually damaged your credit slightly. Once again, I could be completely wrong, but if someone knows about this definitively it could help to allay some of my fears.

Maybe I'm waaaaaay off on this, but I thought that by requesting a credit report you actually damaged your credit slightly. Once again, I could be completely wrong, but if someone knows about this definitively it could help to allay some of my fears.

I have heard this to. If I remember correctly, you can check your credit score once without having it affected. I've also heard that opening and closing credit cards hurts your score to. Can anyone confirm?

I have heard this to. If I remember correctly, you can check your credit score once without having it affected. I've also heard that opening and closing credit cards hurts your score to. Can anyone confirm?

The credit checks that count are commercial credit checks (i.e., lenders), not personal ones.

The more lines of credit, the more liability, so your credit is affected as your number of cards goes up. But piling up debt and having collectors calling is a surer way of watching your score go poof.

Correct, checking your own score does not hurt you.

About free credit checks: many are them are scams. The report is free so long as you sign up for the $80 identity theft package. Annualcreditreport.com is the only entirely free service that I am aware of. However, getting your report does not give you a FICO score, the number that lenders use when they want to loan you money.

Finally, everyone should check their credit report once a year. You need to make sure that old credit card accounts are closed, in addition to checking for ID theft.

I've heard one of the ratios used in processing your credit checks is debt to credit ratio. So say you have $5000 limit on 4 credit cards. You do not use 2 of those credit cards and are thinking about cancelling. Identity theft risk aside, it is to your advantage to keep those accounts open because the debt of the 2 you keep are divided by the total credit limit.

Also, account length is a factor in your credit score.

Knowing that this is SDN, I'll put a source down:
http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/10/pf/credit_killers/index.htm?postversion=2006071211

is ther ea way to find out your credit score w/o paying? seems like most ask for $$.

Oh dude, OP, I nearly reported you as spam!

I will definately think a little more about thread title next time.......:thumbup:

is ther ea way to find out your credit score w/o paying? seems like most ask for $$.

I'm not aware of a single company that will give you a free score. The algorithms used to come up with the scores are proprietary information that corporations are closely guarding. If you want to petition the government to make credit scores free, see www.freemycreditscore.org/.