Free work for dental students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reed1978

Jou Kak is Geboek!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering...let's say while I'm in dental school I chip a tooth, or decide that I wanted to get my teeth whitened, or needed a root canal or whatever else could go awry with my teeth. Being a dental student...do I have to pay for this stuff at the school, or do the upper classman/professors/whathaveyou do the work. Just wondering what kind of hook up I get while I'm in?

For anyone at Tufts, do they give out those hype Oral-B toothbrushes with the university name on them? Do we get free little samples of toothpaste and junk?

Yes, I'm a scumbag. Don't even pretend you guys weren't wondering the same thing.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt if it would be free - but the cost will be much cheaper compared to patients' costs. It depends on the case, small things might not be charged at all if you are a dental student I guess.

This depends on each school what procedures are free to dental students. I know a student in UDM who gets free fillings done there. However, I am not sure if there will be any charges levied on more complex procedures (endo, dentures :p , etc...) I guess the best way is to contact the school for the exact info.

Members don't see this ad :)
We can get any *work* done for free, but we still pay cost for materials, lab fees, etc. So far I've just gotten a prophy, but bleaching trays, a night guard, & some short-term ortho are all on the to-do list. ;)

aphistis said:
We can get any *work* done for free, but we still pay cost for materials, lab fees, etc. So far I've just gotten a prophy, but bleaching trays, a night guard, & some short-term ortho are all on the to-do list. ;)

Make your own bleaching tray. My brother is a D1 at NYU and he made me a bleaching tray. He brought home some alginate, took the impression, mixed some yellow powder with water, poured I guess what he called a stone, brought it to school and I have a free bleeching tray. He also gets free bleach gel from school when the reps stop by...twice already

aphistis said:

what about the immediate family?
do they pay a reduced fee?

PERFECT3435 said:
what about the immediate family?

:laugh:

:rolleyes: - depends on the size of the family. :D

We had a thread like this a while back and someone mentioned his school offers almost all aspects of dental care free for its dental students, including orthodontic cases... Don't remember which though.

My school is more middle-of-the-road-- Some procedures are free, some are reduced price. For example, if you need amalgams, resins, root canals, prophies, wisdom tooth extractions, etc. if done by your fellow student it would be free. For procedures that require lab work (such as crowns or veneers), you pay just the lab fees if a fellow student is doing the work.

For procedures that require post-grad residents like ortho cases, students are charged half-price (i.e. $1200 for an ortho case which would cost a regular patient $2400).

Immediate family gets a discount (mom, dad, siblings and spouses only).

Not too bad. I definitely have healthier teeth now than when I first started dental school.. :D