Freshman Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-Dent-David

Super Hero
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Volunteer Work: What should I do? What would look good on dental school applications?

Academic advice: Any advice welcome. I know I need a high gpa, but anything else would be appreciated.

I am new here, and so far I am very impressed. There seem to be a lot of informed discussions going on. This sight may very well be a close friend to be for the next four years along with AMP, an energy drink for those late night study sessions. hehe ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi David,

Welcome to SDN!!!

It's great you are focusing on dentistry so early on. I didn't even know that dentistry is for me until Junior year of college. Anyways, if you got good grades and motivation you might be able to apply as a third year. However, I would definately find people to shadow. If you go to a college that has a dental school that should be no problem If you don't, don't dispair but think positive and call a few dentists or even ask your own dentist if you could take some time (a few hours perhaps) to observe or maybe assist after you get aquainted with the scene.

Academically, you know that dentistry is one of the hottest fields right now. By the time you apply grades will be higher and test scores will be higher, no doubt. I would definately take your academics seriously. Granted, freshman year is the most "forgivable" year but I would try to make sure that you try your hardest and get the best grades possible. Also, take a diverse load. Dental schools would love to see you take variety of classes like languages, arts, drama, etc.

I think research is a good prospective way to illustrate that you love to learn...however I would wait until you see what interests you. It might be studying cancer or it might be bugs..who knows. Your major should be an interest that you have.

Don't think biology is the major of choice for pre-dents...I would take a diverse load of classes your freshman year and see what interests you.

I hope this helps,

feel free to post more questions if they come up.

DesiDentist

David,

The point of diversity cannot be stressed enough. When in dental school you will study a hard-science curriculum, so don't force yourself to major in biology, zoology, micro, biochem, etc., unless you feel absolutely drawn to that major.

No other time in your life will you have such a full opportunity to learn about other cultures or other peoples. Don't fall into the trapping which mandates that dental school applicants must have a science background. Major and minor in subjects which are truly of interest to you!

I'm an English major, and I've received nothing but praise for my decision at my interviews. In some ways, it allows me to stand out before I even reach the interview phase.

Now, the caveat: Your science grades must be respectable if you go a non-science route. Further, your DAT scores must also be competitive. NOT being a science major is NOT an excuse for a lower science GPA or lower DAT scores than other applicants.

Good luck with the process, and enjoy yourself as you go through college! Remember that an education doesn't solely come through the reading of books or the taking of exams.