Freshman - should I start studying DAT now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yubjun

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a freshman in stonybrook on pre-dental path.

Should I start studying DAT now? If so, what do you suggest I start off with?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I assume you haven't taken organic or even finished bio and chem since you are still a freshman. On that note it will be hard to study everything and in fact quite ridiculous-- you dont need 2 years to study.
What you should realize is that by learning this stuff really well now, then when you study for your DAT it will be a review. Dont think that when you finish gen chem your done with it because you need to remember it all later. My best advice to you is focus on really learning the stuff well now the first time around. The better you know it now the easier it will be for you later.

are you serious?? Instead of studying for DAT right now, just learn the material ur gona be taking in the next four years. Dont just study them for that one exam. LEARN the stuff...e.i know how the voltage gated channels work in muscle contraction, rather than just remembering that they are involved in it, this way you wont end up forgeting them after you take your test. You do this, not only ur GPA will be up, you also would have studied and absorbed the material for your DAT, and when the time comes to stud for the DAT you can just quickly glance over the sections you learned in your earlier years and focus on the sections which you have never taken a class in like math and PAT. Thats my personal view. Cause i personally just learned the stuff for that one test in my lecture. I did not absorbed them. Now when i study for my DAT, im like "oooohh yeh, i remember the term transesterification but did it mean and then i have to look it up. My advice applies to classes like gchem, ochem 1 and 2, anatomy, microbio, physiology and oh yea lets not forget evolutionary bio. So start studying for da DAT ur freshman year by ABSORBING the lectures, cause after the material you can always gain back by learning but the time :( flies by.

Wish you all the best, and I hope one day we both are fixing peoples cavities and putting on Lava Crowns.

...and make sure you have fun your first two years though!

If you're really aggressive, I'd suggest buying the Examcrackers MCAT books - they're way basic but they really emphasize the main themes that you'll be learning in all of your classes. I don't know what Stonybrook is like, but I go to a huge university where it's hard to get a good explanation of pretty much anything you learn. The examcrackers books won't teach you anything new, but they'll definitely highlight the main mental connections that you should be making.

Members don't see this ad :)
advice from my experience:

shooting for As in the pre-reqs = DAT studying
also, taking physiology really helps for the bio section.
search the forums for other non pre-req classes that others found helpful.

have fun/build relationships on the weekends/tuesday nights/summer/etc

for DAT studying wait till you are a jr. and it's spring break... and your friends have migrated south towards the sun... and you are in the library.... and consider posting on sdn a "study break"

advice from my experience:

shooting for As in the pre-reqs = DAT studying
also, taking physiology really helps for the bio section.
search the forums for other non pre-req classes that others found helpful.

have fun/build relationships on the weekends/tuesday nights/summer/etc

for DAT studying wait till you are a jr. and it's spring break... and your friends have migrated south towards the sun... and you are in the library.... and consider posting on sdn a "study break"

Quoted for truth.

The most helpful advice is to do every single problem at the end of each chapter in general bio and chem to prepare. Every problem. Ask your professor if you are having difficulty with problems that haven't been assigned and they will love you for your enthusiasm.

NOOOOO.... don't worry about it
Seriously no reason to bother with material you will have to study on your own.
:):):)

even if you began studying the material now by the time you take the DAT in 3-4 years everything will be lost and you will have to restudy anyway. Just work on getting those As and when the time comes hopefully studying will be mostly review.

Well, there is a possibility that you will be taking the DAT after your sophomore year so that isn't so far away.

Seriously? Anyway, probably not a good idea to start if you haven't learned most the science materials you need to know for the DAT. You can start to practice for gchem after you are done with your Gchem series. For Bio, you probably won't get to touch every single topics until your late sophomore or junior year. Biology contains so much materials to study and anything that is somewhat bio related is a fair game. It includes general bio, physiology, some basic anatomy, biochem, plant bio, microbiology, immunology, genetics etc....But don't freak out, you are actually studying for the DAT when you are taking these courses. You just have to review and practice before taking the DAT. For now, you should just focus on doing well in school.

Just do the all the problems in the text book. It will get you an A in the course and will help all the information stay in your head. Some of the problems will also help develop your critical thinking skills, which is what most bio DAT sections are all about.

Just do the all the problems in the text book. It will get you an A in the course and will help all the information stay in your head. Some of the problems will also help develop your critical thinking skills, which is what most bio DAT sections are all about.

Don't just do them to do them though. Do them with the intent of UNDERSTANDING the WHY of everything. If you can't figure it out ask your teacher. This works two fold. You get the answer and you talk to the teacher...there in laying the foundation of a letter of reccomendation in the years to come if you keep the relationship up.

go join an intermural team, go camping, crochet something, get wasted and pass out in your dorm floor lobby, throw a frissbee, read a book NOT pertaining to class, take a hike, build a ship-in-a-bottle, go live life, but for the love of all that is holy - DO NOT STUDY FOR THAT RETCHED TEST!!...you are only a freshmen. you only have one life, so live it!!

WORK HARD, PLAY HARD MY FRIEND - and the rest will follow :D:cool::D:cool::D

amen, yes live it up now while you can, soon with the burden of classes and midterms and finals you will have no time for anything...well for me at least...but i enjoy being an overacheiver graduating in 3 years coming in with little AP credit, taking 20+ hours/semester and taking the DAT in 16 hours...though i'd imagine if you do 4 years you'd have plenty of time to do whatever you'd like.

And starting on day one planning out your 4 years is not a good idea, especially if you decide not to go down the path you intended, then you willl have wasted all that time you spent preparing for the DAT when you could have enjoyed the outdoors

Don't just do them to do them though. Do them with the intent of UNDERSTANDING the WHY of everything. If you can't figure it out ask your teacher. This works two fold. You get the answer and you talk to the teacher...there in laying the foundation of a letter of reccomendation in the years to come if you keep the relationship up.
Of course.