French student who expect to study in the US needs some clarifications..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redmofo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I introduce myself quickly, I'm french, 18 years old and deeply interested in studying medicine in the United States. However, some points are still dark for me and I hope you'll be able to help me.

First; I would like to know if there are equivalencies between French and American medical studies. I obtained my scientific high school diploma last year and I am currently registered in the first year of medical school in Lyon (France).
Then; What must I envisage to be admitted in an American university of medicine? Is it useful to study medicine in France knowing that I will not stay here?
Finally; what levels are needed in biology, physical sciences, chemistry and English to pass the MCAT in the best conditions?

Thanks for answers.

PS: Please excuse the language errors. :oops:

- redmofo -

Members don't see this ad.

Although I do not study at an American med school, my sister does. I would definitely recommend that you study in a US med school if you plan to live there.

I've heard from two friends in France that med school there is just a nightmare (the concours examinations).

Regarding the knowledge of biology and other subjects, it's not really equivalent to anything. You have to have done an undergrad degree before you apply to med school and take the MCATs. So if you do come here, you will need to do a 4 year undergrad (you might get exemption of a year if you have good IB scores) and then you go to med school. Students usually start taking their MCATs from the junior year in college.

Good luck

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I intend to live there, so the number of years does not matter for me. You are fully informed, medical studies here are indeed a nightmare and the word is rather low ..
I wanted to ask if the 4 years before entering in university should necessarily be performed there or if I could just consider leaving after 4 years of hard work here.​

?!​

- redmofo -

Members don't see this ad :)
FINISH MEDICAL SCHOOL IN FRANCE!!!

If you come to the U.S. now:
You need to complete at least 90 credit hours in an American university.
After that you must take your MCAT
If you do well on thew MCAT you can now apply to medical school.
I know this notion is completely crazy for Europeans but don't forget: unless you have $300,000 sitting in the bank, you must figure out a way to come up with this money because that is how much you will end up paying after 3 years of college and 4 years of medical school.

I would complete my medical education in France for free, then would take the USMLEs and would come straight into residency in the U.S. Believe me, with a French degree and decent scores in your USMLEs YOU WILL GET INTO RESIDENCY in the U.S. Also, unlike Americans, you will be able to do this and be DEBT FREE!!:thumbup:

P.S. You are not allowed to transfer into an American school. As far as I know...

FINISH MEDICAL SCHOOL IN FRANCE!!!

I know this notion is completely crazy for Europeans but don't forget: unless you have $300,000 sitting in the bank, you must figure out a way to come up with this money because that is how much you will end up paying after 3 years of college and 4 years of medical school.

That's very expensive ... I do not know any french student who would be able to pay that kind of studies, this amount would be the budget that a rich family which invests in a property.. I knew that the studies were expensive in the USA but not so!

Are there any support for it, scholarships for example?​

If I don't find any way, I'll finish here, even if I'm really fed up with this country..! #@!$^%*?/​

- redmofo -

I'm sorry to deliver you that bad news:oops: I don't know of any such scholarships for medical school. Almost everyone in America take out student loans to pay for medical school. To take out loans you must be a permanent resident of the U.S. At least now you can see that not everything is bad where you are:laugh:
Americans can only dream of free education. In reality, after interests and all, many medical students will end up paying back close to half a million dollars to the bank for their college / medical school loans. Simply put: If you can't get into one of the high paying specialties in medicine in the U.S., even as a doctor, you will live in debt until the day you die:scared:
The good news is, you already are in medical school in France! For free! Graduate there, take the USMLEs and apply for residency training in the U.S. if you still want to come here. Good luck!

you will live in debt until the day you die:scared:

That's terrifying..
You convinced me, I think I'll stay here like you said with wisdom.:laugh: Indeed, it's not so bad I do not have to pay anything for the moment, so it's alright. I'm going now to sleep, but I would like to ask before what is exactly the USMLE.. I know that french forums about it are obviously full of mistakes and above all full of liars!

Thanks for all. Good afternoon. See you tomorrow. :thumbup:

- redmofo -

Hi redmofo, what NewGuyBob said is so right,
i'm also french from Marseille of algerian origin:), i was in your situation couple of years ago when i got tired from the system there, so i went to study somewhere else...

the usmle is the 3 step exam to get the license to practice medicine or do residency in the states, for the residency the 1st 2 steps are enough....
you don't have to do these steps after diploma, you can do them any time during your six years of studies and these exams are organized also in the big cities in france, so when you finish your six years you can go directly to the states and specialized there...

So it's better to study in france or any other eu university for your pregrad and do the postgrad there...

check usmle.org for more info about usmle...
some people from states really dream 2 be in ur situation, a lot are learning french and repeating years to graduate from france.

think well and Good luck

Hey DOKIka,

Thanks for this post which confirms what I planed yesterday after reading what NewGuyBob said. I hope all french students interested by leaving for the US will find this conversation because we're a lot here dreaming about becoming American doctors. Here they show us your "campus", your student's life and we have to admit that it's really attractive. However, what you said DOKIka contrasts with my old vision about it. When you say "somewhere else.." what do you mean? Where have you studied?

Je pense que tu parles encore au moins un peu français donc il serait vraiment interessant que tu me donnes un moyen de te contacter car tu sembles bien au courant et bien que je maitrise pas trop mal l'anglais, je suis evidemment bien plus à l'aise en français!

If you didnt understand, I'll translate it without any problem.

- redmofo -

It's always better to study in the US if at all you want to get into a competitive residency program. If not, then you can study in France and get in (you can still get into a competitive residency but it's quite challenging- you have to have an impressive CV and some really impressive USMLE scores)

I would finish in France...I mean even if you got Family Medicine in the US 150k/year DEBT-FREE it's not bad at all! And if you do well on the USMLE and improve your cv you can even aspire to something more...

Quote: "US 150k/year DEBT-FREE it's not bad at all!"

That is correct.

Shreypete: You are also correct in saying that some of the most competitive specialities are hard to get for IMG's. However, this should not be something that stops you from studying medicine abroad, especially if you don't have to pay for such education!

That being said, I have two close friends who just started Plastic Surgery fellowship, one from St George's and the other graduated from Jagiellonian in Krakow, Poland. A lot of what you end up doing in your career has to do with how good you perform during residency. MANY people get into the system (residency) through a non competitive specialty and then switch specialties.
Also the possibility of doing fellowships can turn your future around.

Yes however you must take into account that here in France after six years you don't get an MD degree. It's only after your residency so in any case you will have to repeat your residency in the us ...