Free Housing @ NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuzzylogic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some people said they lived in the library while taking some tough classes but this gives it a whole new meaning!

it just makes me think why the hell didn't he go to a state school. If he got into NYU he obviously could have gotten into his numerous state schools. I sympathize but at the same time he could have been smarter in his choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Went there for undergrad and from my experiences, I knew a couple of people who did that.

They didn't go to a state school because they received enough scholarship to cover NYU's tuition. NYU is also a big commuter school and most of the people who slept in the library are commuter students. It's too expensive to live in the city when you can take a 1-hour train to NYU. When it gets too late to go home, they opt to stay at Bobst library or at a friend's dorm.

darkcity998 said:
Went there for undergrad and from my experiences, I knew a couple of people who did that.

They didn't go to a state school because they received enough scholarship to cover NYU's tuition. NYU is also a big commuter school and most of the people who slept in the library are commuter students. It's too expensive to live in the city when you can take a 1-hour train to NYU. When it gets too late to go home, they opt to stay at Bobst library or at a friend's dorm.

I don't think you read the story entirely

What I was saying was that it's no big news when you actually see the library. Some students actually lived there in the basement. And from those students I've met, they had no choice, but to live there during the week and go back to their parents (NJ, CT, deep LI) or friends on free days.

I'm just bitter because NYU didn't give me a break when I had asked for it. I should have just lived in the basement and written about it.

exmike said:
interesting that he had no money for rent but had enough to register a domain name and pay for the hosting.

Well, $50/yr for a website is not the same as $700 and up for rent

missbonnie said:
Well, $50/yr for a website is not the same as $700 and up for rent

I know, but still. Priorities you know? Besides, hosting + registration is probably closer to 100 bucks for any decent service.

Jesus Christ...I wish I could've shook this guy and told him, "It's not worth it!!!" before he signed the Statement of Intent to Register with NYU (your final decision as to which college you'll attend after high school). If he would have just gone to his local state school, he could have had more than enough money to cover living expenses and tuition/books. Some things are just NOT worth your health, safety, sanity...etc...in this case, attending a top undergraduate school like NYU isn't worth it if you have to resort to living in the basement of a campus library for 8 months. I feel REALLY bad for this guy...at the same time...I agree with the above poster...you really have to wonder why he didn't just enroll in a state university where he could be getting a decent education while also having enough money for living expenses.

One could make the argument, "Well, it's NYU and he values his education enough to sacrifice his quality of life to attend a top ugrad school." My rebuttal for that is that attending a top ugrad school just isn't worth it if you're putting your health, safety, or dignity in jeopardy. And I think he jeopardized all of the aformentioned intangibles (healthy, safety, and dignity) by living in a library basement for 8 months....I mean..come on...you can't really take care of basic hygiene in a library bathroom. In addition, sleeping in a chair reallly can't be too comfortable or good for your back...and there's no way in hell he could've plopped down a bed in the middle of a library.

I really wish the best for this guy and I hope the story gives us some perspective on how lucky some of us are to not have the same financial burdens as this young man.

guy's a total *******. No other way to put it.

BerkeleyPremed said:
One could make the argument, "Well, it's NYU and he values his education enough to sacrifice his quality of life to attend a top ugrad school." My rebuttal for that is that attending a top ugrad school just isn't worth it if you're putting your health, safety, or dignity in jeopardy. And I think he jeopardized all of the aformentioned intangibles (healthy, safety, and dignity) by living in a library basement for 8 months....I mean..come on...you can't really take care of basic hygiene in a library bathroom. In addition, sleeping in a chair reallly can't be too comfortable or good for your back...and there's no way in hell he could've plopped down a bed in the middle of a library.

Aren't you being a little hard on him? I don't know if I would call sleeping in a library "putting your health, safety, or dignity in jeopardy." I mean, it's not like he's sleeping in the streets of the Bronx. He did it voluntairly for it's "journalistic" value. Some people prefer sleeping on hard surfaces. With the press he's creating for himself, it seems like he's got a good career ahead of him.