freshman in pre-med Biochemistry overwhelmed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heinzmoleman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pretty much title says it all, im going to a big research university and in lectures im just feeling overwhelmed with things i need to memorize and future assignments i was really good in high school chem and it just seems really different here and i just dont know im a bio chem major this is supposed to be my forte. and on top of all of this i have to hold down my job as a part time mechanic. can someone please tell me if it gets any easier and that this is just a weed out process or is it all about adjusting?

Members don't see this ad.

How are you in biochem? You've taken gen chem and orgo?

Why in hell would a freshman be taking a biochem class?

Big mistake to be in a big hurry. First semester freshman year should be for easing into the college life, not taking upper level sci - to do what? - to prove to med schools how ready you were as a freshman? Gee, I guess that didn't work out the way you planned...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am also wondering how you were able to get into a biochemistry course as a freshman. High school chem alone should not be the only preparation before biochemistry. How did your advisor let you get away with it? And just because you are planning on majoring in biochemistry does NOT mean you have to take it first.

Drop it, what are you doing there. Are you trying to prove something?

I'm currently in biochemistry and our biochemistry is heavily mechanistically-based. I have NO IDEA how someone would be able to learn the significance of all of the biological material we are learning while also trying to learn the very basics of organic chemistry.

I suspect that your class isn't biochemistry, it may be general chemistry with a biological approach (you see how iron is in heme groups, etc). If you're in real biochemistry, that's a mistake.

i thought biochem requires you to take gen bio, gchem, and ochem. high school chem (or gchem in general) is very different than biochem.

I suspect that your class isn't biochemistry, it may be general chemistry with a biological approach (you see how iron is in heme groups, etc). If you're in real biochemistry, that's a mistake.

That might be the case. OP, what's the name of your course? I took a course titled Fundamentals of General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry at a community college in high school and it was hard after taking HS chem.

I think its redundant for everyone to tell him that he is making a mistake and should be slowing down.

So slow down buddy ol pal, you've got a lot of potential as a SDN freshman don't ruin it for yourself.

If I discovered SDN earlier in my schooling career I'd be a 4.040 beast

You are a noob. Use hax.

From what I gather, he is in gen chem and is a biochem major. I could be wrong though.

What are your study habits?

Find some study techniques that work for your. Re-write notes after class, find a quite place to study, find a group to study, talk to your professor or TA. There are lots of things out there for struggling students.

Also, some of the best things you can do have nothing to do with the class. Eat right, get some exercise, and get enough sleep.

Good Luck

I think its redundant for everyone to tell him that he is making a mistake and should be slowing down.

So slow down buddy ol pal, you've got a lot of potential as a SDN freshman don't ruin it for yourself.

If I discovered SDN earlier in my schooling career I'd be a 4.040 beast

this is so true. i wish i had stumbled across this site long ago. because it was a pain in the ass to pull my 2.7 up to 3.7*in 3 semester*. i don't know how i did it but **** was not easy.

Pretty much title says it all, im going to a big research university and in lectures im just feeling overwhelmed with things i need to memorize and future assignments i was really good in high school chem and it just seems really different here and i just dont know im a bio chem major this is supposed to be my forte. and on top of all of this i have to hold down my job as a part time mechanic. can someone please tell me if it gets any easier and that this is just a weed out process or is it all about adjusting?

Everyone takes the transition differently. I know a lot of people who felt overwhelmed by college, but I liked the freedom of it and did better. It depends on who you are and how you learn.

Also, it may turn out that biochem is not your forte. You should be honest with yourself... if after your freshman year you find that it isn't your passion and your skill, then look into your other interests.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not in bio but from what I've heard - in regards to the amount of material - no, it doesn't get easier. HOWEVER, it does get more interesting as you go on :)

and as for the "weeding out" part, yes, a lot of schools do this during the first 2 years (the one I'm at is sort of known to do it since we start out with way too many bio majors...something like 1/4 of the freshman are bio majors, or something crazy like that). But this is mostly in terms of grading/curve setting (they get more lenient with grading as time goes on), and doesn't affect the amount of material you have to learn.

Just take it easy, you're a freshman, you don't have to know EVERYTHING that's in lecture, just what's on the test ;)

Also, I agree with Exalya. If you don't like it, stop before it's too late. If you're absolutely set on bio, you can always do another bio major? My school has like 10 of them (pharmacology, neurobiology, etc). I would look into those. Most of the freshman year classes tend to be the same for those majors so you won't even be falling behind or anything :)

lol thanks for all the replies, and to those wondering no im not in a biochem class im not that crazy, im just in gen chem, evo bio, and phy. and some gen eds and its really not that its hard its just alot thrown at you in one lecture. i guess it is a transitional process and i really shouldnt be jumping the gun until i at least get the first exam and see how i did. also to those suggesting a change in major. I really cant, because biochemistry is the only major that will allow me to nail all my pre reqs for med school while still having a backup career and i truly do love science. Math not so much.

also to those suggesting a change in major. I really cant, because biochemistry is the only major that will allow me to nail all my pre reqs for med school while still having a backup career and i truly do love science.

This is really not true, but a common misconception. First, which biochem career are you thinking of? Most science careers require at least a masters. Next, you can still major in anything and do the pre-reqs for med school. Lastly, there are very few majors that directly prepare you for a career. Those that come to mind are business, engineering, nursing, etc. But that should not be your concern. Many people major in history or English and end up being very successful. College teaches you how to think, not how to get a job. Further, you should major in something because you like it, you will do better that way. College may be the only time in your life you have to study whatever you want, so go for it.

lol thanks for all the replies, and to those wondering no im not in a biochem class im not that crazy, im just in gen chem, evo bio, and phy. and some gen eds and its really not that its hard its just alot thrown at you in one lecture. i guess it is a transitional process and i really shouldnt be jumping the gun until i at least get the first exam and see how i did. also to those suggesting a change in major. I really cant, because biochemistry is the only major that will allow me to nail all my pre reqs for med school while still having a backup career and i truly do love science. Math not so much.

This is college. Just cause you got into college doesn't necessarily mean it's meant for you. That being said, it is easy to be overwhelmed, but get used to it and suck it up. If you aren't staying up till 4 a.m. every night studying then you aren't studying enough IMO. Every course is doable, people graduate with 4.0's and some of those people are biochem majors. No excuses, we were all freshman at one point and we all plan on getting into medical school some day. You should know that your teachers expect a certain level of effort into the classes you take (obviously a chem class requires more effort than a humanity and what not) and you as a college student have a duty to give that effort. Your grade will reflect how hard you study, there is nothing that a professor can teach you that you cannot learn yourself in a book. Get used to going over notes, reading through the textbook before the lecture so that the lecture is like review. If you stay on top of things you should never get overwhelmed. Study as much as you can and party like a rockstar on the weekends. Your gpa is all up to you. If you can't handle it, stop complaining and call it quits.

P.S. You can have a backup career in any major and still get ur pre-med requisites done.

I honestly was a crappy studier until I got to O Chem. That class, out of necessity, forced me to become a good student.

That being said, freshman year typically weeds out a ton of people. I'd say half were gone from the pre-med/pre-pharm program after the first year. A lot of people don't realize the work that actually goes with it.

That being said, and not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but you're saying this just a few weeks into your first semester. It will get a lot, lot worse lol

This is college. Just cause you got into college doesn't necessarily mean it's meant for you. That being said, it is easy to be overwhelmed, but get used to it and suck it up. If you aren't staying up till 4 a.m. every night studying then you aren't studying enough IMO. Every course is doable, people graduate with 4.0's and some of those people are biochem majors. No excuses, we were all freshman at one point and we all plan on getting into medical school some day. You should know that your teachers expect a certain level of effort into the classes you take (obviously a chem class requires more effort than a humanity and what not) and you as a college student have a duty to give that effort. Your grade will reflect how hard you study, there is nothing that a professor can teach you that you cannot learn yourself in a book. Get used to going over notes, reading through the textbook before the lecture so that the lecture is like review. If you stay on top of things you should never get overwhelmed. Study as much as you can and party like a rockstar on the weekends. Your gpa is all up to you. If you can't handle it, stop complaining and call it quits.

P.S. You can have a backup career in any major and still get ur pre-med requisites done.

Bad advice. I don't stay up till 4 am studying...and I am in med school. It would be suicide.

It does sound like you're just going to have to work harder than you're used to OP. You'll get used to it, and then they'll throw even more at you...faster. Just goes with the territory.

If you aren't staying up till 4 a.m. every night studying then you aren't studying enough IMO.

Quality over quantity. Work smart, not hard.

(obviously a chem class requires more effort than a humanity and what not) and you as a college student have a duty to give that effort.

Oh, your college is like this too? I know that at mine all the humanities profs conspire with the chem prof before each semester to make sure their classes aren't any harder.

OP, have you had any exams yet? A lot of the time the tests are designed so that a 65 or 70 is an A (depending on the class). So, learn as much as you can, and hope it's a little more than everybody else.

Man up and study. You'll be fine.

I'm doing essentially what you are and i dont find it overwhelming at all. much less so than high school. just get a good grasp on the syllabus and where your marks are coming from. There are a lot less assignments (at least at my school), make sure you read your textbooks, as long as you don't try to cram you should be fine. Take advantage of your professors assistance and be at ALL office hours asking questions.

Biochem is an easy major, IMO. At the undergrad level, at least. I started as a chem major with so many other chem majors, and by the end of it, more than half had converted over to biochem. Why? They were afraid of actual chem.

Biochem is an easy major, IMO. At the undergrad level, at least. I started as a chem major with so many other chem majors, and by the end of it, more than half had converted over to biochem. Why? They were afraid of actual chem.

Food, you went to UF. The only difference between a chemistry major and the biochemistry major is the physical chemistry sequence and instrumental analysis. Biochemistry majors still have to take biophysical chemistry. I really can't agree with you that UF's biochemistry major is an "easy major." I'm doing a math double major, so I've taken every math class a chemistry major needs plus a ton more (I didn't do the PHY2053/2054 w/o calc physics sequence either). Physical chemistry doesn't really appeal too much to me, so I'm glad I don't have to take a full year of it. Instrumental Analysis also sounds like the absolute most boring class which is why biochemistry, which allows you to take genetics and advanced biochemistry, was the better choice for me. I've been biochemistry since day one, btw.

By the way, how did you study for the MCAT? Did you do TPR or Kaplan here in Gainesville?

Food, you went to UF. The only difference between a chemistry major and the biochemistry major is the physical chemistry sequence and instrumental analysis. Biochemistry majors still have to take biophysical chemistry. I really can't agree with you that UF's biochemistry major is an "easy major." I'm doing a math double major, so I've taken every math class a chemistry major needs plus a ton more (I didn't do the PHY2053/2054 w/o calc physics sequence either). Physical chemistry doesn't really appeal too much to me, so I'm glad I don't have to take a full year of it. Instrumental Analysis also sounds like the absolute most boring class which is why biochemistry, which allows you to take genetics and advanced biochemistry, was the better choice for me. I've been biochemistry since day one, btw.

By the way, how did you study for the MCAT? Did you do TPR or Kaplan here in Gainesville?

Dammit - so much for anonymity. But back on topic -

Biophysical chem is an easy watered down version of actual topics. The P chem sequence in the chem major is actually somewhat on par with what I'd expect in upper level chem courses. All I'm saying is at the undergrad level, biochem courses (I took 3218 and 4304 - advanced biochem) are basically memorizing stuff. Don't even get me started on BCH4024 which is a laughable class - apparently there's rampant cheating in that class, and the professors don't really even care about it. 4311/4412 is what scares most chem people into switching to biochem. Why? Without 4311 (statistical mechanics) and 4412 (quantum mechanics) you aren't a qualified chemist in any regard. IMO. 3400 is a joke, seriously. There are microbios in there, c'mon.

Okay - perhaps it's not an "easy" major. I just think it's lame that so many chem people switch into biochem because it's easier. It's def. easier than pure chem.

And for MCAT I took Kaplan.

Dammit - so much for anonymity. But back on topic -

Biophysical chem is an easy watered down version of actual topics. The P chem sequence in the chem major is actually somewhat on par with what I'd expect in upper level chem courses. All I'm saying is at the undergrad level, biochem courses (I took 3218 and 4304 - advanced biochem) are basically memorizing stuff. Don't even get me started on BCH4024 which is a laughable class - apparently there's rampant cheating in that class, and the professors don't really even care about it. 4311/4412 is what scares most chem people into switching to biochem. Why? Without 4311 (statistical mechanics) and 4412 (quantum mechanics) you aren't a qualified chemist in any regard. IMO. 3400 is a joke, seriously. There are microbios in there, c'mon.

Okay - perhaps it's not an "easy" major. I just think it's lame that so many chem people switch into biochem because it's easier. It's def. easier than pure chem.

And for MCAT I took Kaplan.

3218 seems like a good class so far. I'm a bit worried about the tests, though.

Last edited:
I dunno too much about Hornstein's style.

Why in hell would a freshman be taking a biochem class?

Big mistake to be in a big hurry. First semester freshman year should be for easing into the college life, not taking upper level sci
I was wondering that, too. Maybe try to withdraw and lead up to biochem a little more. It's a tough course.

Its normal to feel a bit overwhelmed. When it comes to medical school I think its common for each class you take to be the most difficult class you've ever taken.

Hopefully you enjoy the challenge. In my opinion, meeting with the TA for the course early and working on some study strategies is key. You may just need to spend more time studying then you think you need.

Looking back I thought my freshman gen chem was pretty difficult.

most people take biochem in their soph year here but there are a lot of people who take biochem and organic freshman year.. mainly engineers and bio majors with ap credit.

i think you should drop the class and take it next year. no need to rush into biochem in your first semester.

Quality over quantity. Work smart, not hard.

Oh, your college is like this too? I know that at mine all the humanities profs conspire with the chem prof before each semester to make sure their classes aren't any harder.

OP, have you had any exams yet? A lot of the time the tests are designed so that a 65 or 70 is an A (depending on the class). So, learn as much as you can, and hope it's a little more than everybody else.

Oh, I'm so sorry for making a rational generalization and trying to help the OP. Next time I'll throw a "From my experiences" in front of it so that you understand where I'm coming from. And to be honest, if History of Rock n' Roll was harder than Chemistry I would have dropped out of college.

I'm also a biochemistry major, being interested in it tends to make it easier for me. But seeing the work some of the health science majors have to do makes me realize that biochemistry, compared to other majors, is one of the harder majors. At least at my school it is. Having to take Calc II stunk, that class is a GPA assassin at my university. And apparently some people find Engineering (calc-based) Physics really hard, as well as biochemistry in general. But as I said earlier, it is a very doable major.

I'm also a biochemistry major, being interested in it tends to make it easier for me. But seeing the work some of the health science majors have to do makes me realize that biochemistry, compared to other majors, is one of the harder majors. At least at my school it is. Having to take Calc II stunk, that class is a GPA assassin at my university. And apparently some people find Engineering (calc-based) Physics really hard, as well as biochemistry in general. But as I said earlier, it is a very doable major.

Physics I and Physics II are doable. Physics III is SUPER difficult. Even people who are REALLY good in both physics and calculus can only manage B-'s in that class.
And yes, Calc II is usually considered the hardest of the three. Especially if you have a professor who makes you memorize ALL the formulas, rules etc. etc. Sequences and series was a nightmare simply because I had to memorize all those stupid rules and formulas.

I took Calc II freshman year, so I slightly sympathize with the OP; however, there was literally nothing I could do. We had a class of 65, and ended with 18, I was top 5 in the class and I ended up with a 2.4 in the class. One got a 4.0, but he cheated and everyone knew it.

In my opinion, Calc II is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy harder than gen-chem. That being said I got a 4.0 in gen-chem so I may be biased.

To the OP: Just figure yourself out, and study hard. I wouldn't feel bad about doing bad on a test as long as you studied hard and did your best. If you make stupid mistakes learn how to fix them. Learn what works for you man, thats what is going to help you out the most in the future.

Don't do this OP.

If you aren't staying up till 4 a.m. every night studying then you aren't studying enough IMO.
Soooo...if you have to be up until 4 A.M. to keep up with a college workload, how are you going to cope when your workload quadruples in med school and you have more time in class (so less time during the day to study)? Something to think about.

uh, yeah I hope oaklandguy is exaggerating.

What kind of science courses have you been taking? All I've mine have been straight grading, no curves.

Not all of my courses are like this. Gen Chem was but Physics has no curve. I'm not really sure why, but in Gen Chem the mean on tests was 40 +/- 12 or so, so having a 60 / 70 as an A was actually pretty "fair" (the tests were designed to be really, really difficult because the teacher wanted to make sure that "every level of intellect gets challenged").

oaklandguy said:
Oh, I'm so sorry for making a rational generalization and trying to help the OP.

It's a generalization: I'll give you that.

I felt overwhelmed too because I also work part time. My solution was to drop down to 12-13 credits a semester and plan on doing a 5th year of college. It kind of sucks having to pay another year of tuition, but it's better than getting straight Cs giving myself a stomach ulcer from the courseload stress.

giving myself a stomach ulcer from the courseload stress.

it's pretty well known now that stomach ulcers aren't caused by stress, they're caused by h. pylori. somebody a few years ago won the nobel prize by proving it. :D

Stress can lead to reflux. Most ulcers are caused by H. pylori, but not all of them. Also, if you already have an ulcer, stress can make them hurt worse or just worse in general. If I recall, why stress makes ulcers worse isn't understood. Just FYI.

Last edited:

lol

welcome to college. this is the typical work load. do yourself a favor and dont be a typical pre-med who exaggerates the amount of work they're doing when they really spending hours every day on facebook and other distractions.

you're taking 3 science courses which should be a decent amount of work

if you feel like you cant cover all the material in time for exams, then you need to study better.

also don't wait until your first exam to see how you're doing. If you dont feel like you're keeping up with the material, you'll bomb all 3 exams lol.

That being said, it is easy to be overwhelmed, but get used to it and suck it up. If you aren't staying up till 4 a.m. every night studying then you aren't studying enough IMO.

No.

If you're up till 4am studying every night in UNDERGRAD then you do not have the natural ability/intelligence it takes to suceed in medical school. Hard work can only get you so far.

it's pretty well known now that stomach ulcers aren't caused by stress, they're caused by h. pylori. somebody a few years ago won the nobel prize by proving it. :D

MilkMan Al is correct. I believe the link between stress and ulcers is due to the stress-induced release of histamine and stimulation of parietal cells. Also, asprin can cause gastric ulcers.

If you're up till 4am studying every night in UNDERGRAD then you do not have the natural ability/intelligence it takes to suceed in medical school. Hard work can only get you so far.
I was trying to be nice about it but yeah, that's partially what I was getting at. That, or you study ridiculously inefficiently or a combination of both.

No.

So because one chooses to work hard they don't have natural ability? I find your statement humorous. Your GPA shows how hard you work, not your natural intellect, the MCAT is supposed to show intelligence. You can be the smartest person in the world, if you don't study for classes such as orgo and anatomy and what not you won't get the grades to show for your intelligence.

I personally am under too much stress the nights before exams to sleep, so I spend it studying. You are trying to convince me that studying for 3 hours is just as good as studying for 8 hours? Thats up to you, if you don't want to study more than the other kids in the class thats fine, just know that you will be studying constantly in medical school and I know many med students who stay up long hours studying.

Soooo...if you have to be up until 4 A.M. to keep up with a college workload, how are you going to cope when your workload quadruples in med school and you have more time in class (so less time during the day to study)? Something to think about.

Study on nights that I spend partying in undergrad?

No one said you have to be up till 4 a.m. to keep up. Keeping up and setting the curve are completely different things. Besides I'm up till 4 a.m. anyways, might as well spend it studying.

I seriously can't be the only person on here who pulls all-nighters?

So because one chooses to work hard they don't have natural ability? I find your statement humorous. Your GPA shows how hard you work, not your natural intellect, the MCAT is supposed to show intelligence. You can be the smartest person in the world, if you don't study for classes such as orgo and anatomy and what not you won't get the grades to show for your intelligence.

I personally am under too much stress the nights before exams to sleep, so I spend it studying. You are trying to convince me that studying for 3 hours is just as good as studying for 8 hours? Thats up to you, if you don't want to study more than the other kids in the class thats fine, just know that you will be studying constantly in medical school and I know many med students who stay up long hours studying.

Check the status. I am a med student. I'm aware of the amount of studying we do. :rolleyes:

The MCAT does not show intelligence. It provides a scale to weed through med school applicants based on critical reasoning skills and narrow knowledge of the fields of chem, orgo chem, bio, physics, and verbal reasoning.

If UNDERGRAD stresses a person out to the point of insomnia, then I'd be afraid for that person's mental health during medical school. How does one have the time to date or party or have any type of social life with that "study till 4am" schedule?

The same amount/quality of studying for undergrad does not work for medical school. You will require much more work to succeed. How much more work can one give if that person is already giving 110% at a much lower level?

If a person is struggling to succeed in undergrad (as evidenced by the hours previously stated), then he/she does not have the natural intelligence required to assimilate the large amount of information that is thrown at med students.

We go through the equivalent of a semester's worth of classes in 2-3 weeks. (It's like studying for and taking a different MCAT every few weeks.) It requires natural ability PLUS hard work.