Quantcast

Fresh water/Salt water fish?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dencology

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
guys i have a hard time understanding the concept of Fresh water fish and salt water fish. can anyone explain this to me? thanks.

tranv117

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what don't you understand? Are you talking about them being in a hyper vs hypoosmotic environment?

JBarr29

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
yeah be a little more specific and ill try and help. What do you not understand?

Rubber Dam Man

protecting you since 1950
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
salt water fish are in constant threat of dessication as a result of their hyperosmotic environment - water flows out into the environment and therefore they must constantly drink water to compensate for this "imbalance." in addition, they produce a concentrated urine. on the other hand, fresh water fish are in a hypoosmotic environment and as a result water will naturally tend to flow into the cells of the internal environment. thus, they need to "drink" less water and produce a less concentrated urine. please feel free to correct me if I made a mistake somewhere in this brief description... everything is off the top of my head.

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
salt water fish are in constant threat of dessication as a result of their hyperosmotic environment - water flows out into the environment and therefore they must constantly drink water to compensate for this "imbalance." in addition, they produce a concentrated urine. on the other hand, fresh water fish are in a hypoosmotic environment and as a result water will naturally tend to flow into the cells of the internal environment. thus, they need to "drink" less water and produce a less concentrated urine. please feel free to correct me if I made a mistake somewhere in this brief description... everything is off the top of my head.

Well-said, but there is also salt transportation. Salt is released from the gills in salt-water fish and absorbed in fresh-water ones.
Rubberdamman summed it up well.