Fresh water/Salt water fish?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dencology

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
guys i have a hard time understanding the concept of Fresh water fish and salt water fish. can anyone explain this to me? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

what don't you understand? Are you talking about them being in a hyper vs hypoosmotic environment?

yeah be a little more specific and ill try and help. What do you not understand?

salt water fish are in constant threat of dessication as a result of their hyperosmotic environment - water flows out into the environment and therefore they must constantly drink water to compensate for this "imbalance." in addition, they produce a concentrated urine. on the other hand, fresh water fish are in a hypoosmotic environment and as a result water will naturally tend to flow into the cells of the internal environment. thus, they need to "drink" less water and produce a less concentrated urine. please feel free to correct me if I made a mistake somewhere in this brief description... everything is off the top of my head.

Members don't see this ad :)
salt water fish are in constant threat of dessication as a result of their hyperosmotic environment - water flows out into the environment and therefore they must constantly drink water to compensate for this "imbalance." in addition, they produce a concentrated urine. on the other hand, fresh water fish are in a hypoosmotic environment and as a result water will naturally tend to flow into the cells of the internal environment. thus, they need to "drink" less water and produce a less concentrated urine. please feel free to correct me if I made a mistake somewhere in this brief description... everything is off the top of my head.

Well-said, but there is also salt transportation. Salt is released from the gills in salt-water fish and absorbed in fresh-water ones.
Rubberdamman summed it up well.