Freshman's Nightmare: How should we prepare for 1st year dental school?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by pibozh, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pibozh

pibozh Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hello my Dear friends in SDN,

There are a lot of students like me who are going to start their first year next Fall. We are in desperate need for some good advice about how to get ready for our first year. In my interviews everybody said don't worry about it and just go and have as much fun as you can, cause when you start you won't have time for that... Now I want to know how can I prepare myself for that first year that seems to be really hard..Review Anatomy?Biochemistry? What are some good things you would do before dental school begins if you were starting all over again? I am out of school next semester so I have plenty of time which I really don't like to waste; like when I wan younger :thumbup:

Thanks a lot

2. DIRTIE

DIRTIE Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would get a full time job working in a general dentists office. It will give you added confidence and help with the little things when you get started. As far as studying, probably just a waste of time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DcS

DcS damn the red baron
    7+ Year Member

I am confused. You got great advice from actual students who said to enjoy the calm before the storm. You then completely ignored that advice and asked what to study. I will echo what many others here will say and go enjoy your life and personal relationships before they all go to hell. There's no point reviewing anything really because you don't know what part of each subject your school will focus on. IF you MUST study something, i would learn the skull and foramens, cranial nerves, etc. A base knowledge of that would help in anatomy down the line. Otherwise, i would suggest listening to what you were told and relax.

4. pibozh

pibozh Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You are talking about STORM and I am looking for some advice to know what is the best way to get prepared for that STORM. Everybody are complaining about first year and how everything is so hard,so I'm kind of confused myself too when I hear them saying "don't worry about it ". Let' see what other people have to say about that...

No I did not. I simply need more insights. I think that "Taking it Easy" is not the best way to get prepared for that. There is plenty of time and energy that we can use it in better ways, trust me.

5. divertete

divertete Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I second both opinions (relax, spend more time in a real office), and listen when we tell you to just take it easy!

Edited to add:
    The "storm" is NOT about anything being particularly hard. The storm comes because you will have many classes at once, which results in too many things to do and not enough time to do them. Even if you were a biochem major (like me), you will still have to study for your biochem tests almost as much as everyone else because things are presented in a different way. If you try to study for a subject now, it's mostly a waste of time because: 1) you probably won't remember it all so you'll have to study it again anyway 2) there's no way to know what exactly to go over.

When you're in school, you are so busy because you have commitments outside of science lecture classes, namely lab work. Many of my classmates are becoming burnt out, NOT because school is hard, NOT because they are struggling in the classes, NOT because they study every second of every day (which we don't). They are simply tired of the constant barrage of work and tests and stress. If you allow yourself to take a break and go into this experience fresh and ready to learn, you will be very well off. However, if you try to prepare for it by studying, you will go into it tired and frustrated because everything is not what you thought it would be like.

I hope I'm not talking to the wall here. Trust us, really. If you must do something, by all means go work in a dental office, pour up some gypsum, play with wax, learn what the instruments are, learn how to communicate with patients. This practical knowledge will take you much further in the long run.

6. HuyetKiem

HuyetKiem Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Don't listen to those guys! Study in-depth biochem, anatomy, physiology, micro,neuro and histology. If you still have some extra free time, buy a set of dental decks and memorize every cards. For your hand skills, buy an old wax up set of instruments and wax every tooth. First year is tough and you must prepare for the STORM before hand. :D :D :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. crazy_sherm

crazy_sherm å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    The thing that makes dental school hard is not so much the subject matter, but more the shear amount of work you have to get done in such a short amount of time all the while training your eyes and hands. You will find yourself having very little time for non-school related stuff, so be as efficient as possible.

So, i guess a few things you could do to prepare for life as a dental student are:

- get used to being out of the loop on current events or tv shows
    - get used to not sleeping much
    - get used to ignoring friends and family
    - learn how to eyeball the difference between 1mm and 1.5mm
    - learn to stop slouching
    - realize that you'll likely fail something, either a test or practical

There's nothing wrong with taking a couple classes to try and prepare, but more likely than not, dental school will be a completely new experience. It's definitely more intense than I could have imagined. I took anatomy the semester before and it definitely helped...for about 3 weeks. Then I was in the same boat as everyone else because the detail was way greater than undergrad.

8. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You should get plenty of exercise....I recommend the 12oz curls. Slowly work your way up to the 40oz curl.

9. Thaxil

Thaxil Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I would suggest for you to re-read your undergrad Organic Chemistry text from cover to cover. This will benefit you just as much for Dental school than anything else.

What I did was worked full time to pay off the debt I accumulated in applying to school and preparing for the up coming cross country move. Enjoy your free time now because it will be a distant memory after school starts. I can not image arriving to d-school already stress out, I would not survive the semester.

However, one thing you can do is speak with admission and find out if you can test out of certain course before school starts!! One common one is Histology, which is a bitch of a course with lab and lecture. If you test out, this will free up an extra 6 hours a week to get ahead of everyone, which I think this is you motivation. What ever, I gave up on competition after completing first year; what is the point I have no desire to specialize.

10. pibozh

pibozh Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks alot everybody, Your inputs and insights are very important and helpful for me. I wish you all the best and I pray for your survival in the Storm :thumbup:

11. WestCoast

WestCoast OMFS
    10+ Year Member

get omfs secrets and start memorizing.

12. adamlc18

adamlc18 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I recommend making some money and buying some nice toys (tv, car, whatever floats your boat) because once you are living on loan money, about the most variety you get with buying stuff is what flavor of ramen should I buy and do I buy skim, 1%, or whole milk? :smuggrin:

13. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist

one thing i have learned in life is that you always go with what the majority says. if everyone has told you that 1st year is hard and that you should just relax and enjoy yourself, than thats most probably what is best for you.

there must be a reason for why people tell you to relax and enjoy your time off. now i do agree with you that there must be something you could do. here are my suggestions for you:

1. shadow/work for a dentist. you may already have, but this time pay more attention to how he uses his instruments. it will help you in your lab courses.
    2. get a girlfriend. take her out. if you cant get one or cannot afford one, fantasize about having one. go to the movies with your parents and pretend you are out on a date. if you do have one or are in a relationship, spend as much time with her as possible. do a lot of fun things. go out and then go out again. you wont be doing that stuff much once you start school.
    3. travel, do something adventurous since this is your only time for a while.
    4. here is a good one. watch TV. watch all the games. there gonna be some really good match ups on TV.

if none of those suggestions appeal to you, then you are helpless and only books could help you. start with anatomy (head and neck only although you mind tells you you need to know it all). follow it with some physiology, histo, biochem, ethics blah.

ok enough said. good luck in all you do.

14. adamlc18

adamlc18 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Now that is not completely accurate. I have heard that several of the OMFS residents on this board have plenty of time while in residency to pretend they are out on a date when they go to the movies with their parents.

15. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.