Freshman year scheduling

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by FutureDoc18, May 27, 2008.

1. FutureDoc18

Pre-Medical
    whats up. I don't schedule my freshman classes for another few weeks, but I was wondering if there were any classes that yall would recommend me taking 1st and 2nd semester. I will be majoring in Biology. Any help is appreciated

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Carlin

Carlin Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You should probably get started with your pre-reqs. If you want to major in biology, you should take the first intro bio class. You should also think about taking calculus I and general chemistry. You don't want to overload yourself your first semester though. Make a schedule of when you're going to take all of your prereqs (2 sems each of calc, gen chem, orgo, physics, bio, and English) so that you aren't rushing at the end of college.

Good for you for thinking about this so early. Just don't get too wrapped up in premed stuff so early. It can drive you crazy after a while.

4. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I would recommend talking with your colleges pre-professional adviser and follow the appropriate course sequencing for your degree.

5. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Banned Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    english

Novakaine likes this.
  6. FutureDoc18

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the comments everyone,except xanthomondo. I realize that the best thing to do is talk with my pre-med advisor. Sometimes the advice given by the advisor isn't beneficial, and I just want to make sure that I take the most important classes sooner than later, ya know?

7. neuro1617

Pre-Medical
    Make sure you get early bios-bio 1 & 2 & gen chem 1 & 2 out of the way so you can take upper-levels later on. It's important that you get gen chem done so you can take the organic sequence soph/jr year before the MCAT. Also I'd try to balance science courses w/ humanities or gen eds to round out the constant science courses every sem.

8. neuro1617

Pre-Medical
    Yeah and I'd try to get freshman english comp out of the way.

9. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician

Attending Physician
    Your academic advisor, faculty advisor, or pre-medical advisor will be able to help you select courses. As a biology major you're looking at courses such as:

Gen chem
    Biochem
    Possibly analytical chem
    Organic
    Physics
    English
    Math
    Cell bio
    Genetics
    A&P
    Ecology
    Microbiology

Just follow your course guidelines, you'll be fine.

10. 135892

135892 Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I will tell you exactly what to take:

1st semester: Bio 1, Chem 1, Calc 1, an easy gen-ed, and either Bio lab or Chem lab (or you can take both labs if you want)

2nd semester: Bio 2, Chem 2, Calc 2, a gen-ed (perhaps english), and Bio/Chem labs

11. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane

Resident [Any Field]
    Keep in mind:

1. All universities are different. Some group labs, some do not. Keep yourself at or around 15-16 hours when possible. Calc II is not required for a bio degree in many schools, nor is it needed for most med schools. Calc is not tested on the MCAT.

2. A myth on campus will be that you should take Gen Eds first. That is not true. try mixing in sci classes with non science classes.

3. Save easy classes sometimes. It helps create an upward trend illusion.

4. Never take the advice of a message board over that of your adviser's and school resources.

12. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Is that like saying "This statement is false"?

Seriously, I've heard of some people getting really terrible advice from advisers. In fact, advising seems to be more of a crapshoot than a reliable source of help. I did all my own research for med school and probably wouldn't have gone to a pre-med adviser even if UNC had one. The information you get on this board will be plenty accurate and useful.

13. 135892

135892 Guest

Except when that advice is mine :smuggrin:

But yeah, of course, only you know what is good for you. These just seemed like the courses that a alot of science/pre-med kids take their first semesters (at my school). Your advisors will go over these sorts of things anyway (whether you choose to listen or not is your call), don't worry bro.

14. Insulinshock

Insulinshock Class of 2022

Resident [Any Field]
    Chem 1 and 2, as well as Bio. And make sure you do very well as these will act as a buffer down the road in the event you slip up a semester.

15. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Banned Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    you're welcome.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. UFGatorMed

Yeah I was a bum first year. Only got GenChem out of the way... And I was a bum second year... Only got Ochem out of the way. Maybe I will be a bum 3rd year too. Maybe I won't finish all the pre-reqs and not get into med school. :mad:

18. 135892

135892 Guest

haha... atleast you have me beat, I didn't even finish gen chem my first year

19. FutureDoc18

Pre-Medical
    Again, I want to thank everyone for their replies.You've all been extremely helpful and I appreciate it very much. Bring it on UGrad :cool:!

20. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . .

Resident [Any Field]
    does your schools advising center have sheets with proposed courses for all 4 years?

they typically know which courses are more difficult and how you should group them to decrease your stress. in lieu of this, i'd go with what another poster said about taking the following:

Go easy on yourself for freshman year (~12-13 hours). Get a handle on a few courses, then you can increase your credit load to 15-16 hours subsequent semesters. College is different than high school and it'd be a bummer for you to take on too much and regret the poor grades later.