FREE specialty resedencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigbutrealdreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always thought that students needed to pay for specialty education after dental school....
But today, I vaguely overheard someone say that some residencies pay YOU, if they are hospital-based... Could anyone clarify this for me?

Would entire 5 years of OMFS training be free?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! Do you know why some are paid and others arent? Seems so odd to me.

The paid part of the 6 year omfs residency is for med school tuition. Not all 6 year omfs programs require you to pay tuition. Some pay you while you pay for tuition, some have really low tuition, etc. it varies considerably from program to program.

Reactions: 1 user
VCU until recently was free tuition for perio and ortho. OMFS you get a stipend from the hospital around 50k a year

If the program is 6 years it is because it also requires you to get a MD which is why it takes two more years to train.
But both of those programs (4 or 6 years) lead to the same OMFS degree and you can perform the same procedures? Why then would someone want to go for 6 years? Thanks for replies also =)

How come OMFS is paid while other specialties you pay? So odd haha! what a bizarre educational system!

Can you expand on Hospital Housing please ?

Some hospitals subsidize housing for their residents - ie $700/mo studio incl utilities, option for parking (extra), etc.

Some hospitals subsidize housing for their residents - ie $700/mo studio incl utilities, option for parking (extra), etc.
Wow. Where can I get info regarding this? Stipend and housing? Nice. Some even match 401ks right?

Yeah, it was interesting moving into the studio apt. But the parking was almost more important. Wifey had a job in Yonkers and having a safe place and easy availability for her to park the car was priceless. As for the studio ..... I actually used the closet area as a study area. Desk. Light. Books. Etc.

Reactions: 1 user
But both of those programs (4 or 6 years) lead to the same OMFS degree and you can perform the same procedures? Why then would someone want to go for 6 years? Thanks for replies also =)
The MD may make you more marketable if your intent is to work in academia, perhaps in the ER as well. I have also heard that MD OMFS are more marketable for certain procedures; i.e. cleft palate.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in on this.

The MD may make you more marketable if your intent is to work in academia, perhaps in the ER as well. I have also heard that MD OMFS are more marketable for certain procedures; i.e. cleft palate.

Thank you for this information. =)

The MD degree allows more opportunities in fellowship training, otherwise the MD degree is peripheral knowledge and does not add to the scope of practice of an OMFS doctor.

Like everyone else has said already... it makes you more marketable for fellowships and in the academic setting, it is easier to get hospital privileges, and some people like to learn...

Not just stipend, but you have to include hospital housing and parking benefits. Comes in handy in a place like NYC.
Is this talking about all kinds of programs or a specific type of specialty?