Freshman at university in California, Any advice for anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rahinton

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to SDN and also a freshman in college at UCD. This is my first time ever posting anything so I just wanted to ask for any advice that anyone may have for reaching the dream! Lol But seriously, yeah, anything at all is appreciated. Oh and I'm a URM if that's at all relevant to this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello and welcome to SDN! I think there is a lot of good advice here and not so great advice here, but let me give you a little background about myself. I am a recent UC graduate and currently applying to MD programs this cycle. So far I have managed to secure a few interviews within California, but am not accepted anywhere yet. As for the actual advice.

-Try maintaining as high as a GPA as possible (it's very easy to lower, but very hard to raise if you manage to dig yourself in a hole)
-Pay attention in your Chem, Physics, Bio, and Orgo Classes! It'll all show up on your MCAT
-Get involved in any activities that you may even be REMOTELY interested in, you can always cut out the ones you aren't a fan of later(BUT Grades > Activities, you can always get involved and do activities, but you will not get another chance to do your classes over again)
-It's easy to get lost in the cracks at a large institution, make sure to find some good upperclassmen/mentors who have been through the process and can provide school/course-specific advice(THIS WAS HUGE FOR ME)
-Have fun/make friends/take advantage of all the resources available at a large UC. Honestly, I am STILL learning about the resources that my UC has to offer, and there are some pretty great services, so make sure to keep an eye out!

Hello and welcome to SDN! I think there is a lot of good advice here and not so great advice here, but let me give you a little background about myself. I am a recent UC graduate and currently applying to MD programs this cycle. So far I have managed to secure a few interviews within California, but am not accepted anywhere yet. As for the actual advice.

-Try maintaining as high as a GPA as possible (it's very easy to lower, but very hard to raise if you manage to dig yourself in a hole)
-Pay attention in your Chem, Physics, Bio, and Orgo Classes! It'll all show up on your MCAT
-Get involved in any activities that you may even be REMOTELY interested in, you can always cut out the ones you aren't a fan of later(BUT Grades > Activities, you can always get involved and do activities, but you will not get another chance to do your classes over again)
-It's easy to get lost in the cracks at a large institution, make sure to find some good upperclassmen/mentors who have been through the process and can provide school/course-specific advice(THIS WAS HUGE FOR ME)
-Have fun/make friends/take advantage of all the resources available at a large UC. Honestly, I am STILL learning about the resources that my UC has to offer, and there are some pretty great services, so make sure to keep an eye out!
Hey! Thanks so much for the advice! Maybe you can help me: I'm currently in my first quarter and the only pre-med class I'm taking is psych 001 and I met with a peer advisor and we created a pre-med academic plan. The plan has me taking ochem and bio together, y'know? I'm a bit worried that taking too double will be too rigorous. But I would also, ideally, like to graduate in 4 years. I'm not really sure how to stretch the classes out or even if I should!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Thanks so much for the advice! Maybe you can help me: I'm currently in my first quarter and the only pre-med class I'm taking is psych 001 and I met with a peer advisor and we created a pre-med academic plan. The plan has me taking ochem and bio together, y'know? I'm a bit worried that taking too double will be too rigorous. But I would also, ideally, like to graduate in 4 years. I'm not really sure how to stretch the classes out or even if I should!
If you can handle it, then go for it.

Hmm, it's hard for me to tell. I can tell you though that most people do end up doubling up or even taking 3 science courses in a quarter. I would suggest finding some upperclassmen who have taken these courses and see what they may recommend in terms of your course plan.

As a freshman just do good in your classes and go to the BEACH!! Not a bad idea to start some volunteering either, but as a freshman you still have time to do that sophomore and junior year so have some fun.

Hi, I'm new to SDN and also a freshman in college at UCD. This is my first time ever posting anything so I just wanted to ask for any advice that anyone may have for reaching the dream!
In addition to the comments posted above by @Ebayit ... I would encourage you to "begin to think" about becoming more familiar with different UC Davis professors/PIs whose research projects might interest you in the near future.

1. Although you're still relatively new to UG life, it can never hurt to ask around your campus to learn about different research opportunities at UC Davis. Scope out the scene. You can learn more about various research projects (by being a student in UG classes, such as bio and chemistry), reviewing the UROP list at your school, asking juniors and seniors, asking Teaching Assistants/graduate students, etc. Find out *what* is going on at your school.

2. You can also look into clinical/volunteering opportunities offered at the UC Davis School of Medicine or the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. Anyway, you get the general idea. You might discover some amazing clinical opportunities at these two schools and, in so doing, you might obtain valuable passive/active shadowing experience. Clinical experience, as well as non-clinical volunteering is important: quality is better than quantity. Look around, ask around, and explore ... as a freshman, time is on your side.

3. If you eventually find a research study that really interests you, you can contact the prof/PI and ask about working as a student-researcher-assistant on the professor's research team. In so doing, you will gain valuable "scientific method" research experience and the professor will have a (presumably) chance to become more familiar with you, as well as with your skills as a promising student-researcher/future medical student. Why is this important? Later on, you might want to ask one or more of these professors to become your LOR writers for medical school and professors (who know you well) should be able to write strong LORs for you.

Thank you.

In addition to the comments posted above by @Ebayit ... I would encourage you to "begin to think" about becoming more familiar with different UC Davis professors/PIs whose research projects might interest you in the near future.

1. Although you're still relatively new to UG life, it can never hurt to ask around your campus to learn about different research opportunities at UC Davis. Scope out the scene. You can learn more about various research projects (by being a student in UG classes, such as bio and chemistry), reviewing the UROP list at your school, asking juniors and seniors, asking Teaching Assistants/graduate students, etc. Find out *what* is going on at your school.

2. You can also look into clinical/volunteering opportunities offered at the UC Davis School of Medicine or the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. Anyway, you get the general idea. You might discover some amazing clinical opportunities at these two schools and, in so doing, you might obtain valuable passive/active shadowing experience. Clinical experience, as well as non-clinical volunteering is important: quality is better than quantity. Look around, ask around, and explore ... as a freshman, time is on your side.

3. If you eventually find a research study that really interests you, you can contact the prof/PI and ask about working as a student-researcher-assistant on the professor's research team. In so doing, you will gain valuable "scientific method" research experience and the professor will have a (presumably) chance to become more familiar with you, as well as with your skills as a promising student-researcher/future medical student. Why is this important? Later on, you might want to ask one or more of these professors to become your LOR writers for medical school and professors (who know you well) should be able to write strong LORs for you.

Thank you.
No, thank you! I really appreciate your input. This is really valuable information
Also, do you know I could get involved in shadowing a physician?

Don't believe everything your classmates tell you about getting into medical school, whether it's about MCAT, EC's, or the application process in general. I can't tell you how much bad advice I received from my peers and even the pre-health dept. May SDN be your ultimate mentor.

Reactions: 1 user
Study like crazy and enjoy UCD. Go to Office Hours. Take the CHE 118 series with Eskandari, MMI 188 with Torres during your Jr/Sr years. If you want a lot of flexibility then major in Bio Sci (can take a huge variety of classes that are easy A's), NPB/Biochem if you REALLY love the major (some of the classes are offered by one Prof and if they have horrible curves/suck at teaching your GPA can tank). Most of your classmates will drop the Pre-med route by the end of ochem series. Do clinical research starting end of the year or by next year if you want a publication, look at Aggie job link for postings. Work at COHO if you want to party and make friends outside of class.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
There's doctor offices in Davis that will make it easy to shadow (Woodland health care) and if you can commute to sac then call some doctors at UC Davis medical center and ask to speak with the clinic manager about shadowing opportunities. Be extremely polite and thankful with the managers because they're doing you a favor.

[Deleted comment]

Last edited:
I really appreciate your input. This is really valuable information. Also, do you know I could get involved in shadowing a physician?
You are welcome to shadow any physician who allows you to shadow her or him, at any time.

Many SDNers have offered valuable suggestions and useful comments concerning physician shadowing. So, feel free to review the SDN threads about shadowing to become much more familiar with what to expect, and what to do, and how to do it, and where to do it, etc.

Thank you.

+1 about not believing everything your classmates tell you. Pre-meds are competitive and we tend to compare ourselves to our peers. The best advice anyone gave me in undergrad was "When you compare yourself to others, you are probably comparing your worst day to their highlight reel". Undergrad is hard enough as it is without all that extra pressure. Pursue your passions, study hard and you will end up where you are meant to be.

You are welcome to shadow any physician who allows you to shadow her or him, at any time.

Many SDNers have offered valuable suggestions and useful comments concerning physician shadowing. So, feel free to review the SDN threads about shadowing to become much more familiar with what to expect, and what to do, and how to do it, and where to do it, etc.

Thank you.
Thank you! Any advice or help is useful. I really appreciate it

There's doctor offices in Davis that will make it easy to shadow (Woodland health care) and if you can commute to sac then call some doctors at UC Davis medical center and ask to speak with the clinic manager about shadowing opportunities. Be extremely polite and thankful with the managers because they're doing you a favor.

Thank you! I'm glad this advice is really specific to my situation. This is going to help me a lot!

LOL Meaning what? :)
Meaning there are more Asians applying to medical school as a group than white people. They also have above average scores so competition for Cali schools ia insane. So being an Asian in California means the bar is set higher for you. 32+ mcat 3.8 + gpa. If you are Asian and want to stay in Cali.

Meaning there are more Asians applying to medical school as a group than white people. They also have above average scores so competition for Cali schools ia insane. So being an Asian in California means the bar is set higher for you. 32+ mcat 3.8 + gpa. If you are Asian and want to stay in Cali.
Oh no, I'm an African-American female Lol

Thank you! Any advice or help is useful. I really appreciate it
1. Since you're a student at UC Davis, you can look at the UC Davis SOM website and the UCDMC website, and contact some of the "teaching" physicians (e.g., EM, cardiology), and explain your desire to shadow some physicians, in your passive role as a pre-med student. Some UCD teaching physicians might allow you to shadow them. Be polite and make sure your cv is up-to-date in case they want a copy of your cv.

2. You can contact the local medical association (for Davis, California) and ask for some other suggestions. At times, semi-retired physicians in the local community will welcome pre-med students because they might have some extra time.

3. You can ask your own personal physician for some shadowing time, or for his/her shadowing recommendations and references.

4. You can go to other local hospitals (e.g., Woodland, Sutter Davis, etc.) and ask around for shadowing opportunities.

Thank you.