Free dental care as a student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalprodigy

Mr. Awesome
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I don't have dental insurance and can't afford dental care at the moment. I was wondering, do dental students have a way of somehow being treated by other upper level classmates for basic dental procedures like prophylaxis etc.??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

At temple, all prophies and operative procedures are free for students. I.e. filling.

Crowns/bridges/etc are 50% off their fee. If you have dental insurance they bill them first then write off the rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see...good to know. thanks for replies so far

We (WCU) get certain procedures from fellow students, but not extraction or surgery, although the campus offers free oral cancer screening to the local community so I'm pretty sure that would apply to students in need too.More info on that here.

At USC all work done by UG was free but you had to pay lab fees for crowns bridges etc. We could also go to grad endo for free but I think OS and perio you had to pay, we also get 50% off of ortho.

Hi, I don't have dental insurance and can't afford dental care at the moment. I was wondering, do dental students have a way of somehow being treated by other upper level classmates for basic dental procedures like prophylaxis etc.??Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

You will be hearing that a lot in ds and out in practice.

At San Antonio we get 50% off for ourselves and our significant other. Its nice, and a great deal because most of us don't have insurance either.

I got accepted in dental school, do you think I should whiten my teeth before my first semester? It may sound stupid lol but my teeth are not yellow and not shining white either...

edit: it has nothing to do with OP post but do all dentists eventually wear glasses? Because I dont wear glasses, my eyes are fine... But I think that looking at small places all day can hurt the eyes... Am I going to wear glasses or do many dentists not wear glasses at all?

Dental Prodigy,
You are coming to UMDNJ right? I haven't had a cleaning here, but I did get my upper wisdom teeth extracted by an OMFS resident for free and he did a great job. A classmate of mine got all 4 taken out for free. I know another student who is getting an implant for way cheaper than it would cost in the private sector.

I think the general rule of thumb is that you only get charged for the cost of materials, and even those seem to be reduced in fee for students.

I got accepted in dental school, do you think I should whiten my teeth before my first semester? It may sound stupid lol but my teeth are not yellow and not shining white either...

edit: it has nothing to do with OP post but do all dentists eventually wear glasses? Because I dont wear glasses, my eyes are fine... But I think that looking at small places all day can hurt the eyes... Am I going to wear glasses or do many dentists not wear glasses at all?
UP Im not going to start a thread for these questions lol!

Yes I'm coming to UMDNJ.

That's good to know!

UP Im not going to start a thread for these questions lol!

i wouldn't whiten. you'll prob end up making bleaching trays on each other anyway bf you start seeing pts. and you're prob like most other dental students ... ie: i had a 1st yr come be a pt of mine for bleach trays ... pre tx A1 .... to where? B1?? vita bleach shades? i had to go to grad prosth to get that guide haha. i mean, im sure you're teeth are fine so just wait it out.

and for the glasses... not all our faculty wear them. they all use loupes, but much of the work is checked with out them. you're fine.