Freshman year grades when applying to MSW programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twilson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My freshman year was considerably bumpy and my grades were horrible because I was in a major I had no business being in and because my advisor didn't explain to me exactly what a W on my transcript would mean:
-I have 4 Ws just in my freshman year(chem 2 times, trig and one other class)
-Some Cs and Ds (biology and math and a political science class)
In the end I had a 2.44 GPA.

Last year after switching out of the major I have managed to get a 3.4 and 3.6, and I expect a GPA between 3.2-3.6 for this semester. How badly will my freshman year reflect on my application to a MSW program?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not exactly sure about MSW programs, but I do know that in clinical psychology MA and PhD programs, they look at your overall GPA, last 60 hours GPA, and your major GPA. From those figures, it will be evident that your 2.44 isn't reflective of your current performance. You should be ok if you keep up the good work and finish strong.

Yep, when I applied to MSW programs, they asked about my cumulative GPA and my GPA for my last 2 years of undergrad and/or last 90 units. I had a relatively poor (under 3.0) cumulative GPA for my sophomore year, and the programs I applied to didn't seem to care. I got into some great MSW schools with a cumulative 3.3 GPA. (I also took two years off and worked in the field between undergrad and grad school, which helps further negate low grades early in college.)

I am in the same boat as you to a certain extent. I graduated with an undergrad degree of 2.98(most schools want a 3.0). My first 2 years of undergrad study was around a 2.8 and my last 2 years was a 3.09 for a cumulative undergrad GPA of 2.98(give or take). I also have two W's on my transcript. Undergrad is often a bumpy road for many people.

Though, I decided to go for a Masters in Psychology where I pulled off a 3.95 :). On top of that, I volunteer at a psychiatric hospital and a Child Study Center. I've also written a thesis and presented at two conferences. I am hoping this will be enough, and my 2.99 won't hold me back. I am also applying to PsyD programs, as well as the MSW programs. Thus, I believe this represents me as a student.

Either way, try to do as much as possible to offset your GPA.

Last edited: