1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Freshman & the MCAT

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by guamboy, Dec 28, 2008.

1. guamboy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys/girls,
    I'm a freshman attending UCSD and I was wondering if it is a good idea to begin studying for the MCAT now? I've never been a good test taker, so the recommended 3-4 months dont seem enough for me.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. scaredoflife

scaredoflife Eaaagglleee
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well seeing as how you are a freshman you haven't had the courses that are contained within a MCAT. So I could see how you are ready to battle the fight, but just sit on the sidelines and learn the material within the classes that you will take pertaining to the MCAT. My two cents goodluck on the college experience.

4. junkct

5+ Year Member

well I guess it's good that you're at least thinking about it right now... when you actually start studying for the mcat (a few months before the test) you, like most people, will probably use test prep books to study. Test prep books are basically like your gen chem, ochem, phys, and bio classes condensed into review notes. So really, the only thing you can do right now is PAY ATTENTION in your classes and make sure that when you are studying for a test or something, you're not just memorizing info or studying FOR the test, but you're studying to LEARN THE MATERIAL, the concepts, the background, everything like the back of your hand. This means that you should get used to reading the textbook, because while your profs may teach you formulas and info specifically for your midterms/finals, the textbook is where everything pretty much comes together, and reading the textbook will allow you to understand it a whole lot better. Then, when you begin really studying for the MCAT, the test prep books will be a heck of a lot easier to understand (they are rather cursory IMO, i.e. if you haven't been exposed to the material ahead of time it might make it difficult to learn) and then you can go straight to focusing on strategy, rather than learning the content. This is what I did, and now during my practice mcats I'm consistently scoring in the teens on the sciences. good luck!

5. creativekat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    as a fellow triton, i recommend you do well in your classes now. don't f around, don't cut corners, learn all of the material really, really well. if you have an A in the class, go for the A+...sounds really geeky but it really helps when studying for the mcats to know *everything* (and it makes your transcript look really pretty).

6. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The earliest would be the summer after your sophomore year. I suggest taking it later to give yourself more of a buffer in case you need to reapply. Not only is it great to have a break after being in school for so long, you can also eliminate the stress of having interviews and school at the same time, and you can further strengthen your application.