MPH Free In-State VS Expensive Prestige?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jj00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been a long-time lurker and really appreciate reading your responses to posts and questions. Very supportive community here! I am at a crossroads and would love to hear your responses.

I am currently working a full-time job at a public state university. The tuition remission will finance most, if not all, of my MPH studies once the program starts. I will have the opportunity to take courses part-time and graduate nearly debt-free.

I have also been admitted to Johns Hopkins for their MSPH full-time program. While some scholarships and grants are available, I believe it will be a challenge to cover all of my tuition expenses.

If you were in my shoes, what aspects would you consider? I have run through flexibility of both programs, tuition cost, living expenses, research opportunities, post-graduation job opportunities, networking opportunities, fit of program to my interests, professors/courses.

Overall, both programs are amazing and I am ecstatic. Thank you to any SDN users that have offered advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there jj!

The biggest deciding factor for me will be debt, definitely. I graduated with a lot of student loans from undergrad (had a scholarship, but wasn't the most fiscally-sound 18 y/o out there), so that's been something that's hanging over my head. Overall though, I'm personally definitely leaning towards Hopkins, because I believe that if you can network well, it will pay off in the end, depending on what your end-goal is. Just something to consider.

Is the program at the state university accredited? I definitely think you are in a really great position and I can't wait to see what you decide.

Hi there jj!

The biggest deciding factor for me will be debt, definitely. I graduated with a lot of student loans from undergrad (had a scholarship, but wasn't the most fiscally-sound 18 y/o out there), so that's been something that's hanging over my head. Overall though, I'm personally definitely leaning towards Hopkins, because I believe that if you can network well, it will pay off in the end, depending on what your end-goal is. Just something to consider.

Is the program at the state university accredited? I definitely think you are in a really great position and I can't wait to see what you decide.

Thank you! Yes the state university is accredited. I haven't heard of people from public universities having a hard time finding jobs with their MPHs, but I am cognizant of the weight that a prestigious name carries.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard from all of my schools yet, but I expect to be in a similar situation. Here's some things I'm considering:
  • I'm going for the community/behavioral health track, and frankly, I don't expect to be making a whole lot of money after graduating with my MPH. From what I can tell, starting salaries are in the 50-60k range. That's not a super easy salary to be re-paying heaps of loans on. If you're going for epidemiology or biostat, I think this is less of a concern.
  • For me, finances includes the price of moving, renting a 2+ bedroom apartment, and general cost of living (medical, groceries, etc) that can fluctuate based on location. How affordable is the city your state school is in? Where are you in life? Do you have financial support from your family or other sources? Do you have kids, or will you in the next couple years? Are you looking to buy a house, a car? Get married? Obviously you don't actually need to tell me any of these things; they're just what I'll be thinking about when I choose my program.
  • I graduated with a decent GPA from a prestigious undergrad institution and had a hell of a time finding employment after graduation. Name alone isn't really that powerful; the opportunities you take to build connections to people in higher places while you are in school are. At a more rigorous institution, will you be able to take time away from your academics to network? Will you be standing out from your peers for internship, research, and job placement opportunities?
I don't know what I'll choose yet. Like you, I'm hoping for scholarship $$$ from my more prestigious option. Good luck!

I think a big factor to consider is the value of completing your degree faster to earn a higher salary earlier. It doesn't sound like much, but earning that higher salary 1 or 2 years earlier than you would by going part time can play a huge difference in the long run when you consider retirement savings or personal investments, even if it does come with a higher price-tag. This of course depends on how much you expect to increase your salary with your degree. I know first hand the loans seem intimidating but don't let them deter you from the long term economic benefits of earning your degree faster.

this is also assuming Hopkins will allow you to complete your degree in shorter time than attending the other program part time.

I haven't heard from all of my schools yet, but I expect to be in a similar situation. Here's some things I'm considering:
  • I'm going for the community/behavioral health track, and frankly, I don't expect to be making a whole lot of money after graduating with my MPH. From what I can tell, starting salaries are in the 50-60k range. That's not a super easy salary to be re-paying heaps of loans on. If you're going for epidemiology or biostat, I think this is less of a concern.
  • For me, finances includes the price of moving, renting a 2+ bedroom apartment, and general cost of living (medical, groceries, etc) that can fluctuate based on location. How affordable is the city your state school is in? Where are you in life? Do you have financial support from your family or other sources? Do you have kids, or will you in the next couple years? Are you looking to buy a house, a car? Get married? Obviously you don't actually need to tell me any of these things; they're just what I'll be thinking about when I choose my program.
  • I graduated with a decent GPA from a prestigious undergrad institution and had a hell of a time finding employment after graduation. Name alone isn't really that powerful; the opportunities you take to build connections to people in higher places while you are in school are. At a more rigorous institution, will you be able to take time away from your academics to network? Will you be standing out from your peers for internship, research, and job placement opportunities?
I don't know what I'll choose yet. Like you, I'm hoping for scholarship $$$ from my more prestigious option. Good luck!

These are all really great points! I also am expecting to have a salary in that range upon graduation, which plays a lot into how much I am willing to take out in loans. I'll also be considering your last point. My current position gives me access to leaders in the healthcare world and I've done well in my field so far to access them. I hope to hear which decision you end up making. Which schools are your top contenders at the moment?

I think a big factor to consider is the value of completing your degree faster to earn a higher salary earlier. It doesn't sound like much, but earning that higher salary 1 or 2 years earlier than you would by going part time can play a huge difference in the long run when you consider retirement savings or personal investments, even if it does come with a higher price-tag. This of course depends on how much you expect to increase your salary with your degree. I know first hand the loans seem intimidating but don't let them deter you from the long term economic benefits of earning your degree faster.

this is also assuming Hopkins will allow you to complete your degree in shorter time than attending the other program part time.

Hi! That's a great point as well. Fortunately, both programs will take the same amount of time to complete (the other program accommodates part-time work and can be completed in 2 years). I think something that I have yet to figure out is salary projections because there is so much variability in public health. It seems hard work and prestige are only part of the equation for long-term success, though I don't have exact figures for how each factor contributes to salary in this field.

These are all really great points! I also am expecting to have a salary in that range upon graduation, which plays a lot into how much I am willing to take out in loans. I'll also be considering your last point. My current position gives me access to leaders in the healthcare world and I've done well in my field so far to access them. I hope to hear which decision you end up making. Which schools are your top contenders at the moment?

Things are really up in the air for me right now, but I thiiiink I will end up choosing between Buffalo (best financial pick, near family), Minnesota (top 10 school, not ungodly expensive), and Brown (maybe the best program fit for me). But really, if any of the other schools I applied to give scholarships/other $$$, they'll jump to the front of the line. I didn't apply anywhere I don't think I could be really happy. Of course, I have to actually get into these schools before I decide, and I won't hear back from them all until March.

DEFINITELY take the full ride! I was in the same position as you last year and I've never been more grateful to not be in debt; even professors @ the more prestigious option told me to take the scholarship. PH is not a very high-paying field and you never know what the future might bring (more grad school, more low-paying field work, hell you might even decide you want to drop everything and try for med school like a lot of people I've met), and the quality in education is I would guess not very different between schools.

Of course, the total burden of debt matters. If JHU is going to cost, say, 20-30k after scholarships and savings I might consider it, but not if the program is going to run you 50k+ in the red.

Reactions: 1 user
Things are really up in the air for me right now, but I thiiiink I will end up choosing between Buffalo (best financial pick, near family), Minnesota (top 10 school, not ungodly expensive), and Brown (maybe the best program fit for me). But really, if any of the other schools I applied to give scholarships/other $$$, they'll jump to the front of the line. I didn't apply anywhere I don't think I could be really happy. Of course, I have to actually get into these schools before I decide, and I won't hear back from them all until March.

Congratulations on your acceptances so far! I hope to hear more about your decisions. It appears you are indeed making some similar decisions about your upcoming future. Best of luck to you. :)

DEFINITELY take the full ride! I was in the same position as you last year and I've never been more grateful to not be in debt; even professors @ the more prestigious option told me to take the scholarship. PH is not a very high-paying field and you never know what the future might bring (more grad school, more low-paying field work, hell you might even decide you want to drop everything and try for med school like a lot of people I've met), and the quality in education is I would guess not very different between schools.

Of course, the total burden of debt matters. If JHU is going to cost, say, 20-30k after scholarships and savings I might consider it, but not if the program is going to run you 50k+ in the red.

Thank you for your response! I'll be PMing you about your decision :) Sounds like it was the right one for you!

Hi jj,

Just adding to what the others have said, save money and take every opportunity given by your state school! I spent the last year working at HHS & CDC and granted several people there went for the prestige, however just as many employees went to lesser known state schools and even places like Walden, Grand Canyon etc. At the end of the day, its about the skills you gain!

I applied to several top tiers myself, but I'm most likely going to USF for the in-state tuition. As someone with little debt from undergrad, an additional 15k sounds much better than 60k+.

Take a look at some of the HHS partner schools. Some are household names and others not so much. Plenty of people who make the GS-13/14 ($100K+) federal salaries have attended these schools, you'll be just fine. http://hhsu.learning.hhs.gov/hhsuonline/hhsu-openhouse-edpartners-university.asp