SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Free Electives at other programs

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Hamster, May 28, 2001.

1. Hamster

Hamster Member 10+ Year Member

May 11, 2001
    I am curious as to how does one apply for/seek out completing free electives at a different program?
    I know (or better yet have heard ;) )it is beneficial to complete these free electives at the hospital you wish to seek a residency at in the future. This seems like a perilous method because what if you get there and decide the only way you return was if they rushed you into the E.R. by force :D Will your second-now-turned-first-choice residency penalize you that much for not doing any rotations there? Oh but I am off the subject now...
    So is there a true application process, or yet another word of mouth type of deal? Ha I bet there is more to it than visiting a website with a credit card on school's registration day ;)
    Apologies for asking so many questions :(
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Most schools have a formal application process for visiting electives.

If you have some programs in mind, it can be as simple as visiting their web site and looking for information: its usually under Student Affairs, Electives or 4th Year Curriculum. You usually complete a 1 page application (where, when and what), and have your school certify that you are a 4th year student in good standing, that you will/will not be getting credit for the elective, will/will not be paying tuition during the elective period and have/have not personal health and malpractice insurance in effect during the elective.

If you have more than 4 weeks of electives, it would behoove you to do them at a couple of programs you are interested in (if only to give you a broader view of what's out there and less time to screw up at 1 or the other! ;) ).

While some electives can be set up within departments, via connections etc. the majority simply follow an application period. If you want to do a visiting elective during prime time (ie, late summer/early fall), make sure you get the paperwork in and done early, it may be "first come first serve" for the elective.

Hope this helps.
  4. kris

kris Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Just FYI, at some websites I found the apps and requirements under things like "visiting students."
  5. Pikevillemedstudent

Pikevillemedstudent Bengals Fan 10+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2000