SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

FREE specialty resedencies?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by bigbutrealdreams, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:40 PM.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. bigbutrealdreams

bigbutrealdreams 2+ Year Member

Aug 24, 2015
    I always thought that students needed to pay for specialty education after dental school....
    But today, I vaguely overheard someone say that some residencies pay YOU, if they are hospital-based... Could anyone clarify this for me?

Would entire 5 years of OMFS training be free?

Thanks!!!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. wengerout

wengerout SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2015
    4-year OMFS is free/paid, 6-year programs require two years of tuition.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

4. bigbutrealdreams

Aug 24, 2015
    Wow:) what about other specialties?

And why are some programs 4 and other 6 years for omfs?

5. wengerout

wengerout SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2015
    A lot of peds programs are paid. A small amount of programs in the other specialties are paid as well.

bigbutrealdreams likes this.
  6. bigbutrealdreams

Aug 24, 2015
    Thanks for the info! Do you know why some are paid and others arent? Seems so odd to me.

7. sbdento

sbdento 7+ Year Member

Nov 11, 2010
    The paid part of the 6 year omfs residency is for med school tuition. Not all 6 year omfs programs require you to pay tuition. Some pay you while you pay for tuition, some have really low tuition, etc. it varies considerably from program to program.

wengerout likes this.
  8. ncide

ncide 2+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2015
    VCU until recently was free tuition for perio and ortho. OMFS you get a stipend from the hospital around 50k a year

9. 2TH MVR

2TH MVR Orthodontist Dentist Silver Donor Classifieds Approved

Aug 3, 2017
    North Scottsdale, Arizona
    Not just stipend, but you have to include hospital housing and parking benefits. Comes in handy in a place like NYC.

Munks likes this.
  10. SmileItsLife

SmileItsLife

Jan 4, 2017
    If the program is 6 years it is because it also requires you to get a MD which is why it takes two more years to train.

11. Reality?

Reality?

Jul 23, 2016
    Can you expand on Hospital Housing please ?

12. bigbutrealdreams

Aug 24, 2015
    But both of those programs (4 or 6 years) lead to the same OMFS degree and you can perform the same procedures? Why then would someone want to go for 6 years? Thanks for replies also =)

13. bigbutrealdreams

Aug 24, 2015
    How come OMFS is paid while other specialties you pay? So odd haha! what a bizarre educational system!

14. Munks

Munks 7+ Year Member

May 14, 2010
    CA
    Some hospitals subsidize housing for their residents - ie $700/mo studio incl utilities, option for parking (extra), etc.

15. Reality?

Reality?

Jul 23, 2016
    Wow. Where can I get info regarding this? Stipend and housing? Nice. Some even match 401ks right?

16. 2TH MVR

2TH MVR Orthodontist Dentist Silver Donor Classifieds Approved

Aug 3, 2017
    North Scottsdale, Arizona

Yeah, it was interesting moving into the studio apt. But the parking was almost more important. Wifey had a job in Yonkers and having a safe place and easy availability for her to park the car was priceless. As for the studio ..... I actually used the closet area as a study area. Desk. Light. Books. Etc.

17. caffeine jitters

caffeine jitters

Apr 1, 2017
    The MD may make you more marketable if your intent is to work in academia, perhaps in the ER as well. I have also heard that MD OMFS are more marketable for certain procedures; i.e. cleft palate.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in on this.

18. bigbutrealdreams

Aug 24, 2015
    Thank you for this information. =)

19. ncide

ncide 2+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2015
    The MD degree allows more opportunities in fellowship training, otherwise the MD degree is peripheral knowledge and does not add to the scope of practice of an OMFS doctor.

20. SmileItsLife

SmileItsLife

Jan 4, 2017
    Like everyone else has said already... it makes you more marketable for fellowships and in the academic setting, it is easier to get hospital privileges, and some people like to learn...