Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Fresh Start Program

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by 3aliyah, Mar 29, 2002.

1. 3aliyah

3aliyah Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everybody
    Here's my background and then I will ask my question:

I've been pondering my med school decision for the past year and when our little girl was born I decided that I should just go into dental (becuase I like that also) and because time committment isn't as great. But deep down in my heart of hearts I knew that I truly wanted to become a doctor. So I'm going to find a way to balance my family and my medical school somehow. The next thing that bothered me was the MD/DO thing and I totally agree with LukegoCowboys in his thread that the whole issue is a worthless topic to debate. I worried that if I became a DO I would not receive as much recognition because we are thinking of moving out of the states after my med school. But now all I know is that I want to become a doctor and I want to be the best that I can be. If I can have that extra training that DO's get then that's just another tool I will have when I'm overseas. My grades from my undergrad really stink - I totally admit my blatant disregard for academics during much of my undergrad (BA Anthropology)years. I was even dismissed from the university and after that I guess I had the sense to study hard and pull up my grades to a final 2.8. By the grace of God I got to do a Master's degree in Biology and my GPA ended up being a 3.75 - it only fell because in the end I had the baby and got 3 B's. I'm currently working on a research paper for a journal and so that will be published within the year I hope.

I have yet to take my physics or o-chems and I have decided that I should wait a year because the Academic Fresh Start Program will exclude grades 10 years old or older (yes it actually took me on and off 8 years to finish my B.A.!). Once you implement it then you can't just stop it, so I wanted to make sure a bunch of grades got wiped simply by time.

Does anyone know what states implement this policy? If the state does it then it's schools abide by it. Am I the only person to do this?

2. smc927

smc927 El Flaquito
    7+ Year Member

I don't know, but I have a suggestion. Use the web to find other schools across the country. Send an email to them and ask the question. I have done so when I have had other questions and usually get a response in 24-48 hours.
    Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...