freshman year extracurricular activies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riotgurl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have a quick question about extracurriculars. I'm a freshman this year at Santa Clara U, and I'm deciding about what I should get involved in. I know you're supposed to do the volunteering and the research, but how do med schools look upon things like working for the school newspaper or campus radio station? These are things I'm really interested in doing. Should I go for them?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do what you think the medical schools will think are interesting...
ONLY DO IT cuz YOU think it will be interesting...
It's your first year..relax a little. You've got four more years to impress others...Go to a party and relax...
Do what you enjoy this year...do the Radio station...and everything else...you will not get into research cuz you don't have enough background yet...even if you did get into it...I don't recommend getting into it your first year cuz then your next 3 years will be pretty rough. It's hard to balance research with a lot of other activities :(
SOOOOOOOO......
CHILL...it's your first year...focus on grades..don't worry about the MCAT...and do what you enjoy...maybe a volunteeer at the hospital or something....