Free health clinics at your schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys/gals volunteer there? M2's at my school seemed unenthusiastic about their experiences for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

IMO it's all about where one is in training:

MS1: Bright eyed, bushy tailed newbies eager to get some clinical experience. Minimal workload - actually have time and energy to do that stuff.

MS2: Bigger workload, probably don't have enough time to do this regularly...but I did this last year so probably should stick to it until I can pass it down to the next years...**** - Step 1.

MS3: Hahahahaha...No.

MS4: Lol what am I doing here? *goes back to vacation*

But hey, in the end, it's all about whether you like it or not. Just keep in mind you might get other priorities later.

Reactions: 1 users
If your M2s were unenthusiastic, who cares?

Mainly just interested in everyone's thoughts about it on this board, which I enjoy reading. Your school's clinic sounds awesome :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
a lot of people including me were very involved in volunteering in the Free Clinic, we loved it, the shifts were highly sought after

it was low key, low stress, as you could sign up for whatever shift you wanted

it offered amazing first hand clinical experience, and there was lots of time for great teaching from dedicated residents and faculty, lots of time with patients honing skills

in hindsight, it was frankly better than most of my 3rd and 4th year rotations, and did a lot to prepare us for them

however, I imagine it varies greatly institution to institution

At my school only about 1% of people volunteer at the student run clinic but I would say that's their loss. I've been going since first year and I have been able to perform minor procedures (biopsies, foreign object removals, etc.) and become way more comfortable with real patients (not SPs) than my classmates did long before third year started. Plus at our clinic the students write scripts (that an attending then signs), draw labs, write h+ps, etc. all under the guidance of upper year students. You also have the experience of feeling like someone's PCP even if you don't want to do FM and that can be a big plus when step studying or whatever makes you feel like you lost sight of why you're in med school at all.

OP you ought to try it out for yourself and see how you like it. I'd say the benefits include meeting other med students, practicing your H&P skills, learning how to form a differential, and feeling accomplished for helping out those in your community. The downsides would be along the lines of a very unorganized clinic and an inability to do much for the patients (i.e. Not having a lot of free medicine on the formulary, not having wound care supplies, etc.). You'll have to go there to find out