1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Freshman GPA... I screwed up..

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by sdh0202, Dec 23, 2008.

1. sdh0202

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi guys, I'm first year freshman who just finished first semester, i received my grades for the all my classes and my grades were...

Chemistry I - B+ (big mistake,, i thought i'm gonna get A on this one... Now i'm worried..)

Calculus I- B- (another big one... i somehow messed up the final)

English compostion- B+

Chem lab - B

Global crisis B

so my cumulative GPA were,,, 3.07.. i have to maintain at least 3.5 in order to get into the pharmacy school. Now,, i have to work really hard to get all A's for the next semester right? lol..
    what do you guys think about my grades..?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pharmdapp87

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Your grades aren't terrible, so you still have a chance to improve. Just go into next semester and go all out if you have to. I wouldn't be really worried to be honest, so long as you stay above a 3.0. The important thing to remember is that grades are NOT everything. Make sure you have some extracurriculars, volunteer somewhere, get in some research or shadow at/work for a pharmacy or do both. Whatever you can d to be well rounded, pursue. Even more importantly, your PCAT score (if your school(s) of choice require them) also provides some weight on your application. I know it seems bad right now, but it really is not that bad. It's just your first semester. Just keep your chin up and work your hardest next semester Ganbatte!:thumbup:

4. SexyPlexi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Ditto Pharmdapp87. Keep working hard and do your very best, try to make yourself a well rounded canidate with experience, volunteer, ECs, etc. You will be fine!

5. SexyPlexi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    PS - I have a bachelors in business and I'm working on my Science prereqs...so this was a LONG time ago....but I FAILED THEATER my first semester in college. :laugh: So, you're doing way better then I did. And I think I have a good shot at getting in. I have above a 3.0 and make As/Bs in prereq classes, have leadership experience in my sorority, was a professional cheerleader, have pharmacy experience and business experience...so you see...this is DEFINITELY not the end of the world for you. Just keep going and you will get there! Don't worry so much. Work hard and do your best - that is really all you can do!

6. ^=^

^=^ S.D.N.'s BATMAN
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    OP- Don't worry about it, you're doing fine.

7. WannabePharm88

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    [sarcasm] Your chances of getting Pharm school is over, find another career [/sarcasm]

You have long ways to go for your pre-req, don't stress, stressing too much won't do anything. Relax and prepare for the next semester.

8. thephoenician88

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    frankly, those should've all been A's to help your gpa in the long run.

your next sem. should defn be all a's so in an interview you can say "i wasn't focusing on my goal etc"

9. koercive

koercive Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
    Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    my first quarter gpa: 3.0

my overall after 4 years: 3.6

don't overload on units and stay focused on your pursuit for your end goal of pharmacy school -- 1 semester out of ~8 semesters tends to even out assuming you do well from now on . gl

10. Transcend

Transcend Hopeful Student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just try to earn higher grades in the future semesters, and if you keep it up you should be fine.

11. diastole

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm going to echo the other posters in saying that you are fine but I would look into what happened in finals week. It looks like you did worse in two finals than you expected if I'm reading your post correctly. Are you waiting too long to start studying? This is one area you need to look into so you can get better grades in your next semesters. Study early and often and you will be fine.

12. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Improvement looks good too on applications.

13. ttopping

ttopping UB Class of 2011
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm with everyone else, don't panic, just focus on next semester and leave this in the past. Don't let it bug you and get in the way.

My first semester i got a 3.1 (also needed to keep a 3.5 to get in) then I learned from my mistakes such as studying habits, underestimating the difficulty of a class or final, etc. I cracked down second semester to get a 3.9.

You'll be alright, good luck!

14. PharMed2016

PharMed2016 Eternal Scholar
    Physician Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My first semester in college was dismal, 2.72 and my next was that much better... 3.02. But after 3+ semesters more... my GPA is a 3.45, so it is definitely do-able. Not to mention I'm in pharmacy school now. Don't sweat it.

15. SHC1984

SHC1984 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    People shouldn't worry so much about their GPA. Its the PCAT that you have to ace to get in! 3.0 GPA and 90+ on PCAT will most likely get you a few seats! :thumbup: Good Luck! :)

16. Storm90

Storm90 Accepted Pharmacy Student
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    You think that's screwing up your grades?!?!?! AHAHAHAHAHAHA:laugh:
    Try: Chem 1&2: D
    Bio 1&2: C
    English: B+/C
    Physics 1&2: C
    Calculus1: F
    :barf:This was my freshman year nightmare. It seemed to never stop. I would have killed for those grades to start off with. Instead, I wasted more time before really buckling down and getting my act together. What the adcoms want to see is how you respond to adversity. My grades were garbage then, and I was told by more than one person that I'd never be good enough to be accepted into their program. You know how my last courses turned out?

Organic1: A-
    Organic2: A
    Biochem: A
    Economics of Health Care: B+ (And yes, I was pissed about this one. I missed out on an A- by 0.25%).

I got accepted earlier this year to a fantastic school. I'd love nothing better than to go to the particular persons at the other programs who told me I couldn't do it, show them my acceptance to a BETTER, MORE COMPETITIVE program than theirs, then walk out knowing I would have made their school a better place, but they blew their chances with me. Don't panic with a 3.07 GPA. After one semester it's not a big deal. Focus, work hard, and you should do fine. Straight A's will get you a 3.53cum, so it's not impossible, just challenging.

17. WhiteSnows

WhiteSnows Think Right and Grow Rich

Pharmacist
    People nowadays like to worry about anything.

18. xscpx

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Honestly dude, get over your worry nonsense. No one wants to hear it. It's very easy to pretend you don't care when you have an acceptance letter in your hand.

Can a mod put a "silly filter" on 5minutes so all the ridiculous posts he makes just go away?:smuggrin::laugh:

As far as grades go, you should always try harder. But don't sweat it. Those are still good grades and as long as you tried your best , its nothing to be ashamed of. Hopefully you learned a bit about yourself and your study/learning style and there is nothing but improvement in your future. =D

19. PharmD321

PharmD321 SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Dude, are you kidding me?

I just got my grades too and had a 3.1 in my first semester but I only took 3 classes...so you are way ahead of me and we both have lots of time left....

So, don't worry, you had a great start and you already finished calc! you just need to take a chill pill, go with the flow, and keep up with your grades....I am sure you will make it in pharmacy school....

20. Kruton

Kruton Professionally Rad
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    This worries me as I am applying for early entry and if you don't keep above 3.5, you're out and there is no coming back. :eek:

21. THE MTL

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hey, dont worry ur GPA isnt that bad. Just a recommendation though. Choose an elective that is AN EASY "A". Make sure u do REALLY well in Biology. Btw, are u going the 2+4 route to pharmacy or getting ur degree first. Because if u are going 2+4 route then u should have taken Biology this semester too.

22. WannabePharm88

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    You need to stop posting this kind of posts.
    You got an acceptance letter that's why you don't worry about this.

23. WhiteSnows

Pharmacist
    Agree, people worry about everything. I have learned a lesson that worry won't serve any good. I used to spend so much time in worrying about what happened in stead of concentrating on what needed to be done. I have lost many opportunities to get thing right because of that. If you do not want to hear bitterness advice, just ignore my posts.

#22 WhiteSnows, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  24. WannabePharm88

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Sorry that I was being harsh.
    But, people worry so much about GPA. It just bothers me on this forum. Just worry and whine about it to parents or friends...

25. xscpx

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    How about you just stop posting them? No one wants to read your nonsense. It is not at all helpful to anyone. So stop being judgmental. As I said before, it's easy not to worry when you have an acceptance letter.

26. WhiteSnows

Pharmacist
    I did not worry even before I apply this year. Things needed to be done, I do it. Everything goes easy when you live in a worry-free living. You will see how happy you are to get things done.

I just give advice, and my advice is not only mine, it's written in many books of successul millionaires. You can check out " How to stop worrying and start living of Dale Carnagies". I did not create one, but I talk in my own experience of what I have learned.

One of the reasons I got in 3 schools this year is because I have reduced the habit of worrying about everything. I felt confident, energize, happy, enjoy doing. In my interview at Nova, students who went before me they looked so worry, and nervous before and after the interview. I am not sure if they got in. In my turn, I keep telling myself that I am fine, just be confident, and I did feel that way. What a nice moment that I had with Interviewers. My mind went smoothly, things that I planned to say were mentioned. There were more good things that popped up in my head. I got in after 3 weeks. Woot! :D Worry-free. What a beautiful life.