Fresh College student aspiring to become a Pharmacist, few questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twinkie459

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm 20 years old. I attended community college 2 years back, but dropped out because of stress and depression. I had no path in life, I didn't even know if college was for me. This fall I am starting over as a Chem major because I would like to go into Pharmacy eventually. The medical field has always interested me and I finally have a goal in mind now to make a career of some sort out of this. I am starting off with 4 classes this semester, none of which are Chemistry because I need an English class as a pre-requisite that is only offered in the winter, so I wont be taking it until next semester. I have a lot of questions and concerns though. First off, I am worried a bit about my GPA. I am doing fine in all of my classes so far except Sociology (yes a lot of them are free electives to fill up credits) There were some technical difficulties between me and the professor, I was not receiving his emails, which I straightened out. It's early in the semester though, I still have a chance to pull off a decent grade I believe. Anyways, I was wondering what would be an ideal GPA to maintain if I'd like to go into Pharmacy? I'm starting at a low level math course and I understand I will need to take courses like Calculus, Organic Chem, but I am willing to work hard because this is something I take seriously. Its just stressful to me at the same time because Im afraid I wont be smart enough to do it, no matter how hard I try or my GPA will suffer and I will not be accepted into any pharmacy schools. I was a slacker in highschool, but that was because I just didn't care. Now I do, and I'm willing to work my ass off to become something that right now may seem impossible.

Members don't see this ad.

i would say minimum 3.0 both science and overall. around 3.5 u have decent chances at most schools imo.
make sure to continue volunteering. somewhere medical related and possibly some pharmacy experience if u can get.

if u work ur ass off, pharmacy isnt impossible. keep trying and stay motivated and dedicated

gl :)