Freshman year schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erwin Schrödinger

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a senior in high school planning to major in chem in college. I was wondering what your schedules were for your freshman year of undergrad? I know I'm going to take gen chem next year, but I don't know what other premed classes, if any, I should take next year. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would try to take as little as possible for pre med classes in your first semester, maybe one or two but don't overload. Sometimes people have difficulty transitioning to college in terms of time management, studying more effectively etc. so I think it might be better to take more like 3 gen eds and gen chem + calc or something so you don't overload with science right away. Just my two sense but I did poorly my first semester due to transitioning to college life and those were my worst science grades out of all 4 years. I know thats just my experience but idk maybe other people have different views, but good luck!

Hey, I'm a senior in high school planning to major in chem in college. I was wondering what your schedules were for your freshman year of undergrad? I know I'm going to take gen chem next year, but I don't know what other premed classes, if any, I should take next year. Thanks!
Typically bio 1 + gen Chem 1. You can throw in Calc/stats if you're ready.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here was mine
S1: Gen Chem 1, Intro Psych, 2 Freshman survey classes, Spanish 2
S2: Gen Chem 2, Art GEC, Stats, Spanish 3 (I already had credit for Bio and Calc, otherwise, I know a lot of people do one of these S2 of freshman year)

My advice would be to not go neck deep in credit hours. Give yourself some breathing room to adjust to college. Even if you did a ton of AP or IB in high school, college is a different atmosphere. Spread your GECs out for a few years to balance out the hard sciences/time-consuming prereqs with some easy A classes like psych, socio, art, writing, etc. It's not impossible to do O Chem, Physics, and another 6 credits of upper level science all in the same semester, but its damn hard to make stellar grades and eat all that content if you've got them all on your weekly plate of pancakes.

Reactions: 1 user
I would try to take as little as possible for pre med classes in your first semester, maybe one or two but don't overload. Sometimes people have difficulty transitioning to college in terms of time management, studying more effectively etc. so I think it might be better to take more like 3 gen eds and gen chem + calc or something so you don't overload with science right away. Just my two sense but I did poorly my first semester due to transitioning to college life and those were my worst science grades out of all 4 years. I know thats just my experience but idk maybe other people have different views, but good luck!
I agree. I only took Bio 1 my first semester plus other classes. Best move of my life.

Psychology 101, Sociology 101, College Algebra, English 101 lol, I didn't take any science courses until my second semester.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I took 18 credits with Bio I plus lab and Orgo I plus lab.

Yikes, orgo right from the get-go

I'm in the same boat as you, OP, and I've made a vague outline of what I plan to take:
-Gen Chem 1 (I'm in Chem AP now)
-Major prerequisite (recommended for first semester)
-Calculus (I'm taking multivariable now, so I think it may be better to take this while the material is still fresh in my mind)
-Spanish 1/Humanities 1/Fine Arts prereq

I'm guessing Penguin was exempt from basic chem through AP creds? Also curious about this.
Oh yeah so the chem sequence at my school goes like Gen chem I -> orgo I -> orgo II -> Gen chem II. I got exempted from gen Chen I with AP so I started with orgo I. Finished orgo II this past semester and moving on to gen chem II.
EDIT: I know some universities go out of sequence like mine!

Reactions: 1 user