Free Online Pathology Course (based on Robbins)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDrToBe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I got this info from a friend about a free online Path course. I don't know much about it but the lecturer will basically go through every chapter of Robbins. If you go to the website, they have these great power-points for each chapter of Robbins; these are the slides the lecturer will use. I registered for the course, so we'll see how it goes!

Pathologist and professor John Minarcik, MD (www.medicalschoolpathology.com) is offering a FREE real-time online course in medical school pathology from September to May, academic year 2010-2011, to any medical student who wants to excel in pathology and dominate USMLE Step 1. The course, taught in English, will be held every Tuesday and Thursday from 10am to noon, Eastern.

This free course features:

1) Live, interactive video lectures. (You can ask questions!)
2) Microscopy sessions, during which we will view Dr. Minarcik's microscope in a one-on-one format.
3) 500 independent study work exercises that you will have the entire year to complete, individually or in groups.

Visit https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/760885712 for more details and to register.

Join us on the first day of class, September 7th at 10am eastern time.

See you there!

Issues or questions? - Contact me at [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I got this info from a friend about a free online Path course. I don't know much about it but the lecturer will basically go through every chapter of Robbins. If you go to the website, they have these great power-points for each chapter of Robbins; these are the slides the lecturer will use. I registered for the course, so we'll see how it goes!

Pathologist and professor John Minarcik, MD (www.medicalschoolpathology.com) is offering a FREE real-time online course in medical school pathology from September to May, academic year 2010-2011, to any medical student who wants to excel in pathology and dominate USMLE Step 1. The course, taught in English, will be held every Tuesday and Thursday from 10am to noon, Eastern.

2) Microscopy sessions, during which we will view Dr. Minarcik's microscope in a one-on-one format.
3) 500 independent study work exercises that you will have the entire year to complete, individually or in groups.

Visit https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/760885712 for more details and to register.

See you there!

Yeah, I joined the other week. I know his histology lectures from youtube, he is an excellent teacher.
see you in class, tomorrow first lesson!

Wow, I'm excited to find out what this is about. I just read this post about 12 minutes before the first class. Hehe. Let's see what this is all about. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
interesting Rollo, but like pianolo I will wait with my judgement.
however in his introductory lecture he mentioned he had legal problems which was one of the reasons he went into teaching.
he seems like a genuine guy so far.

me: off to get a beer for the second part of the lecture.

interesting Rollo, but like pianolo I will wait with my judgement.
however in his introductory lecture he mentioned he had legal problems which was one of the reasons he went into teaching.
he seems like a genuine guy so far.

me: off to get a beer for the second part of the lecture.

Haha, I'm hoping you're not in the 9-11AM time zone! ;) Beer at 10AM??? :D

Yeah I don't know what to think yet. I'm just glad he didn't call on me!

There are elements of the course that seem really well-prepared, but the beginning was a little slow - it would have been helpful if Dr. M had told us up front he was going to spend an hour with introductions.

Haha, I'm hoping you're not in the 9-11AM time zone! ;) Beer at 10AM??? :D

Yeah I don't know what to think yet. I'm just glad he didn't call on me!

There are elements of the course that seem really well-prepared, but the beginning was a little slow - it would have been helpful if Dr. M had told us up front he was going to spend an hour with introductions.

hahaha, dont worry UK after 4PM now :p

to be fair, he mentioned it in the email he send us.

hahaha, dont worry UK after 4PM now :p

to be fair, he mentioned it in the email he send us.

ah, I gave him my "mostly unused" e-mail address cause I didn't want to be spammed. So I hadn't checked my e-mail. You know?

But that's good. I feel better about it now.

I'm glad I'm not the only person on SDN listening in. :)

hes an awesome teacher and you can learn a lot if your schools pathology is not great

eeks, I missed this morning's session. Does anyone know where the lecture is posted?? :(

Thanks...

Hi everyone,

See you there!

yes I know John and as a pathology professor I would recommend his course as a Board review....it is tough to say review it while taking your path course when it is running a good 4-5 weeks behind most continental US path courses and is out of synch....except for those students who may need to re-mediate a specific system and want a review from a different viewpoint

I loved his shotgun histology courses and as I'm currently taking pathology I am really disappointed in these pathology lectures. They seem to be fairly disjointed and not nearly as succinct and incisive as the old shotgun histology or even the few histo-path videos I've seen. Which, by the way, are bar none the best lectures I've ever seen for a topic I had a lot of trouble with until I found his videos.

I would consider his first new entire lecture zero yield and the first half of the second wasn't that great either. He has his moments where he really shines but the current one I'm listening to, the third, has some serious microphone / lag issues.

I loaded up the old shotgun histology videos to see if I was crazy and he's a lot, lot better in those. I think his newer videos would greatly benefit from some editing and sound quality magic.

His website seems to be having trouble as well as I can't seem to get any videos to fully download, they crap out around 10%.

I loved his shotgun histology courses and as I'm currently taking pathology I am really disappointed in these pathology lectures. They seem to be fairly disjointed and not nearly as succinct and incisive as the old shotgun histology or even the few histo-path videos I've seen. Which, by the way, are bar none the best lectures I've ever seen for a topic I had a lot of trouble with until I found his videos.

I would consider his first new entire lecture zero yield and the first half of the second wasn't that great either. He has his moments where he really shines but the current one I'm listening to, the third, has some serious microphone / lag issues.

I loaded up the old shotgun histology videos to see if I was crazy and he's a lot, lot better in those. I think his newer videos would greatly benefit from some editing and sound quality magic.

His website seems to be having trouble as well as I can't seem to get any videos to fully download, they crap out around 10%.

I do not disagree with your sentiment as I have seen those histo clips as well.
But he will get a lot better, Ive seen 1 or 2 systemic pathology lectures on his website, kidney for example, it is very good! He also speeds up a little in his later videos.
And taking into account that he was involved in writing for the boards and knows how path people tick, I do think his course is valuable, Im taking it instead of my path course anyway.
I would say, just be a little more patient or join systemic pathology before judging him. :thumbup: