MD & DO fresh bio grad needs advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

soolgorae

---------

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read this:

Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

And just forget about overseas missions. Do your ECs here.

I graduated in December 2016 with a BS Biology degree. But throughout my academic career, I wasn't wholeheartedly committed to becoming a physician but I do have interest in becoming one. Whenever I think about it, I honestly only think about wanting to join my uncle in medical missions or volunteering as one under an NGO, so at least I know myself that my intentions of wanting to become one is genuine and I'll be able to achieve those thoughts (goals?) in the long run.

I kind of just forced myself for my parents to study it which can be reflected from my cGPA of 3.10 and sGPA 2.8 (with retakes counted, though the AACOM retake policy probably obliterated that now). On paper, I was a Biology major who sucked at it the most but I want to convince the adcoms otherwise. I did do well in my upper division classes, especially Genetics and Mol Bio classes since I really am interested in them. Plowing through classes just for the sake of completing my degree and appeasing my parents hurt my GPA a lot, but what's done is done.

I need advice on which path to take to make myself competitive for MD and DO schools, though DO primarily now. Should I retake my pre-requisites at community college? If so, I will have 3 or 4 pre-requisites with a C that I'll need to retake. I'm trying to avoid SMP, but if a Post-Bacc program is more ideal I'd be interested in any advice. Or is it even worth it at all to fix my GPA? I do have 1, 500+ patient contact hours from our local hospital, some shadowing/volunteering experiences, and the time. I haven't taken the MCAT yet.

If you can advice me on another route or see a trend that it's probably not my true calling/have no chances of getting accepted to either, I'd also appreciate to know that. I've only been bombarded with negativity from both my adviser and family, with no real advice on alternatives. I don't want to give it up yet when I don't know if I can actually turn my situation around for the better.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read this:

Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

And just forget about overseas missions. Do your ECs here.
I think they meant that, as a physician, they see themselves as doing work with an NGO.

I would think a post bacc is necessary, and taking your prereqs at a community college in order to get better grades might be seen as substituting rigor for a better grade -- that doesn't really prove anything to the adcomms, other than your not being able to handle rigorous coursework (I'm not saying you can't; I'm telling you what it might be seen as). I'd say much of what you need to do depends on your MCAT score (hint: if you're still gunning for MD, it ought to be high[er than average]). DO is probably still within reach -- though, again, it depends on you MCAT and post-bacc.

I think medical school is still within reach, if you genuinely want to take that route. It will take dedication, and some reinvention. Read @Goro's post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I really appreciate the advice since I've been pretty lost! the first thought I had in GPA repair was retaking prereqs at a community college but it seems like taking upper-level science classes as I read in the post written by @Goro. in regards to post-baccs, I've also been researching on programs I can apply to but most of them require an MCAT score. should studying for the MCAT be my first thing to do then? but the fact that I had Cs in my prereqs is making me feel unconfident, and it might be a sign that I'm not ready for the content and can benefit from retaking classes first.

If you are planning taking the MCAT, by definition it must be your priority. I can't stress that enough: the MCAT will essentially make or break you (sorry if that puts the pressure on you).

Getting C's in your prereqs does somewhat indicate that you might be less than ready for the MCAT, but that's what studying is for! You will gain confidence as you go. The thing is, if you have a good MCAT score, it will allow some adcomms to forgive the performance in your prereqs, since a good score on the MCAT proves an understanding of the material.

I used Berkeley Review for content review (all their books besides the first biology one), Examkrackers "Biology 2 Systems," and EK practice exams in addition to all AAMC's material. Your priority is to get a good MCAT score, and especially if you decide to do a postbacc.

Reactions: 1 user
Which CC do you know offers upper level science courses?

Take your postbacc classes at a university, preferably science to help raise your sgpa. Hold off on studying for the MCAT for right now, you should probably focus on GPA repair.

Don't retake any classes you made a C or higher in. There's no more grade replacement for DO.

If you can do 36+ hours in postbacc with ~3.7+ gpa, take many upper level to increase sgpa, and study for the MCAT (you should wait till next year) and do well then DO would be a good option.

For MD you'll more than likely need an SMP or strong postbacc (46+ hours, 3.8+ GPA) and a high MCAT score, maybe 515+.

You'll need probably 2 gap years OP.

as of now, my local CC only offers upper level Microbiology for the Fall. I think it would be better at a university, though it's a tough decision financially since I wouldn't be a degree-seeking student anymore and will just be taking specific classes (I won't be covered by financial aid). but I suppose at this point, that's my most viable option to raise my sGPA, right?
Retaking your pre reqs that you made a C in will not help much because there is no longer grade replacement. I'm curious as to what your cGPA and sGPA are without grade replacement. Can you calculate them?

I'm sure the adcoms would want to see if you could handle upper level science courses, hence why it would need to be done at a university. The microbiology that is offered at the cc is NOT upper level (course number probably begins with a 1 or 2, or it's a 1000 or 2000 level, etc.).

You would need extensive GPA repair or likely an SMP

Op, do the cheapest option possible. Not everyone can afford an SMP. You can take a combination of CC classes and also some upper level university classes. Just do well in them and get a good mcat score which will demonstrate you've mastered the material.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile