PhD/PsyD Free personality measurements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psydstudent2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to use the MCMI for my dissertation study until my committee mentioned how costly it would be. Instead of spending months trying to secure funding, we are now looking for an alternative option. What personality measurements do not cost anything to administer? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

This would probably depend on your population and research question. Also, how did you apply for internship if your dissertation wasn't approved?

It is approved. The population is non-clinical and we are using the personality measure to help explore reliability for a measurement I created.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is approved. The population is non-clinical and we are using the personality measure to help explore reliability for a measurement I created.

Well, good thing you're not using the MCMI then, it's meant for a clinical population. What kind of reliability are you exploring with the personality measure?

Reactions: 1 user
The PID-5 is an option.

The mcmi uses base rates of stuff in clinical samples. It makes zero sense to use this in this manner.

Use the mmpi, hand score that bastard

The mcmi uses base rates of stuff in clinical samples. It makes zero sense to use this in this manner.

Use the mmpi, hand score that bastard

Painstakingly overlaying those few dozen overhead projector sheet things over the answer sheet? Ah, the good ole days. It's good to just have an excel spreadsheet which will do that for me these days.

Reactions: 1 users
Painstakingly overlaying those few dozen overhead projector sheet things over the answer sheet? Ah, the good ole days. It's good to just have an excel spreadsheet which will do that for me these days.

The hush hush C prompt scoring program based down.

A psych I worked for made copies of instruments, but my committee said I need to pay for them or get funding. Which is the ethical route of course which leads to my next question, I could try to secure funding but that could take a while and I haven’t had much success finding any applications for funding. The APA dissertation award is currently closed. Any links to funding opportunities?

Members don't see this ad :)
It costs a lot to use the MMPI too unfortunately

1) Hand scoring is generally free. The bubble sheet protocols are not expensive. It's like $50 for 50.

2) Protip: If you contact some of the publishers and explain who you are and what you want to do, SOME will give you free admins/protocols.

You’re amazing. Thank you so much! I’m assuming these don’t cost to use?

Nope. The IPIP movement is open source alternatives for personality measurement, championed by Goldberg. It's a huge boon for ease of research and clinical use.

Goldberg, L. R., Johnson, J. A., Eber, H. W., Hogan, R., Ashton, M. C., Cloninger, C. R., & Gough, H. C. (2006). The International Personality Item Pool and the future of public-domain personality measures. Journal of Research in Personality, 40, 84-96.

Also, if you're going for pure personality one of the 5 factor tools would probably be a better fit (e.g., NEO-PI, R)

Would the MIPS (Millon Index of Personality Styles) be any cheaper? Not sure since I haven't used it in research. I know that PAR had a student discount, which I was able to get when I used the PAI for my thesis.

Also, as others have pointed out, MCMI's psychometric properties become trash when it's used with a non-clinical sample.

Yeah, Millon has the big issue of not mapping onto DSM-5 or other agreed-upon personality disorder constructs.

Also, when I was a young, naive grad student I used the MCMI in a college sample and got THRASHED by reviewers. Learn from my mistakes!

We decided upon the MCMI in the proposal and are now discussing funding options, or finding a free measurement instead (I would have to edit that part of my proposal then)

I think I’m going to see what my committee thinks about using the PDQ-4. It costs $39 for 100 uses so I don’t mind paying out of pocket for that. Thank you all for your help!

Thank you! Does it cost to use?

Nope, it's an emerging measure through APA that is freely available. Here's the link to the full version, but there are also short versions as well.

https://www.psychiatry.org/File Lib...ty-Inventory-For-DSM-5-Full-Version-Adult.pdf

Of note, it doesn't have the huge research base supporting it yet (as it's a new measure) but at least it's free. As others have said, don't use the MCMI. It's trash :)

As others have said, I would really consider the IPIP options or the PID-5, both of which are completely free and have no strings attached. Just FYI, you can use the IPIP scales to basically create the NEO (a widely used personality measure, but one that costs money). That is, you can assess all five-factor model domains and facets with the IPIP scales.

Other free options include:
-The BFI-2 (which also is brief if that matters); http://www.colby.edu/psych/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2013/08/bfi2-form.pdf
-The HEXACO PI-R (60 or 120 item versions); The HEXACO Personality Inventory - Revised
-The IPIP-120 (another big five measure that covers the same content as the NEO); http://psycnet.apa.org/record/2014-24009-001
-The FI-FFM( another big five measure); Development and Validation of the Faceted Inventory of the Five-Factor Model (FI-FFM). - PubMed - NCBI

As I hope that makes clear, there are many solid free options. I am biased here, but I think all of these measures also are stronger empirically than legacy measures such as the MMPI and MCMI, especially if you don't have some sort of specific clinical purpose in mind (e.g., validity testing in forensic settings). Good luck!

As others have said, I would really consider the IPIP options or the PID-5, both of which are completely free and have no strings attached. Just FYI, you can use the IPIP scales to basically create the NEO (a widely used personality measure, but one that costs money). That is, you can assess all five-factor model domains and facets with the IPIP scales.

Other free options include:
-The BFI-2 (which also is brief if that matters); http://www.colby.edu/psych/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2013/08/bfi2-form.pdf
-The HEXACO PI-R (60 or 120 item versions); The HEXACO Personality Inventory - Revised
-The IPIP-120 (another big five measure that covers the same content as the NEO); http://psycnet.apa.org/record/2014-24009-001
-The FI-FFM( another big five measure); Development and Validation of the Faceted Inventory of the Five-Factor Model (FI-FFM). - PubMed - NCBI

As I hope that makes clear, there are many solid free options. I am biased here, but I think all of these measures also are stronger empirically than legacy measures such as the MMPI and MCMI, especially if you don't have some sort of specific clinical purpose in mind (e.g., validity testing in forensic settings). Good luck!
I'm with you right up until you get to the 'stronger than the MMPI' line. The MCMI is junky - no doubt about it. That isn't true of the MMPI. The MMPI (even moreso the RF) has a ton of extremely strong psychometrics. They are equal to, or better than, any of the IPIP instruments. IPIP also lacks a normative basis, numerous comparison groups, extended predictive literature, embedded validity indicators, or cut-scores to indicate clinical pathology. I'm all for open access instruments, but it's a bit much to say it's stronger empirically than the MMPI.

Disclaimer: I publish on the MMPI as my primary research focus although I also examine other instruments and assessment processes/training more broadly.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm with you right up until you get to the 'stronger than the MMPI' line. The MCMI is junky - no doubt about it. That isn't true of the MMPI. The MMPI (even moreso the RF) has a ton of extremely strong psychometrics. They are equal to, or better than, any of the IPIP instruments. IPIP also lacks a normative basis, numerous comparison groups, extended predictive literature, embedded validity indicators, or cut-scores to indicate clinical pathology. I'm all for open access instruments, but it's a bit much to say it's stronger empirically than the MMPI.

Disclaimer: I publish on the MMPI as my primary research focus although I also examine other instruments and assessment processes/training more broadly.

I certainly agree with the norm, cut score, and validity testing pieces for the MMPI and that the RF is an improvement. I still think there are some issues with the original item pools and validation (criterion-keyed for the original measure, which is problematic for reasons such as discriminant validity and homogeneity) of the MMPI on which the RF is based. Even the RF is lengthy, which may not be all that practical for cases in which you want to administer a large number of measures for a research protocol. So, I should have clarified, but if the OP just wants efficient assessment of personality domain and facet scores (and not for diagnostic or classification purposes), I do see some advantages to other free, more efficient measures. Totally agree that there needs to be more predictive literature and norming for the other measures I listed though. I also will acknowledge that I obviously clearly have a bias for favoring other measures over the MMPI. I am guessing on this one that we're going to have to agree to disagree though :).

Nope, it's an emerging measure through APA that is freely available. Here's the link to the full version, but there are also short versions as well.

https://www.psychiatry.org/File Library/Psychiatrists/Practice/DSM/APA_DSM5_The-Personality-Inventory-For-DSM-5-Full-Version-Adult.pdf

Of note, it doesn't have the huge research base supporting it yet (as it's a new measure) but at least it's free. As others have said, don't use the MCMI. It's trash :)

And at the risk of showing way too much favoritism to some of these newer measure, I will say that the research on the PID-5 is quickly accumulating (already over 800 citations since it's publication in 2012). So, if the OP just wants to get dimensional assessment of personality pathology domains and facets, this could be a good way to go that would still yield publishable data.

Reactions: 2 users
I certainly agree with the norm, cut score, and validity testing pieces for the MMPI and that the RF is an improvement. I still think there are some issues with the original item pools and validation (criterion-keyed for the original measure, which is problematic for reasons such as discriminant validity and homogeneity) of the MMPI on which the RF is based. Even the RF is lengthy, which may not be all that practical for cases in which you want to administer a large number of measures for a research protocol. So, I should have clarified, but if the OP just wants efficient assessment of personality domain and facet scores (and not for diagnostic or classification purposes), I do see some advantages to other free, more efficient measures. Totally agree that there needs to be more predictive literature and norming for the other measures I listed though. I also will acknowledge that I obviously clearly have a bias for favoring other measures over the MMPI. I am guessing on this one that we're going to have to agree to disagree though :).
Agreed on most of the points above (fyi, the developing MMPI-3 will include an expanded item bank to ensure assessment of missing constructs like borderline). It comes down if the instrument is intended as a screener/research tool or if it is needed for a forensic purpose with a diagnostic utility. If you're screening for multiple areas numerous screeners quickly can stack up to the same time requirement. It's hard to say what is needed with a vague description of the project, although based on the MCMI use I suspect it is more than just normative personality.

Big +1 for the PID-5 as a potential instrument though.

I get that the MMPI has good psychometrics, but clinically I just haven't found it that useful. I'm a PAI person, myself!

Agreed on most of the points above (fyi, the developing MMPI-3 will include an expanded item bank to ensure assessment of missing constructs like borderline). It comes down if the instrument is intended as a screener/research tool or if it is needed for a forensic purpose with a diagnostic utility. If you're screening for multiple areas numerous screeners quickly can stack up to the same time requirement. It's hard to say what is needed with a vague description of the project, although based on the MCMI use I suspect it is more than just normative personality.

Big +1 for the PID-5 as a potential instrument though.

Good to know about the MMPI-3 stuff! Good luck to the OP on your project.

I am really confused about this question. There are a TON of free personality measures. Like a TON. Besides the IPIP, there are common ones like the BFI, the BFAS....these are Big Five measures. The MCMI is NOT a personality measure, it's a measure of personality pathology (and like others have said, it overpathologizes and is generally dumb....I don't even really teach it anymore). Do you want a measure of personality, or a measure of personality pathology? Because those aren't the same thing. I'd actually argue that the MMPI and PAI are also not really measures of personality, but of psychopathology with some validity measures. There's a bit of personality weaved into them for sure, but not obviously. I guess the major question to the OP is what exactly are you wanting to assess?!?!

Reactions: 4 users