Coursework & Fieldwork Freshman in undergrad worrying about OT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SadandHopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I'm a freshman at Boston University, majoring in Behavior and Health, which is a program designed to prepare one for OT school. My first semester went very well, got A's and A-'s in Developmental Psych, Statistics, and Biology, and a 3.85 GPA overall. However, this semester has really taken a turn for the worst.

I've struggled intensely in anatomy. I currently have an 82 in the class, with an 80 and lab and an 84 in lecture. To squeeze by with a B, I need to get an 88< on my final this Wednesday, and I really don't see that happening. I have put so, so, so much effort into this course. I was at lab constantly, yet I never performed well on the exams. I feel so depressed and hopeless because of this course, and the prospect of having to retake it is just terrifying to me. I know that OT school is intense in anatomy, so should I just switch my major now? I really don't know what to do, I'm terrified of getting a B- in this course or a C+. What's worse is next semester I have to take physiology, basically anatomy but harder. I'm terrified I'll do equally as bad in that course. I'm just so scared and upset with myself right now, I've put my all into this class and all my peers seem to be outperforming me. I just don't want to fail to get into any OT schools, and end up with a $40K/year job on top of all my loans. What should I do? Advice please??

Thank you.

P.S Not to mention, I've had a lot of issues in my personal life this semester. A month ago my friend took his life, and last week my other friend attempted to and was hospitalized. Its been a very rough couple of months, on top of anatomy.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
retake the class if you are not happy with your grade. many folks do it, me included and i'm finishing up my first year of ot skool. don't fret you have your whole life ahead of you.

Reactions: 1 user
@leebabysimms What did you originally receive in the class, and what did you bring it up to? Did you retake it at the same school? What OT school were you accepted into?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seconding @leebabysimms. My university combined anatomy & phys lecture + labs into two consecutive sections. I got a solid B in the first part and a solid C in my second section (I was also going through some life issues/changes and didn't know how to handle both school and life at that point). I knew that C would screw me over so I retook it at a local community college that also had combined anat/phys sections, work my absolute ASS off and got an A. Many people retake pre-req courses for that better grade and it works out. I'm going to OT school this summer (I actually had my pick of schools!) and I really believe retaking that course was for the best.

Edit: Also, BU is a huge university and I'm sure they have resources for you to utilize in order to help you study and understand the material better. Communicate to your professor everything in the material that you are having issues with. Take advantage of everything that's available-- you're paying for it after all. I understand your final is on Wednesday but if you have the time, I don't think it would hurt to at least try.

No matter what happens after Wednesday though, you'll be fine. Like he said, you have your whole life ahead of you. You can get a lot done in your next 3-4 years of undergrad. Overall, if you are dissatisfied with your grade, retake the course at a community college for waaay less money than BU tuition. Just try to remember that just because life doesn't go the way you expect it to, that doesn't mean it's the wrong way.

Last edited:
Seconding @leebabysimms. My university combined anatomy & phys lecture + labs into two consecutive sections. I got a solid B in the first part and a solid C in my second section (I was also going through some life issues/changes and didn't know how to handle both school and life at that point). I knew that C would screw me over so I retook it at a local community college that also had combined anat/phys sections, work my absolute ASS off and got an A. Many people retake pre-req courses for that better grade and it works out. I'm going to OT school this summer (I actually had my pick of schools!) and I really believe retaking that course was for the best.

Edit: Also, BU is a huge university and I'm sure they have resources for you to utilize in order to help you study and understand the material better. Communicate to your professor everything in the material that you are having issues with. Take advantage of everything that's available-- you're paying for it after all. I understand your final is on Wednesday but if you have the time, I don't think it would hurt to at least try.

No matter what happens after Wednesday though, you'll be fine. Like he said, you have your whole life ahead of you. You can get a lot done in your next 3-4 years of undergrad. Overall, if you are dissatisfied with your grade, retake the course at a community college for waaay less money than BU tuition. Just try to remember that just because life doesn't go the way you expect it to, that doesn't mean it's the wrong way.

The thing is, I did utilize alllllllll those resources, had private tutoring sessions and everything. Its kind of pathetic when I think about how hard I've tried and how poorly I'm doing...

Retake it if you cant get a B. Wouldnt change my major. Retakes are no biggie to some programs.

Anatomy only gets harder as you progress (depends on school).

Hi,

So I'm a freshman at Boston University, majoring in Behavior and Health, which is a program designed to prepare one for OT school. My first semester went very well, got A's and A-'s in Developmental Psych, Statistics, and Biology, and a 3.85 GPA overall. However, this semester has really taken a turn for the worst.

I've struggled intensely in anatomy. I currently have an 82 in the class, with an 80 and lab and an 84 in lecture. To squeeze by with a B, I need to get an 88< on my final this Wednesday, and I really don't see that happening. I have put so, so, so much effort into this course. I was at lab constantly, yet I never performed well on the exams. I feel so depressed and hopeless because of this course, and the prospect of having to retake it is just terrifying to me. I know that OT school is intense in anatomy, so should I just switch my major now? I really don't know what to do, I'm terrified of getting a B- in this course or a C+. What's worse is next semester I have to take physiology, basically anatomy but harder. I'm terrified I'll do equally as bad in that course. I'm just so scared and upset with myself right now, I've put my all into this class and all my peers seem to be outperforming me. I just don't want to fail to get into any OT schools, and end up with a $40K/year job on top of all my loans. What should I do? Advice please??

Thank you.

P.S Not to mention, I've had a lot of issues in my personal life this semester. A month ago my friend took his life, and last week my other friend attempted to and was hospitalized. Its been a very rough couple of months, on top of anatomy.
Retake anatomy at a community college at some point. Whether it's over the summer or after you graduate...there's no rush, so it's whenever you're ready to retake it! Don't stress about it. Manyyy people need to retake courses and it seems to be no big deal to these OT schools. I retook a couple courses to get higher grades (and did the retakes at random community colleges) and I wound up having a large selection of OT school acceptances and will be starting school soon! So it clearly wasn't an issue at all and you shouldn't stress. Don't let one course deter you from doing well. Keep your major if you enjoy it and just keep working hard. You have plenty of time to get As in other prereqs and you have plenty of time to retake courses if you need to. Enjoy your time in college and don't worry because it goes by too fast!

The thing is, I did utilize alllllllll those resources, had private tutoring sessions and everything. Its kind of pathetic when I think about how hard I've tried and how poorly I'm doing...

Hey! It's not pathetic. We all have areas where we struggle with. I had to read my chemistry textbook (yes, I read a textbook about chemistry and it was awful and boring) along with my class notes and twice a week tutoring sessions in order to scrape by with a B and I am very proud of that. You should be proud of how hard you're working because it shows that you care and you're willing to put the time and effort in. There's no need to be ashamed by what's happening.

You're currently getting a B right now-- could you imagine what your grade will be like if you decide to retake it without a bunch of life pressures getting in the way? You're doing pretty well right now given what's been happening in your life. Next time around, you'll be able to tackle anatomy with some prior knowledge of the material along with your hard work. This course will be a learning experience for you just as my first C was for me. I had to adjust my studying habits to cater to the course and in the end I learned how to be more flexible and adaptable.

You'll be fine. Plenty of people retake classes. There's nothing to be ashamed about. **** happens in life and you find a way to roll with the punches. You're not alone in finding anatomy/physiology difficult. I know quite a few people who have had to retake it and they did great the second time around.

Reactions: 1 users

Do you have someone you can talk to about this? (Even close friends/parents. Or a counselor.) I think this would be very traumatizing for me. To me, it would be no surprise if you were having a hard time. The rest of your post you sound pretty down on yourself. I second what everyone says about not being afraid to retake a class. Sometimes things can feel out of proportion stress-wise when you're in a weird state of mind. (Which I hope doesn't sound like I'm discounting your worries about school.) So I hope you have others you can reach out to for not just academic but also emotional support.

I would also like to add.. it ain't over 'til it's over. You still have the test to take. Worry about retaking a whole class *after* you know what you're dealing with. Maybe you'll get an A. Maybe you won't. The point being, you'll have options. And you're not doomed one way or the other. If being pre-OT or pre-health seems like it's sucking the life out of you by next year, you still have time to switch majors even. And you're young enough (it seems like) to explore options both inside the health field and outside. And it sounds like you're hardworking, so that's half the battle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@thebiggestsky

I just feel like such a failure. To retake the course at my local community college, it would cost $720. $720. All I had to do was not be an incompetent idiot for the past three months to save $720. I don't have that kind of money just laying around, and I can't make my parents pay for it, I just can't even ask them to do that. I don't know what to do, all I've wanted to be since I was an OT. I don't have any other dreams. I can't major in business because I suck at math. I'm so scared about how my life's going to turn out now. I'm scared of watching all my peers go on to be successful OTs without me. I feel so lost and hopeless. Sorry, just ranting.

It sounds like you need to focus on healing and processing the traumatic events that have recently occurred. You're so young, and you have plenty of time to prepare for OT school, but if you don't take time to heal, it could hurt you in the long run. Will you be taking summer classes? If not, it might be a good thing. Readdress A&P when you're ready. You're not stupid or incompetent. You're human, and you're having a rough time. I wish you strength and good luck!

It sounds like you need to focus on healing and processing the traumatic events that have recently occurred. You're so young, and you have plenty of time to prepare for OT school, but if you don't take time to heal, it could hurt you in the long run. Will you be taking summer classes? If not, it might be a good thing. Readdress A&P when you're ready. You're not stupid or incompetent. You're human, and you're having a rough time. I wish you strength and good luck!

You think it would be a good thing for me to take summer classes? I feel like it would be too late to register for anatomy at my community college

make life easy and transfer to a school that does a combined BS/MS. biggest regret of my academic life.

but my real answer is that you'll be fine. I actually found physio easier bc I knew what to expect. don't put too much pressure on yourself. do your best and know it's not the end of the world. you'll figure it out.

You think it would be a good thing for me to take summer classes? I feel like it would be too late to register for anatomy at my community college

Sorry if that wasn't clear. I meant it might be a good thing if you are not taking a summer class.

Hi,

Thank you.

I don't think you should change your major at all! If you were getting an F in Anatomy, that'd be a different story. Your GPA is awesome so far and if you don't get the grade you want, retake the course. If you still don't get an A, just strengthen your application in other ways! I had a meeting at OSU about admissions last week and I learned there is so much more to a successful applicant than one grade. Good luck. Don't give up!

Also, I took Anatomy and Physiology 2 in a summer session. I thought it was so much better than when I took the regular-semester length A&P 1. However, I was motivated by the fast pace, so I'm sure it's not for everyone.

Ugh, I just feel so defeated. I sacrificed so much for this class; I hardly had a social life this semester. I feel distant and cold towards everyone just because I'm so upset over this one freaking class. But to be fair, it matters a lot. Now I probably have to retake it, and god knows if I'll do any better. I'll have to be around the same lab instructor again, so humiliating. And now I have to move on to physiology, and what if I suck at that too? I just feel so scared for my life right now. I don't even know what I could have done differently...I studied so much, took notes after every single lecture, was at lab as much as I could be, had private tutoring sessions.....I just don't know what else to do

Like others have said, everything will be ok and you will figure this out (even though it doesn't seem like it now). There are lots of bumps in the road that we all face during undergrad, and unfortunately for you it seems like everything piled up at once. Do not let this defeat you, and do not give up hope! If you do end up doing poorly, definitely retake the class and do not be ashamed! You will 1000% do better when you retake it as long as you go into the class having confidence in yourself and your abilities. Professors and graduate admissions don't look down on retakes, they like to see that you improved and didn't just throw in the towel..it shows determination and that you are a truly committed individual. Just to throw some perspective, I have a friend starting attending the OT program at MGHIHP and she retook a bio class at her community college because she got a C at our University. Keep your head up high and have confidence that you will get through this. I wish you nothing but the best.

Like others have said, everything will be ok and you will figure this out (even though it doesn't seem like it now). There are lots of bumps in the road that we all face during undergrad, and unfortunately for you it seems like everything piled up at once. Do not let this defeat you, and do not give up hope! If you do end up doing poorly, definitely retake the class and do not be ashamed! You will 1000% do better when you retake it as long as you go into the class having confidence in yourself and your abilities. Professors and graduate admissions don't look down on retakes, they like to see that you improved and didn't just throw in the towel..it shows determination and that you are a truly committed individual. Just to throw some perspective, I have a friend starting attending the OT program at MGHIHP and she retook a bio class at her community college because she got a C at our University. Keep your head up high and have confidence that you will get through this. I wish you nothing but the best.

Thank you so so so much. I kind regret making that post because its so self-depricating, but still thank you for the encouragement. And yeah, everything did kind pile up at once...all within a month. Hopefully things get easier. Good luck to you as well.

You're only a freshman- there are lots of potential for growth as your gpa is relatively easy to boost. I would consider sidereal retaking it if you get a C but that should be your priority. You can plan ahead and set your self up for optimal success. Anatomy is a hard class- I retook it too many times. I applaud you for tasking it on as a freshman.

I GOT A B!!!!! PRAISE GOD LIFE IS GOOD HALLELUJAH

Reactions: 5 users