• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Freshman having doubts, opinions?

Matt2194

Nov 1, 2012
    Hello,
    Since middle school I have thought I wanted to go to medical school and be a doctor. I did well in sciences through high school, enjoyed them, and got into a good school. I'm now a freshman biochemistry major.
    Problem is, I've only been here two months and am already having serious doubts. Although the end product (being some sort of doctor) is something I could really see myself enjoying, I really don't think I am going to be happy the next 10-12 years. After half the semester, I don't see myself being the person who doesn't mind all that time in school. I'm not sure I'm committed enough to spend that much time in school.

Are doubts like this normal, or should I consider doing something else?
    I've recently been thinking about physical therapy because I tend to really like anatomy, more than I do bio.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Double A

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Dec 25, 2008
    1. Medical Student
      it's definitely normal to have doubts, but don't try too hard to convince yourself either way. you need to sit down and really think about what you want to do with your life. there are so many careers to choose from in science and healthcare.

if it's just length of schooling that you're concerned about then you need to find a career that you can start straight out of college. engineering is the first thing that comes to mind.

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
      7+ Year Member
      Apr 21, 2012
      1. Medical Student
        Hello,
        Since middle school I have thought I wanted to go to medical school and be a doctor. I did well in sciences through high school, enjoyed them, and got into a good school. I'm now a freshman biochemistry major.
        Problem is, I've only been here two months and am already having serious doubts. Although the end product (being some sort of doctor) is something I could really see myself enjoying, I really don't think I am going to be happy the next 10-12 years. After half the semester, I don't see myself being the person who doesn't mind all that time in school. I'm not sure I'm committed enough to spend that much time in school.

I've recently been thinking about physical therapy because I tend to really like anatomy, more than I do bio.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Come on, you're only a freshman. Why are you having doubts already? I'm in the same spot as you (had early dreams of becoming a doctor; freshman currently). It's way too early to tell yet. Do some shadowing and get some clinical exposure to see if you like it or not. If you don't, then you don't.

It's also perfectly normal to be miserable on the path to becoming a doctor. Clinical years (M3) and residency are going to make sure of that. It's the goal that you're focusing on.

About the Ads
        Come on, you're only a freshman. Why are you having doubts already? I'm in the same spot as you (had early dreams of becoming a doctor; freshman currently). It's way too early to tell yet. Do some shadowing and get some clinical exposure to see if you like it or not. If you don't, then you don't.

It's also perfectly normal to be miserable on the path to becoming a doctor. Clinical years (M3) and residency are going to make sure of that. It's the goal that you're focusing on.

What exactly do attendings in clinical years and residencies benefit by seeing medical students suffer?

cheechootrain

Sep 12, 2012
          Well, almost 75% of Freshman premeds, after taking science courses, change their major. It's not unusual, but it does weed out the people who don't have the drive or ability to pursue a career as a physician. But if you really want this, then don't listen to anyone!

ribbondino

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!
          5+ Year Member
          Oct 24, 2011
          South Boston
            Overthinking is actually a bad thing. If you enjoy your courses and what you are studying, then the schooling won't be too much for you. However, if you sit in orgo staring out the window wishing you were dead so you wouldn't have to go to biochem, you should probably try out different classes. Use your electives to experience other things. Maybe you will find that you really like writing or that you want to spend your life doing research.

I think, from what I hear anyway, that it's normal to dread and be uncertain about medical school. I was like that for most of my first two semesters. This semester I decided to change my major to fine arts (which I also enjoy) and after about four weeks I was absolutely sure that I wanted to go back to biology and physiology.

Most doctors will tell you that med school was a bitch, they wouldn't redo it, blah blah... but everything you learn is important and will help you in your career. Have you done any shadowing or volunteering? I shadowed a few days for 9 hours a day for surgery, getting up at 6 am and barely being awake all day, not really eating lunch and going home and crashing. Those were the best few days EVER.

I ranted too much here... but the point I'm trying to make is, if you really love something the amount of schooling/lack of sleep/stress will seem worth it. And remember, you don't have to decide anything yet!!!

earf

5+ Year Member
            Oct 13, 2011
            1. Medical Student
              I disagree with those who say "just sit down and think really hard and you'll find your answer." I am a staunch believer in finding your passion by doing something productive. Go shadow some doctors, dentists, pharmacists, social workers, heck even policemen. See what type of career or lifestyle will give you the motivation you need to enjoy your work. Volunteer in a hospital. Do some service work. There are a ton of things that can give you motivation or give you clarity on what the career actually means.

ChartaBona

MD Class of 2017
              5+ Year Member
              Jun 21, 2010
              1. Medical Student
                Hello,

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Just curious. Why did you decide on biochemistry? Was it because you wanted to, or because you felt you HAD to major in it or something similar.

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.