1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Freshman grades...can i still get in to dental school with this

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by drsuya, Dec 8, 2008.

1. drsuya

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Dental
    I used to be student with a 3. 8 gpa in high school ...now im a failin fresman..but know i am so frustrated..i might be getting a D in biology and precalculus. I have an A's and Bs in my other classes this semester. I know the mistakes i mad this semester and i know how to take care of them. do you still think I can get into dental school if i get all A's next semester and onwards?..Im really depressed because going to dental school has been my life long dream
    please help me im really worried

2. ZenoVT

ZenoVT Power Ranger
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You are only a freshmen, you have plenty of time to pull up your grades. So start now.

3. Plopper

Plopper "This too will pass"
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    well, if you have a D in biology, that's a pre-requisite, so you will have to retake that (most school won't accept less than a C, but get an A)

make sure for the remainder of the pre-requisites you try to get some sort of an A, and in your other classes i would try to receive A's too but B+'s aren't bad either.

Getting good grades will REALLY help when you apply for dental school, its the best thing i ever did. You're still a freshman, but start to get your act together, it's only a few years away and the time fly's by

4. BrushYourTooth

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I had a 2.1 overall gpa after my first year (1.5 the second semester of that year), and just got into d-skool. Nail your orgos and your physics' and repeat your bio and do not settle for less than an A. I by no means had a 4.0 after that year - it was more like a 3.5 if you isolated my soph and jr years, but i did better in my science classes than non science. Aim for a 4.0. You dont want to mess with things like reapplying and post bac programs because of grades. I was really lucky to get in this year, i almost didnt apply. Also, for myself as an applicant with subpar grades, it was essential for me to score a high DAT in order to be invited to interviews.

Also, next semester don't load up on your cousre schedule. Take no more than two sciences, and take another class that you will really enjoy, no matter what it is and whether you need it or not. Get stellar grades and you'll have some steam to propell yourself into your sophomore year. Don't do what I did - after my first semester, i got a 2.9 and said that i was going to do better, and then got a 1.5. Commit to your school stuff, and if you are a dude, stay away from girls, parties, and substances (if these are already non-issues for you then you are in good shape and sorry for the reiteration). You are bound to get a 4.0. You can do it!

#4 BrushYourTooth, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  5. DentalRocks09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hey ur still alright buddy..dont stress..u dont have to be a perfect student..u have plenty of time and u dont necessarily need As to get in...just do ur best and ull be fine...