Free stethescope from white coat ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcguy2

Minneapolis Master
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Our class just all got Littman Cardiology III stethescope during our whtie coat ceremoney. Is this a good one?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Lol. True...

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice steth, but sorry, it wasn't free.

Hey,

Our class just all got Littman Cardiology III stethescope during our whtie coat ceremoney. Is this a good one?

Thanks

Yep, but I'd strongly advise removing the pediatric diaphragm and attaching that little rubber ring doohickey that came in the box, to convert the peds diaphragm to a traditional bell. Traditional bells are more sensitive to very low frequencies. Textbooks teach heart sounds using a traditional bell. Its also what you have to use for Step2-CS (if you want to use only the dual frequency diaphragm on the Littmann, you have to verbalize doing so). Of course, when you are on Peds or FP rotation, you should convert back to the Peds diaphragm.

Good luck in med school

Hey,

Thanks

Whoa!

Way cool of your school to do that for you guys. They gave us free jackets - but I think it would have been neater if we got stethescopes.

no, those suck. no one uses them. you can send them to me and I will dispose of them appropriately. PM me for the address. :laugh:

Anyone have an opinion on the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite? This the one we were "given."
I actually bought the WA Harvey Elite instead of the Cardio III by choice. I like the sounds on the Elite better. It's a great scope. KentW had a great thread once about why he liked it as well.

Congrats to you and the OP. Both are great scopes. At most white coat ceremonies they give you a Fischer-Price My First Steth-o-scope. You're doing well...

The brand or model is irrelevant. The most important part is between your ears.

We all got keys to random exotic/sports cars... It was like the movie Skulls

Anyone have an opinion on the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite? This the one we were "given."

Its great, I used one for about 3 years (now i use the Harvey DLX). It doesnt have that tunable diaphragm which Littmann uses... which is an advantage, I find. Its like the difference between digital (Welch Allyn) vs. analog (Littmann) tuning on a radio. Welch Allyn scopes are pre-set at the frequencies where you'll hear what you need to. None of that pressure sensitive tuning junk.

good choice