Free time!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adjsmj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides opthamology, which surgical specialty would have the most time off? I am thinking joint reconstruction, and pediatric orhtopedics.
Maybe ENT.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...well since both joint reconstruction and Pediatric Ortho require Ortho residency and likely some Trauma call (even as an attending), I suspect that the time off issue is not as lenient as you might suspect. Even as a orthopod in private practice, you have to share call with your partners and often orthopedic injuries happen after hours. Patients who have joint reconstruction can still call you after hours with questions, although the surgeries aren't usually emergent.

For surgical specialties, the traditional best lifestyle choices are Derm, Ophtho, Uro, ENT and Plastics. All will still require some call and various amounts of Trauma/in house call if you are affiliated with an academic medical center.

Hope this helps.

what type of surgery is done in Derm? Is it all outpatient types of surgery like removing a wart.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by adjsmj:
•what type of surgery is done in Derm? Is it all outpatient types of surgery like removing a wart.•••

This brings up a question in my mind. What kind of surgeon does skin grafts? I always thought that Derms did, then the followup surgery was done by plastics.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I'm pretty sure platics do grafts. I don't really think the Derm folks do procedures in the OR. I may be incorrect, but I never considered/viewed Derm as a surgical specialty. If you look at any med school residency programs, they will not have Derm as a surgical specialty. That does not mean, however, that Derm's do not do hands on type of procedures, but I think they are mostly office/outpatient based.

All dermatologic surgery is done on an outpatient basis with local anesthesia. Dermatologists, specifically Mohs' surgeons, perform their own reconstructions (with skin grafts and flaps) following the micrographic excision of a basal or squamous cell carcinoma. They may call in plastics when there is extensive reconstruction to be done (e.g. oculoplastics is often called in when a large Mohs' layer is taken from around the eye). As far as non-Mohs' dermatologists, common surgical procedures performed are simple excisions of epidermal inclusion cysts, dysplastic nevi, basal cell carcinomas, squamous cell carcinomas, and lipomas. Cosmetically inclined dermatologists perform blepharoplasty and hair transplantation.

Originally posted by racerx:

This brings up a question in my mind. What kind of surgeon does skin grafts? I always thought that Derms did, then the followup surgery was done by plastics.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?•••

Because I know Dermatologists who do procedures typically seen as in the realm of PRS, I included them as a surgical specialty. While it is true that most Derm is Ambulatory/OPT Surgery such as those listed by others, Dermatologists can and do do things like facelifts, endoscopic brow lifts and the like as well. It is a little more advanced than simply pimple popping (eh PimplePopperMD?)