Freshman going from nursing to pre-dental looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kef318

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After one semester at Pitt's nursing school, I decided nursing is not for me. I've already switched my major to biology and am now looking for advice as to how best to maintain a high science gpa, overall gpa, as well as fit in all the other things (research, ECs, shadowing, etc.) in the hopes of going to dental school.

Can anyone out there offer a "plan"? I know keeping a high gpa is extremely important and want to make sure I do everything I can to achieve that.

Members don't see this ad.

my advice is to study something that you are passionate about, it will be much easier to keep a high gpa if you're interested. You don't need to major in a science, in fact if you don't excel in science it'll be much more difficult to do well. space your prereqs out to try and avoid a seriously difficult semester but keep in mind that schools will keep an eye on your workload and how you handle it.

I shadowed before I took any pre-dental courses to make sure I really wanted to do it. That is the most important because there will be times you question if it'll be worth it.

I'm currently a junior and a Biology major. My best advice is to get your pre-req's out of the way in two years (since dental schools do look at your course loads). I shadowed every Friday since I didn't have classes then over breaks I shadowed or volunteered at the clinic more. I maintained my grades but still was making an appearance weekly in my dentist's office to observe. Doing this you can build up shadowing hours as well as build a relationship with the dentist that way by the time you are a junior and ready to apply your dentist will know you very well and will gladly write you an awesome recommendation! Best of luck to you!