Free version of a test similar to SDMT or Digit Symbol from the WAIS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RejectClinical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our research group wants to incorporate something similar to digit symbol or SDMT, but both are copyrighted and there is a fee for using both of these tests. Other research studies, including NACC, have eliminated this test from the battery because of cost.

Is anyone aware of a similar test that is free? We plan to use it in a longitudinal aging study. We figured that if worst comes to worst, we'll create our own, but just thought I would see first.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We really want some kind of digit/symbol transcription task. It was sensitive to a variable of interest in our study before we had to pull it due to money.

We really want some kind of digit/symbol transcription task. It was sensitive to a variable of interest in our study before we had to pull it due to money.

I would first try to contact the publishers and see if you can use photocopied versions of the test for research purposes. This sometimes works, I've gotten permission in the past, but I have also been denied. You just have to explain that it's purely for research and that no compensation is occurring on the clinicians part, etc. Other than that, I can't think of a non-proprietary version of those tasks off the top of my head.

Reactions: 1 user
What a coincidence, this is a very similar question to one I have about measures for my thesis.

Please keep us updated on what you find or if you get permission from the publisher.