This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Finding a waived liability free or low cost reproductive bull surgery, as a training opportunity?

• internship looking for animal that needs surgery.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pre-vertranary intern looking for surgical experiance.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

M ranch

Reaction score
I am an Owner and operator of M ranch INC located in the Sandhill’s of Nebraska. I joined this forum to get information about veterinary medicine and I have a Cattle/bull reproduction question and possible training opportunity.

We have a new bull he is a yearling angus bull and he was injured during natural service breeding swelling and bleeding on the end of his penis just after the first 30 days of breeding he has a preputial prolapse as diagnosed by a local veterinarian. The veterinarian recommended a circumcision to repair the bull and quoted us roughly $1,400 for the surgery. The bull is young and with his size he wouldn't be worth much as a slaughter bull and we have a lower monetary investment on him so it would be nice to possibly repair him if the price was write. He is not a certified or registered animal but a young good quality bull that would be nice to keep in service. For this reason I feel he would be a good candidate for a surgery training center or a pre-veterinary surgical intern to gain experience. Without the surgery he will most likely be a slaughter bull as the surgery is half the value of the animal.
I did some research and from what I read a “preputial prolapse” is primarily repaired by two surgeries a circumcision or a posthioplasty. In studies the circumcision was 70% effective in returning the bull to natural breeding service and the posthioplasty was 90% effective in returning the bull to natural breeding service. I have posed the question to my local extension agent they agree the information I have is pretty much accurate for the cost on the effectiveness. They suggested if I wanted a second opinion to try to contact other veterinary teaching hospitals.

I am looking for any options of a waived liability free or low cost surgery. If anyone has information or would be interested in this as a way to gain surgical experience. Please reply to the post.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.