Freshman with bad first semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordanamsu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman at Michigan State University. This year I took general chem, chem lab, calculus, anthropology, and substance abuse. At the beginning of the year I had a really hard time and I failed my first two chem tests. I did well on the third test and final but it wasn't enough to salvage my grade and I ended up getting a 2.0 in chemistry. My overall gpa is probably going to be a 2.89 or possibly a 3.0. I know now the amount of effort I need to put in to each class to get the grades I know I can achieve. Will med schools look past this first semester if I improve and start doing better? It's going to be hard to get my gpa up after it's this low, but will they look past it as long as I am doing significantly better in the next semesters to come? I am interested in both MD and DO schools. Please let me know what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a freshman at Michigan State University. This year I took general chem, chem lab, calculus, anthropology, and substance abuse. At the beginning of the year I had a really hard time and I failed my first two chem tests. I did well on the third test and final but it wasn't enough to salvage my grade and I ended up getting a 2.0 in chemistry. My overall gpa is probably going to be a 2.89 or possibly a 3.0. I know now the amount of effort I need to put in to each class to get the grades I know I can achieve. Will med schools look past this first semester if I improve and start doing better? It's going to be hard to get my gpa up after it's this low, but will they look past it as long as I am doing significantly better in the next semesters to come? I am interested in both MD and DO schools. Please let me know what you think!

They will certainly look past a bad first semester! No worries, just learn from the experience. :)

Yes you can recover. Make sure this doesn't happen to you again, and you will be fine regarding your chances for med school. No school will write you off based on a single semester, as long as everything else when you apply is competitive.

Yes.
Go seek out your school's counseling center for help with problems.

My overall gpa is probably going to be a 2.89 or possibly a 3.0. I know now the amount of effort I need to put in to each class to get the grades I know I can achieve. Will med schools look past this first semester if I improve and start doing better?