Freshman GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mwz1024

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this a stupid and tiring subject...but is a 3.5Gpa a good start after your freshman year....i finished bio, chem and calc...just wondering cuz i need some relief.

In Hoc

Members don't see this ad.

It's a fine start. Work on A's for your upper level classes. Your only limit is your own ambition. No need to get worried over a 3.5 as a Freshman!!:laugh:

Just enjoy yourself, continue to do well, and don't get all stressed out cus you'll have plenty of time for that later!

I got a 3.0 first semester, bumped it up to 3.5 by the end of freshman year. I got a C+ in calculus, and B's in both Gen Chems. And 5 acceptances to med school.

Chill. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
:rolleyes: It could be worse......3.5 is awesome of course a higher gpa wouldn't hurt so keep up the good work!

How about a 3.2? :D

3.5 is higher than the average acceptance. Definitely nothing to worry about. Nor is a 3.2. Med schools DO look at trends and realize that a smooth transition from high school to college does not always happen for a variety of reasons. Get an upward trend going on and you will be in good shape.

First of all, calm down, and give yourself a pat on the back. 3.5 is a fine start. Next, start thinking about the pursuit of medicine as a journey, not one to be achieved or denied by one victory, nor by one defeat. So many things play into getting into medical school and becoming a good doctor. I know, tough to do when you are a Freshman, and everyone tells you that you need to be Albert Einstein to be a doctor. Not so, work hard, have fun, live life, and be diverse. The last thing a med school adcom will want to see is someone who worried about a 0.1 GPA boost, but spent all their time tucked away in the corner of the library, leave that for your M1 year. Keep up the good work, treat yourself to a celebration drink or something.

Hey dude, you've got an excellent start. Don't think for one minute that your GPA's bad...you want bad, check mine out...first semester 2.5 second semester is coming up at the end of May...

All i have to contribute is my personal experience.

Freshman year, 2.95
By junior year, i brought it up to a 3.6

Post app. cycle (for entering class 2003), got 15/16 secondarys, filled out 8 of them, got 6 interview offers, went to 4 of them, 3 acceptances and one waitlist.

In other words, don't sweat the small stuff.

Joe