freshman at c/c wants to get into UOP dental. The fastest route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arplayer2k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently a freshman at a 2-year college, working on finishing my g/e classes in about 1.25 years before I transfer out. After doing some researching into careers and working full-time after high school for a few years, I have realized I want to become a dental surgeon. Since I am 22 years old right now, I want to finish my schooling as quickly as possible so I can start practicing sooner. I wanted to ask a few questions to UOP current students or alumni regarding what the best AND quickest route I can take to get accepted into the school of dentistry.

Would it be more advantageous for me to:

a)Transfer into the 3-year b/s in dental hygiene after I finish 60 g/e units at my c/c and then apply to the school of dentistry after graduation? (Will this increase my chances of getting into the UOP School of Dentistry since I went there for undergrad?)
b) Transfer to UOP as a two-year student into their undergraduate school as a business admin major and bio minor, take necessary pre-requisite courses @ UOP and then take the DAT (my aim will be to get 21 all across) and apply as a 3rd year undergrad student?
c) Transfer as a 2-year student to UCI as an econ major/bio minor, take my pre-requisite's during my 3rd year there and then apply as a 3rd-year undergrad student after taking my DAT's?

The school of dentistry states that students are eligible for transfer after 90 semester units. I know that the acceptance rate is less than 10%, but I have also read several posts in this forum where people have gotten interviews and some acceptances at UOP or UTA or other schools being a 3rd year student. I would love to hear input from those of you that might have an idea or have been lucky enough to get accepted after 3 years of undergrad.

Obviously if I don't get in, I will finish my bachelors, but I want to make my application as attractive at the 3rd year stage so I will have a good chance. My current GPA is 3.6 and I will work hard to maintain that through my 4 years if necessary.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a graduate or current student of UOP, however I am applying as a 3year student. I think you are on the right track. My personal opinion is that you should go to a university as quickly as possible. Obviously you should get the highest DAT/GPA you can blah blah blah.
As far as going to these different programs I personally don't think its that big of a deal, however you need to do what UOP thinks looks the best. They have really helpfull Admissions people there and will speak openly to you about your situation.
If I were you I would get on really good terms with the deans at UOP, shadow their dentists, and prove to them that they cannot afford not to accept you.
My father and uncle both went to UOP as three year students. both went to community colleges. My dad graduated #1 in his class and my uncle #2 in his class, so I know and they know that being a three year applicant is not necessarily going to hinder your success.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Take out a loan for 40,000 and send it in as a 'donation' with your secondary application.

Fastest route would be to get into a state school or university, get stellar grades 3.4GPA + , and 21+ on DAT.

Don't rush though unless you can and still get those scores.

Thanks for the encouraging responses. I will contact the admissions department and see what they recommend as well, of course.

Take out a loan for 40,000 and send it in as a 'donation' with your secondary application.

Fastest route would be to get into a state school or university, get stellar grades 3.4GPA + , and 21+ on DAT.

Don't rush though unless you can and still get those scores.

Has to be the best bet.
Good luck, a lot of older students would love to do the 3 year program but sometimes it doesnt happen. keep your sights open on other programs as well.

UnderRep,

Does age matter for the accelerated program? The reason I ask is I have 3-4 years of business experience, which I would think would give me an edge over the younger applicants. And if my stats are 3.6GPA and 20-21 on the DAT, why wouldnt they want to accept me?