Freshman Year + Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamxfly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know this is a familiar topic, but everyone's story is different. I just finished my freshman year with a 2.40 GPA. :( I am taking summer school to retake the classes that I didn't pass.

I know that I screwed up freshman year and I have to bear the consequences now. But will this affect my chance of getting into med school? Please share your experiences:

Members don't see this ad.

I did poorly (2.5) my first semester at school, but I have done extremely well since then...if you buckle down and do well the next 3, you shouldnt have a problem. They look at trends...say if you end up with a 3.6 or 3.7, getting just about straight A's from now until then...and someone else starts with a 4.0 and ends with a 3.6, you look a lot better than they do

A bad first year isn't unusual while students sort out what learning style they need to be successful, while managing the distractions of campus life.

If you get perfect grades from now on, you'll potentially have a 3.2 after sophomore year, 3.46 at the end of junior year, and 3.5 when you graduate. With summer school, you'd be higher. With an above average MCAT score, you'd be competitive for allo and ostopathic med schools.

But you don't have any more room for lower grades. Any B you get, sets back the salvage of your GPA.