Free Introduction to Dentistry Course (Online)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I found something pretty cool that I'd like to share with you.

Faculty from UPenn Dental are teaching a free online Intro to Dental Medicine course on Coursera. The course runs from June 15-July 31. The time commitment is ~ 1-2 hrs/week for 7 weeks. Syllabus copied and pasted below. If you're interested, head on over to https://www.coursera.org/course/dentmedpenn and sign up!

Syllabus

WEEK ONE: Introduction to dental medicine including oral health related to general health, sources of infection, modern technology in dentistry and public health impact.

WEEK TWO: Basic dental anatomy including embryology of the oral cavity, oral functions, basic tooth structure and clinical implications of disease.

WEEK THREE: Comprehensive evaluation of the patient including medical history, with live demonstrations with patients.

WEEK FOUR: Dental and periodontal disease - their causes and contributing factors.

WEEK FIVE: Oral and mucosal disease focusing on anomalies, ulcers, cancer and other diseases.

WEEK SIX: Oral and facial pain from common conditions to rare ones including an exploration of psychological aspects of oral and facial pain.

WEEK SEVEN: Selected cases in dental medicine ranging from oral surgery to prosthetic reconstruction.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 27 users
Thanks for the find!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

Faculty from UPenn Dental are teaching a free online Intro to Dental Medicine course on Coursera. The course runs from June 15-July 31. The time commitment is ~ 1-2 hrs/week for 7 weeks. Syllabus copied and pasted below. If you're interested, head on over to https://www.coursera.org/course/dentmedpenn and sign up!

Syllabus

WEEK ONE: Introduction to dental medicine including oral health related to general health, sources of infection, modern technology in dentistry and public health impact.

WEEK TWO: Basic dental anatomy including embryology of the oral cavity, oral functions, basic tooth structure and clinical implications of disease.

WEEK THREE: Comprehensive evaluation of the patient including medical history, with live demonstrations with patients.

WEEK FOUR: Dental and periodontal disease - their causes and contributing factors.

WEEK FIVE: Oral and mucosal disease focusing on anomalies, ulcers, cancer and other diseases.

WEEK SIX: Oral and facial pain from common conditions to rare ones including an exploration of psychological aspects of oral and facial pain.

WEEK SEVEN: Selected cases in dental medicine ranging from oral surgery to prosthetic reconstruction.
Thanks for sharing. Do you know if there is any way to get credit for this course or a way to list it on our application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Syllabus

I didn't go to the site.....

But very nice of you to share.....

Seems to be good stuff......

Possibly Perfect for those whom may have little knowledge of the field....

Thanks for the find!

No problem- thank you for appreciating it :)

Thanks for sharing. Do you know if there is any way to get credit for this course or a way to list it on our application?

No problem- I'm sure you could list it under "Academic Enrichment" on AADSAS and describe that it was a free online seven-week UPenn-instructed course hosted on Coursera. But if you really want a certificate and stuff, you can join the Signature Track (same page as course description). I was considering it but it costs like $50. In exchange, you get a certificate signed by UPenn Dental faculty with a UPenn Dental header. It's cool.

However, I'm doing it for free and I'll probably list it/what I learned from the course.

I didn't go to the site.....

But very nice of you to share.....

Seems to be good stuff......

Possibly Perfect for those whom may have little knowledge of the field....

Haha thank you my favorite shark @tooth knockn :)

Reactions: 1 users

I found out about this awhile back. I'm using it to try and practice different methods of note taking and to try different methods for memorization.

I found out about this awhile back. I'm using it to try and practice different methods of note taking and to try different memorization methods.

That's a good way to get a lot out of the course. Any particular note-taking styles you're going for? laptop-based or handwritten?

That's a good way to get a lot out of the course. Any particular note-taking styles you're going for? laptop-based or handwritten?

I'm trying both to see which one works best for me. 7 trials to see which one suits me best.

I'm trying both to see which one works best for me. 7 trials to see which one suits me best.

Good luck!

I usually go with laptop for these kinds of online courses because I can type faster than I can write, and if there are diagrams I can just screenshot them and insert directly into notes. Saves me a lot of time and my finger a lot of pain.

Does anyone know if there's a deadline to sign up? Or a limit on how many can sign up?

Hey guys,

Syllabus

This is super helpful! Thanks so much! :D

This looks great! I enrolled just to brush up on my study habits=D. I also have all of July off from work, so this aligns perfectly.

Thanked!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there's a deadline to sign up? Or a limit on how many can sign up?

I believe you can sign up until the day before the course begins. I've taken other courses on Coursera and honestly I don't think there is a limit to the number of students. The computer science course I took had over 35k students...

This is super helpful! Thanks so much! :D

No problem! Hope you enjoy it/it is useful!

This looks great! I enrolled just to brush up on my study habits=D. I also have all of July off from work, so this aligns perfectly.

Thanked!

You're welcome! Yeah what I love is that this is a great enrichment class/very convenient/excellent chance to, like you said, brush up on study habits.

Have fun!

Probably hard to answer since no one has taken the course, but do you think the information in this course would be beneficial, maybe an extra bit of material for preparing for the DAT?

Also, I'm assuming since it's not for credit it a transcript won't be needed when I apply...and we won't have to take tests or do homework???

Probably hard to answer since no one has taken the course, but do you think the information in this course would be beneficial, maybe an extra bit of material for preparing for the DAT?

I don't think it would help for the DAT much since this course focuses on dental anatomy and conditions, but I do believe it will help you tremendously when you go for an interview and you explain dental conditions/what you like about dentistry: it gives you more material to talk about, and it shows initiative.

Also, I'm assuming since it's not for credit it a transcript won't be needed when I apply...and we won't have to take tests or do homework???

No transcript needed. Just list it as an academic enrichment activity on AADSAS. Not sure on tests/hw...but again, this is a very chill course and I'm sure it's not punitive if you don't do any of the assignments.

I believe you can sign up until the day before the course begins. I've taken other courses on Coursera and honestly I don't think there is a limit to the number of students. The computer science course I took had over 35k students...

Awesome thank you!

Thank you for sharing!! I have a question. Is the certificate worth it for the application or should I take it free and just list it?

@Incis0r Do you think this would be good for those of us starting d-school this fall?

Thank you for sharing!! I have a question. Is the certificate worth it for the application or should I take it free and just list it?

My pleasure! I'd take it for free and just list it. As long as you get something valuable out of the course and can articulate it, I think you'd be in a shape similar to someone who spent $50, put the same effort in, and got a certificate. I think certificates are more valuable for courses like Computer Science, etc. which help people with jobs. I see the main advantage of this course in the education/material- it's a lot of good enrichment...an added perk is that it may look favorable on an application.

@Incis0r Do you think this would be good for those of us starting d-school this fall?

Absolutely! I think the exposure is great, and at the very minimum you'll get access to some amazing faculty who ENJOY teaching dentistry...that's why they came together and are offering this course online. You'll get to build some good contacts with them. Who knows, you may also meet someone who is going to NYU and connect with them before the start of school itself!

And if the course is not meeting your expectations, there is no obligation to continue- you'll most likely only be spending 1-2 hrs/week on it anyways, so it's not like you'll have wasted precious time.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Syllabus

DO you by any chance have any notes? or saved vids you can share?

Hi there @nurkan ,

I do not think I can share videos since they are UPenn property. However, you can still access the course. Open an account with Coursera, "enroll" in the course, and you can view the videos etc. at your own leisure.

Medical students are like crabs in a bucket, trying to withhold information and hope each other fail whereas dental students are a community and team. Thanks @Incis0r !

Reactions: 3 users
awhh i cant register anymore

Medical students are like crabs in a bucket, trying to withhold information and hope each other fail whereas dental students are a community and team. Thanks @Incis0r !

My pleasure :)

awhh i cant register anymore

I'd recommend contacting the instructors in that case and asking them to allow students to enroll to do the course on their own. Their information is on the course page.

Last edited:
My pleasure :)

I'd recommend contacting the instructors in that case and asking them to allow students to enroll to do the course on their own. Their information is on the course page.

I prefer...

I'm in this right now, but was wondering how you gus put it on your app, specifically the name of the program.

Just signed up for the session that starts June 27th! Can anyone who took it last year comment on how much time per week it required?

I'm in this right now, but was wondering how you gus put it on your app, specifically the name of the program.
I wouldn't list a free online course like this on your application. It's more for your own knowledge.

It's like 45 minutes a week if that.
It's $50 to get a certificate. And on the site it says this: "Pass all graded assignments to complete the course." So is it graded or not lol?

It's $50 to get a certificate. And on the site it says this: "Pass all graded assignments to complete the course." So is it graded or not lol?
Waste of $50.00 imo. Just take it for your own benefit.

You do NOT need to wait until June 27 to start the course if you just want to see the material/explore. The quizzes open on June 27, but the videos are available right now.

Last edited:
I hope people don't use this as a application booster of some sort. Definitely good to learn more about the field though.

I used Coursera a while back. It's okay, but what you learn depends on what you put in. If you really want to learn more about the field, there is no harm in completing this class. Don't expect it to boost your application alone

@Incis0r Thanks for the heads up! :thumbup:
Just signed up!

I put this on my app lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks for posting this :)

No transcript needed. Just list it as an academic enrichment activity on AADSAS. Not sure on tests/hw...but again, this is a very chill course and I'm sure it's not punitive if you don't do any of the assignments.
I'll probably be submitting my application earlier then June 15th. Since this online class will start on June 15th, aren't we not allowed to list anything on the application that starts in the future? Or do you recommend I wait till June 15 to submit my application?

I'll probably be submitting my application earlier then June 15th. Since this online class will start on June 15th, aren't we not allowed to list anything on the application that starts in the future? Or do you recommend I wait till June 15 to submit my application?
I really wouldn't list a free online course on your application. You wouldn't list watching YouTube videos.

I really wouldn't list a free online course on your application. You wouldn't list watching YouTube videos.
Why not? There is a lot of manual dexterity involved in clicking the "Next Video" option over and over again.

you don't have to wait until then to begin, i signed up and watched a bunch of the videos last night.
its also not really a "class", more like an informational video series about dentistry.
as to whether i would list it on my application... i don't know. i think if you paid the fee and got the certificate then maybe yes under academic enrichment? will it make or break your application? no. the video even states the course is geared towards non-dental health professionals so i would say just watch them for your own personal interest.

you don't have to wait until then to begin, i signed up and watched a bunch of the videos last night.
its also not really a "class", more like an informational video series about dentistry.
as to whether i would list it on my application... i don't know. i think if you paid the fee and got the certificate then maybe yes under academic enrichment? will it make or break your application? no. the video even states the course is geared towards non-dental health professionals so i would say just watch them for your own personal interest.

gotcha. thank you!

Hi everyone, the new session went live today. I'm taking the course again! Anyone else taking it with me?

Hi everyone, the new session went live today. I'm taking the course again! Anyone else taking it with me?
Here, not sure if I have time for assignments. I will just watch the videos when I need a break from my busy summer schedule

Here, not sure if I have time for assignments. I will just watch the videos when I need a break from my busy summer schedule

Just completed Week 1's videos/assignment. Very interesting material!