1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Fresh Start Program

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by 3aliyah, Mar 29, 2002.

1. 3aliyah

3aliyah Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everybody
    Here's my background and then I will ask my question:

I've been pondering my med school decision for the past year and when our little girl was born I decided that I should just go into dental (becuase I like that also) and because time committment isn't as great. But deep down in my heart of hearts I knew that I truly wanted to become a doctor. So I'm going to find a way to balance my family and my medical school somehow. The next thing that bothered me was the MD/DO thing and I totally agree with LukegoCowboys in his thread that the whole issue is a worthless topic to debate. I worried that if I became a DO I would not receive as much recognition because we are thinking of moving out of the states after my med school. But now all I know is that I want to become a doctor and I want to be the best that I can be. If I can have that extra training that DO's get then that's just another tool I will have when I'm overseas. My grades from my undergrad really stink - I totally admit my blatant disregard for academics during much of my undergrad (BA Anthropology)years. I was even dismissed from the university and after that I guess I had the sense to study hard and pull up my grades to a final 2.8. By the grace of God I got to do a Master's degree in Biology and my GPA ended up being a 3.75 - it only fell because in the end I had the baby and got 3 B's. I'm currently working on a research paper for a journal and so that will be published within the year I hope.

I have yet to take my physics or o-chems and I have decided that I should wait a year because the Academic Fresh Start Program will exclude grades 10 years old or older (yes it actually took me on and off 8 years to finish my B.A.!). Once you implement it then you can't just stop it, so I wanted to make sure a bunch of grades got wiped simply by time.

Does anyone know what states implement this policy? If the state does it then it's schools abide by it. Am I the only person to do this?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. smc927

smc927 El Flaquito
    7+ Year Member

I don't know, but I have a suggestion. Use the web to find other schools across the country. Send an email to them and ask the question. I have done so when I have had other questions and usually get a response in 24-48 hours.
    Good luck!