Freshman Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adaggiote

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

It has been a while since I have made a post, so I think it is about time. This summer I plan to enroll at Mountainview College for to ake some courses before the year starts. I am taking:

Comp. 1
Comp. 2
Developmental Math (to improve math skills before coll. alg.)
US Hist 1 and 2
Texas Govt.

In the fall, I plan to take General Biology and general Chemistry as well as College algebra and 2 general education classes. How is this schedule overall. After this, I plan to transfer to a state University and apply for a program known as JAMP, which allows 'economically disadvantaged' students to obtain a guaranteed spot in a state med. school as long as they meet the requirements. If you have any comments, please leave them below. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

It has been a while since I have made a post, so I think it is about time. This summer I plan to enroll at Mountainview College for to ake some courses before the year starts. I am taking:

Comp. 1
Comp. 2
Developmental Math (to improve math skills before coll. alg.)
US Hist 1 and 2
Texas Govt.

In the fall, I plan to take General Biology and general Chemistry as well as College algebra and 2 general education classes. How is this schedule overall. After this, I plan to transfer to a state University and apply for a program known as JAMP, which allows 'economically disadvantaged' students to obtain a guaranteed spot in a state med. school as long as they meet the requirements. If you have any comments, please leave them below. Thanks.

woah! 4 courses over the summer including math? Does your school have 2 summer sessions?

guessing by your post you're in high school. If your gonna take summer classe, I'd take 1 or 2. college is different than high school, and 4 courses over the summer is a lot!

woah! 4 courses over the summer including math? Does your school have 2 summer sessions?

guessing by your post you're in high school. If your gonna take summer classe, I'd take 1 or 2. college is different than high school, and 4 courses over the summer is a lot!

Yes, I am a HS Senior. The summer courses are of course divided into 2 semesters. I have already taken dual credit govt and psychology and made As in both, so I do not think these will be too difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
dude its the summer before your freshman year of college, live it up man dont take 5 classes just because you can, hang out with pals go camping do something relaxing, you'll regret taking 5 classes during the summer when college actually starts

dude its the summer before your freshman year of college, live it up man dont take 5 classes just because you can, hang out with pals go camping do something relaxing, you'll regret taking 5 classes during the summer when college actually starts

Screwing around before school starts is not really the ideal summer for me. I am trying to finish my degree in four years before I matriculate....hopefully.

Alright.. Comp 1 & 2 = Composition i.e English or Comp sci? If it's the latter then I recommend rethinking your summer because computer science usually requires a strong grasp of math (logic) and during the regular semester is around 10-20 hours out of class programing. Disregard this if you're talking about English.

On the other courses you're probably ok. US history if you're a history buff won't be difficult at all and developmental math probably won't be too tough if you put in sufficient practice time. Finally since you're an ascending freshman.. I recommend visiting ratemyprofessors.com to check your teachers in advance before taking them to insure you're not taking an extremely anal retentive teacher.

Alright.. Comp 1 & 2 = Composition i.e English or Comp sci? If it's the latter than I recommend rethinking your summer because computer science usually requires a strong grasp of math (logic) and during the regular semester is around 10-20 hours out of class programing. Disregard this if you're talking about English.

I was actually talking about Englidsh. I am not disregarding your post because it increases my post count. HUUURRRAYYYY!

You're going to finish in four years no matter what. There's no need to blow your last free summer in years.

Screwing around before school starts is not really the ideal summer for me. I am trying to finish my degree in four years before I matriculate....hopefully.

?
doesnt everyone finish their degree in 4 years, that pretty much the norm for a BA/BS

if you want to be really productive during the summer, work on some ECs like volunteering at hospitals and stuff. You will thank yourself in the future when you're taking 20 credits, doing research and cant fit any volunteering time into your schedule.
Remember EC's have a pretty big weight in your app aswell.

?
doesnt everyone finish their degree in 4 years, that pretty much the norm for a BA/BS
This. Unless you do something drastic, like change majors late in the game, or transfer to a new school with different degree requirements, I don't think you'll have a problem finishing in 4 years. Taking that many classes in the summer is a really bad idea anyway. It would really suck to destroy your GPA for no apparent reason before you even start freshman year.

You will regret taking summer school.

I want to agree with all of the above posters. You will be able to finish your degree in 4 years and matriculate no problem without taking summer classes (I never took a single summer class and will be graduating in the normal 4 years and starting med school this summer). This is probably the last time you are going to be able to see your HS friends, once everyone goes away to school things get really busy, I've lost touch with a lot of my HS friends over the course of college. It will difficult to see people over breaks since schools often have breaks at different times and over the summer people will often stay at school for research/work/classes or go on trips. It gets hard to stay in touch enjoy this time now (time spent now will also help lead to a better chance of remaining in contact in the future).

Maintaining friendships may not be your highest priority though (understandable I am certainly of the thought that a few strong relationships are better than having a million friends) in that case there are plenty of better things you can be doing to improve your chances at med school. Summers are valuable time for building strong ECs. Use this time to volunteer, shadow a doctor, get a job, or do something unique. Getting a head start on building strong ECs will give you better returns when you finally apply. Think about it like this will having a couple extra classes make you more desirable to an adcom or being able to write about some really cool experience or position you held.

i honestly don't see anything wrong with taking summer classes before your freshman year starts. just take it slow, or else it can become overwhelming.

Yes, I am a HS Senior. The summer courses are of course divided into 2 semesters. I have already taken dual credit govt and psychology and made As in both, so I do not think these will be too difficult.

they won't be difficult, pick the right professors then your are fine.

I'm dual-enrolled full time about to get an associates.

While I agree with the generalopinion here that you should do something fun, aka not school, durring that summer, if you do decide to take classes I'd only take a max of 4 over the summer. More then that and you might be risking bad grades, especially with a math and 2 english classes. ( no, English isn't that hard, but when you have a big paper and a math test due at once.... ones probably gonna suffer)

While I agree with the generalopinion here that you should do something fun, aka not school, durring that summer, if you do decide to take classes I'd only take a max of 4 over the summer. More then that and you might be risking bad grades, especially with a math and 2 english classes. ( no, English isn't that hard, but when you have a big paper and a math test due at once.... ones probably gonna suffer)

well 4 classes in 2 terms. So two classes each month. Not too bad.

But yea if you plan on taking a summer course obviously it's more fast paced, but if your dedicated go for it. Obviously right now it's not too bad, but beware if you plan on taking multiple upper level courses during summer or any shortmesters in the future

well 4 classes in 2 terms. So two classes each month. Not too bad.

But yea if you plan on taking a summer course obviously it's more fast paced, but if your dedicated go for it. Obviously right now it's not too bad, but beware if you plan on taking multiple upper level courses during summer or any shortmesters in the future

Thanks! I will avoid taking courses liek cell bio and physics during the summer...